A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skully Sweater..HELP!  (Read 8342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GummiSteph
« on: February 08, 2004 11:14:19 PM »

I am in the process of making the skully sweater from Stitch n' Bitch.  I have finished the front and back and joined them together at the shoulders.  Now I am pretty much stuck because I don't know how to pick up stitches and the book doesn't help me much.  The pattern says to pick up a certain number of stitches to start the sleeve, so do I space them out so that half of the stitches are picked up on the front arm hole and half on the back? I'm really confused because I've never done a sweater before, and I was so proud of myself getting the front and back done!  If anyone can offer any help, it would be really appreciated, and if the instructions are long, you can e-mail me at stephaniehite19@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottedknickers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004 02:35:07 AM »

Hi Steph!

It sounds like you are doing the front and the back of the sweater, stitching the shoulders and then knitting the sleeves right onto the body of the sweater (either in the round or flat).  When I do this, I pickup half on the front and half on the back.  Sometimes it's hard because half the amount of shoulder stitches can be a lot of stitches, so I also mark the quarter and 3/4 points as well.  

It sounds like you are picking up stitches okay...so you're good to go!  I like making sweaters this way because there's just less finishing that has to be done and you don't get that funky armhole seam!  For some reason, I've mastered the knitting part, but the finishing is still a mystery to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jules
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004 07:12:14 AM »

Hi Steph,

I just finished the Skully sweater.  For the armholes, I divided the amt. of stitches to pick up (mine was 56) in half, and tried to evenly pick up 28 stitches per side of sleeve.  I tried to get it as even as possible, but  no ones perfect.  It sounds as if you are definetely on the right track--and knottedknickers advice is right on, as well.  Good luck!

Cheers,
JUles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GummiSteph
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004 02:03:11 PM »

Hi! Thanks for all of your help, I picked up the stitches for one arm and am now in the middle of the intarsia skull.  I love this pattern, its so awesome!  Thanks again!
-Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittygirl
Crafty Girl who dables in the needle arts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004 03:13:12 PM »

i need help i want to do this sweater as my first sweater project but i need someone to help me resize the pattern so its about 32 around the chest and about 18 inches long i am also wondering how hard is the intarsia?? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GummiSteph
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004 11:45:19 AM »

To change the measurements, figure out the gauge of the yarn you are using with whatever needles you want, and calculate how many stitches it will take for the width and heigth to work out.  I am not sure how to explain it.  Anyway, the intarsia is not too hard.  I was really scared about doing it, but I just did a practice intarsia swatch before i started the sleeve to get the hang of it, and it is easy!  I think it would be a lot harder if it involved more than 2 colors though!  Anyway, just follow the instructions in the book and practice before you start on the sleeves, and it should work out fine!  Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittygirl
Crafty Girl who dables in the needle arts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004 12:14:02 PM »

thanx so much  Cheesy Cheesy that is just what i needed thanx!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004 12:47:52 PM »

Also, don't try intarsia in the round-- it's not possible.  I like to knit in the round rather than flat (hate sewing & finishing), but it's best to just follow the pattern on this one.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aijay
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 02:47:29 AM »

i just finished this one as well... got confused around the neck part, and ended up just doing it on double pointed needles after joining the front and back together at the shoulders.  it worked out well, and was just somehow conceptually easier for me to grasp!  the sweater is blocking as i type.  should be wearing it by the weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004 11:41:31 AM »

I found these cool buttons to match the sweater.  Not sure what use they could be for though...

http://www.reprodepotfabrics.com/skulandcrosb.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Confessions of a Wild Child by Jackie Collins
Chris Matthews on His New Book Tip and the Gipper
Visiting Quiet Dell with Jayne Anne Phillips
Chris Matthews on Politics and His Book Tip and the Gipper
Debora Spar LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...