A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: panda sleep mask!!! (TUTORIAL ON PAGE 3)  (Read 14224 times)
Tags for this thread: sleeping_mask , sleepmask , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008 11:27:37 AM »

so funny!! and so cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

julyseventeen
handmade clothing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008 01:10:22 PM »

That is REALLY cute!! I need one haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pandaz
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008 06:18:55 PM »

that is fantastic! can you give a semi tute? Did you just recover it or make a completely new one?

hm. you know... if you market, they will buy Smiley

ill post a tute in one second here. I recovered one my mom gave me, it was super comfy so i didnt want to risk making my own and have it be no fun to wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pandaz
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008 06:26:46 PM »

i made a tute but photobucket scaled it down, ill post the text under it again.

STEP 1)
The first step to this adorable panda mask is toplan out what it is you want this little guy to look like! Take your pencil and paper and sketch out a rough  draft, play with size/placement of the forms of the eyes/nose/ears so that it looks just right for the mask you have. You should draw 2 eye pieces, mirror images of eachother, one nose piece, and 4 ear pieces, all identical. Once you do that, cut out the pieces, leaving about a quarter inch border around them.

STEP 2)
Take the cut out face pieces and pin them onto the black shirt, cut the shapes out of the fabric. Then cut slits all the way around from the outside of the pice, into the origonal line shape you made. Do this to the eye and nose pieces, NOT the ears.This is so you can fold the edges over neatly and have a clean edge when you sew it down.

STEP 3)
Next youre going to want to take your sleep mask and lay it under a layer of the white shirt, take the pencil and trace the edge of the mask. My mask had a black border already, so I traced where the inside edge of that black border was.

STEP 4)
Then cut out the white shape just as you did before, leaving a 1/4 in border around the actual drawn size, and cut slits around the edge.

STEP 5)
Now with the cut out black pieces, take the glue stick and put a little glue arund the edge
on the underside. (this is so you can fold over the edge flaps and have them stay down for when you sew)

STEP 6)
Right after the piece is glued, go around the edge and fold down one flap at a time, making a smooth rounded edge. Do steps 5 and 6 to both eye pieces, the nose piece, and the white piece.

STEP 7)
Now sew the two eye pieces and the nose peice onto the white piece in the place you would like them to go. I had to do this by hand becuase I couldnt find my sewing machine, but do as you please. I also used the black thread for this part of the project.

STEP Cool
This part is a bit tricky. What you have to do now is pin the panda face down over the sleep mask, covering the ucky patern up, but leaving as equal of a border as you can. it should fit fine, but you just want to make sure its in the right spot before you start to sew. This you also have to do by hand now with the WHITE thread. Send the needle in from the back of the mask where an ear is going to go, this way it will cover up the white knot. After that just go around the edge, pushing the needle through like your puting on a saftey pin, but just dont let it go through the back. This way the back will stay black without white thread showing.

STEP 9)
Now the ears! yay! Pin together two ear pieces so that they line up with eacother. Take the black thread and sew around the edge of the ear, leaving the bottom open to stuff. Then flip the ear inside out so you have a nice seam.

STEP 10)
Taking the cotton balls, pull on each of them a little just to losen them up/make them fluffier. Put one ball in each ear and kind of mess  with them a little to get them shaped just right. Add more cotton or take some out depending on how they are looking.

STEP 11)
Now to stitch them on the back, by hand, with the black thread. This was pretty awkward, i kind of made it up as i went. First pin the ear on the back of the sleep mask with  the bottom edge folded up under the ear.

STEP 12)
First what i did was go along the bottom of the ear and stitch that edge down, much
like i did with the front white piece, i started the stitch below the ear, and had it come out on top of the ear. making sure not to sew all the way through to the front. I hid the knot between the ear and the mask.

STEP 13)
Do the same for the top half of the ear (trying to hide the threadbehind the edge of the mask as much as possible, while still keeping the ear perky) and your all set for an adorable nights sleep!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008 06:53:22 PM »

Cute tute!
Well illustrated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008 10:06:36 PM »

Great tute!!! Thanks for sharing.  I've bookmarked this.  I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mitchell-b

currently knitting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008 08:16:55 AM »

Thanks for sharing the tute! It's sooo cute. I'll have to make one myself =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pandamayhem
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2008 10:39:30 PM »

So cute! Thanks for the tutorial! I don't have much need for sleeping masks myself, but my mom has asked me to make one for her... This is the perfect time to spread some panda love Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop: A Strawberry Inside Cheesy
craftchick11270
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2008 11:30:38 AM »

awesome!!!!!!!!! insanely cute!!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
applesonastick
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008 09:25:19 PM »

AWESOME tute! very clear and great illustrations. definitely gonna make this for my panda-crazy sister (:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Thai Curry Ingredients
Making the Thai Paste for Red Thai Curry
Sweetening Red Thai Curry
Assembling Red Thai Curry
Adding Sauce to Red Thai Curry
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...