A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hopping on the shrinky fusion bandwagon! *update with new shinies, now img fat!*  (Read 1415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2008 01:21:24 PM »

Wheee! So as soon as I heard about shrinky dink fusing I knew I had to try it. I did these a couple of days ago for the Shrinky Dink OTT Swap. One of those pieces is on its way to Imagine, so it's not here, but these are my first experiments, which is why they are pretty basic. Nice enough, I think, but basic.

Then I was looking at loves2experiment's thread and an idea hit me like a sixteen ton weight in a Monty Python sketch. I just had to run and grab the pens and warm up the oven straight away.
Remember those melted CD necklaces? Well, the shrinky on the left has shards of CD melted into it. That's what all the shiny sparkle is about. The flash actually showed this off really well for once! (The other one is just normal glitter. I liked it enough to post it alongside.)

They aren't yet perfect: I've concluded that it's not worth using the purple pen - at best, it goes grey: at worst, it goes... icky, and it usually just disappears. And I like the "crowded" ones - the second ones - better than the first ones. But hey, that's what experiments are all about, right? Smiley

***ETA***

OMG I think I'm hooked on the fumes or something. Made some more today, all including bits of CD. Can't get enough of the shininess.

The dragonfly stayed in for a bit too long and warped, but oh well Cheesy The black and silver stuff turned out classy, but the hole in the big pendant closed up during melting so I'm going to have to fix that! The two little pieces on the bottom I love and are very soon to be made into a pair of earrings.

Comments and critique always welcome!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008 12:44:53 PM by talyra - Reason: more! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
adiemonster

hiphopmapotamus v.s rymnoserous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008 01:31:04 PM »

yours are beautiful!!i am actually taking a break from making mine, i think i have tottaly screwd upo as it is not sticking! Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS SWAP 2!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=280446.0
(this is info forum)
talyra
likes shiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008 01:47:32 PM »

Thankyou! Cheesy

D'you have an oven thermometer? I don't think they are too expensive - it might be worth checking your oven is at the temperature it says it is Cheesy It sounds like you're not heating them for long enough or getting them hot enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008 02:28:35 PM »

ohhhh I need to try this!!!!!!  the cds are sooo pretty and what a great way to use them instead of tossing them....eh....who throws anything away anymore!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
adiemonster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008 02:31:13 PM »

i have been using a heat gun ,oven is busted. it sticks for a while but then falss off if i touch it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(this is info forum)
talyra
likes shiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008 05:28:32 AM »

SunflowerSmiles - cheers! Glad you like 'em!

adiemonster - Sounds like you heat gun's not getting the shrinkies hot enough to melt them properly. You have to melt the shrinkies at almost double the temperature you shrink them at. I think you might have to get your oven fixed (never mind cooking, you've got shrinkies to melt! Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adiemonster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008 06:48:33 AM »

guys coming over today to fix it. i tried last night in my toaster oven. i do NOT recomend this as 3 of my shrinkie dinks fell off my tray and down to the bottom of the toaster oven! they started to melt all over the bottom, i got them out but i thought i might have to throw it out!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(this is info forum)
talyra
likes shiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008 09:57:56 AM »

Oops! Shocked Still, they melted, so you're on the right track, LOL Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydebs

Just too busy being fabulous!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008 08:01:49 AM »

Those are pretty sweet and props on adding the bits of CD!  I have actually tried this once and my results were pretty interesting to say the least...lol...I need more practice with it but overall it was fun to play around with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May you be in heaven for thirty minutes before the devil even knows you are dead.- Old Irish Toast

http://wists.com/craftydebs
talyra
likes shiny things

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008 12:39:03 PM »

Cheers!

I think it helps that I'm mega paranoid and check on them about once every thirty seconds after they start to melt Roll Eyes It means I can snatch them out of the oven the second they start to look "done". My excuse for the dragonfly is that I got distracted...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Crafts for Kids
How to Upcycle Fashions With Dyed Buttons
Floral Cupcake Ideas
Easter Crafting Ideas
Glowing Giant Spider Web on the Cheap
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...