A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skully Sweater..HELP!  (Read 8068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mojo
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004 07:11:01 AM »

I thought I'd share my Skully sweater sadness.  I finished this project a while back-- it was my first sweater.  Sadly, it didn't fit my husband (the intended wearer) and it didn't fit me.  I shopped it around my family and finally found someone it fit (yes, it's the Cinderella sweater!).  But alas, no happy ending here.  This person just returned it to me because she finds it way too heavy and itchy to wear (actually, she called it a "hairshirt").  I had used the Lamb's Pride called for in the pattern.  So, the moral of this story?  If you hate really heavy, itchy sweaters... choose a different yarn! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004 05:51:42 PM »

my skully ended well, although I must admit it's not technically _completed_... I still need to sew in ends.

Here are photos:
http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3244.JPG

http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3245.JPG

http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3246.JPG

http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3248.JPG

The last one shows how I made the sides of the body in a wide rib, so the overall effect is fitted.  I sewed the skirt from a pattern I made, and appliqued the flowers.  Whew, and now the images are up!
--susan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004 06:21:57 PM by susank » THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxwell17
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004 06:35:03 PM »

susank,
 you're sweater looks great! i really like the combination of the ribbing and the bell sleeves; it looks like it could have been designed that way. How much ribbing did you do, and what kind of yarn did you use? i've made the to dye for sweater from this book, but the skully never impressed me until now. your's looks so great, if you tell me your modifications i may have to try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Morbus
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004 07:01:03 AM »

it looks really good!  i like that you made it more fitted.  and i love your skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can kill you with my brain.
Goddess
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004 11:29:55 PM »

I agree with morbus, I love that it's more fitted than the book's version...how did you modify it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004 08:31:06 AM »

Thanks!  The yarn I used was Schoeller Stahl Cecil.  The tag on the ball said "5-6" so I used size 6 needles.  I didn't find out until the whole thing was knitted up that those were milimeter measurements, meaning size 8-10 needles!  So the fabric of the sweater is very dense and heavy, which is pretty interesting.  It weighs a ton.

For the ribbing, I did 3x3 ribbing on the sides of both the front and the back pieces.  I did an extra pair on each side on the back, so that the stockinette panel in the back was narrower.  I think I ended up doing about 4 pairs of ribs on each side of the front, and 5 on the back.  I just tried to do the math, and see what looked good.

I used the smallest size of the pattern, and I ended up doing the sleeves exactly to the pattern.  Except that I knit them in the round up to the skull motif intarsia (which I tried in the round 3 times, but, um, it's impossible), knit the intarsia flat, and then went back to round.  I hate sewing up more than anything.  

Let me know if there's any other details you're interested in!  I'd love to see pics of other people's Skully customizations.
--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purlgurlknits
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004 11:46:14 PM »

Huh Hi there, I'm doing the Skully pattern and I'm just on the bind off portion of the neck. Question for y'all is...when it says to "BO 2 sts at neck edge at beg of every other row until 18... sts remail on each shoulder."  I understand that I am to knit across 26 sts and BO 7 and then continue to knit the remaining 26 as directed. I then purl across (on the wrong side) the 26 again, and another 26 on the other side/shoulder...

My confusion starts when I come back (on the right side) and knit across and try to BO the 2 sts (at the neck edge), it looks funny. The BO sts are laying the wrong direction. It's fine though when I bind of the two sts on the other side/shoulder. Should I BO off the 2 sts when I come back across when I purl back? Do you know what I'm trying to say? Sigh...

Thanks in advance! i purl gurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog ||  ravelry ||  wist
swaps: handmade bird swap, coraline mystery box swap
susank
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004 08:09:59 AM »

I struggled with the language of that part, too.  Honestly, I don't think it matters in which direction you bind off, even though it goes in different directions, because that part will essentially be covered up when you pick up stitches to knit the collar.  So go with whatever's easiest for you, and post pics of your finished product!

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purlgurlknits
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004 11:31:11 PM »

Susan,

Thanks for the advise...I have finished the front. You can view it so far at http://www.purlgurl.com/blog/archives/000036.html. The neckline looks a bit uneven and lumpy, but I'm counting on having the stitches that are picked up later to cover up the funkiness.
Hope to finish this real soon. I'll definitely be back to post completed pics.

Ta,
i purlgurl
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purlgurlknits
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004 11:21:16 PM »

I finally finished my Skully sweater. I kinda got a bit silly with the intarsia pattern and didn't go with a Skull and Cross Bones theme in the end. I've posted more info and pics on my blog at

http://www.purlgurl.com/blog/archives/000048.html

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It fits nicely. A bit itchy, but I plan on wearing long sleeve shirts underneath it.
Onward Rogue! http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patterns/shop/rogue/detail.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vanilla Bean Brioche Recipe
How to Make Grilled Peaches With Amber Agave Ricotta
Banana, Caramel and Hazelnut Baked Alaska Recipe
Salted Chocolate and Gooey Caramel Cookie Recipe
How to Make Homemade Frozen Fudge Bars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...