A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,635
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Skully Sweater..HELP!  (Read 7944 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GummiSteph
« on: February 08, 2004 11:14:19 PM »

I am in the process of making the skully sweater from Stitch n' Bitch.  I have finished the front and back and joined them together at the shoulders.  Now I am pretty much stuck because I don't know how to pick up stitches and the book doesn't help me much.  The pattern says to pick up a certain number of stitches to start the sleeve, so do I space them out so that half of the stitches are picked up on the front arm hole and half on the back? I'm really confused because I've never done a sweater before, and I was so proud of myself getting the front and back done!  If anyone can offer any help, it would be really appreciated, and if the instructions are long, you can e-mail me at stephaniehite19@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knottedknickers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004 02:35:07 AM »

Hi Steph!

It sounds like you are doing the front and the back of the sweater, stitching the shoulders and then knitting the sleeves right onto the body of the sweater (either in the round or flat).  When I do this, I pickup half on the front and half on the back.  Sometimes it's hard because half the amount of shoulder stitches can be a lot of stitches, so I also mark the quarter and 3/4 points as well.  

It sounds like you are picking up stitches okay...so you're good to go!  I like making sweaters this way because there's just less finishing that has to be done and you don't get that funky armhole seam!  For some reason, I've mastered the knitting part, but the finishing is still a mystery to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jules
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004 07:12:14 AM »

Hi Steph,

I just finished the Skully sweater.  For the armholes, I divided the amt. of stitches to pick up (mine was 56) in half, and tried to evenly pick up 28 stitches per side of sleeve.  I tried to get it as even as possible, but  no ones perfect.  It sounds as if you are definetely on the right track--and knottedknickers advice is right on, as well.  Good luck!

Cheers,
JUles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GummiSteph
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004 02:03:11 PM »

Hi! Thanks for all of your help, I picked up the stitches for one arm and am now in the middle of the intarsia skull.  I love this pattern, its so awesome!  Thanks again!
-Steph
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittygirl
Crafty Girl who dables in the needle arts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004 03:13:12 PM »

i need help i want to do this sweater as my first sweater project but i need someone to help me resize the pattern so its about 32 around the chest and about 18 inches long i am also wondering how hard is the intarsia?? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GummiSteph
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004 11:45:19 AM »

To change the measurements, figure out the gauge of the yarn you are using with whatever needles you want, and calculate how many stitches it will take for the width and heigth to work out.  I am not sure how to explain it.  Anyway, the intarsia is not too hard.  I was really scared about doing it, but I just did a practice intarsia swatch before i started the sleeve to get the hang of it, and it is easy!  I think it would be a lot harder if it involved more than 2 colors though!  Anyway, just follow the instructions in the book and practice before you start on the sleeves, and it should work out fine!  Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittygirl
Crafty Girl who dables in the needle arts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004 12:14:02 PM »

thanx so much  Cheesy Cheesy that is just what i needed thanx!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004 12:47:52 PM »

Also, don't try intarsia in the round-- it's not possible.  I like to knit in the round rather than flat (hate sewing & finishing), but it's best to just follow the pattern on this one.

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aijay
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 02:47:29 AM »

i just finished this one as well... got confused around the neck part, and ended up just doing it on double pointed needles after joining the front and back together at the shoulders.  it worked out well, and was just somehow conceptually easier for me to grasp!  the sweater is blocking as i type.  should be wearing it by the weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004 11:41:31 AM »

I found these cool buttons to match the sweater.  Not sure what use they could be for though...

http://www.reprodepotfabrics.com/skulandcrosb.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mojo
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2004 07:11:01 AM »

I thought I'd share my Skully sweater sadness.  I finished this project a while back-- it was my first sweater.  Sadly, it didn't fit my husband (the intended wearer) and it didn't fit me.  I shopped it around my family and finally found someone it fit (yes, it's the Cinderella sweater!).  But alas, no happy ending here.  This person just returned it to me because she finds it way too heavy and itchy to wear (actually, she called it a "hairshirt").  I had used the Lamb's Pride called for in the pattern.  So, the moral of this story?  If you hate really heavy, itchy sweaters... choose a different yarn! Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susank
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004 05:51:42 PM »

my skully ended well, although I must admit it's not technically _completed_... I still need to sew in ends.

Here are photos:
http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3244.JPG

http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3245.JPG

http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3246.JPG

http://www.nolke.com/images/index.php?album=susan%2Fskully_skirt%2F&pic=IMG_3248.JPG

The last one shows how I made the sides of the body in a wide rib, so the overall effect is fitted.  I sewed the skirt from a pattern I made, and appliqued the flowers.  Whew, and now the images are up!
--susan.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004 06:21:57 PM by susank » THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxwell17
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004 06:35:03 PM »

susank,
 you're sweater looks great! i really like the combination of the ribbing and the bell sleeves; it looks like it could have been designed that way. How much ribbing did you do, and what kind of yarn did you use? i've made the to dye for sweater from this book, but the skully never impressed me until now. your's looks so great, if you tell me your modifications i may have to try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Morbus
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2004 07:01:03 AM »

it looks really good!  i like that you made it more fitted.  and i love your skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can kill you with my brain.
Goddess
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2004 11:29:55 PM »

I agree with morbus, I love that it's more fitted than the book's version...how did you modify it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004 08:31:06 AM »

Thanks!  The yarn I used was Schoeller Stahl Cecil.  The tag on the ball said "5-6" so I used size 6 needles.  I didn't find out until the whole thing was knitted up that those were milimeter measurements, meaning size 8-10 needles!  So the fabric of the sweater is very dense and heavy, which is pretty interesting.  It weighs a ton.

For the ribbing, I did 3x3 ribbing on the sides of both the front and the back pieces.  I did an extra pair on each side on the back, so that the stockinette panel in the back was narrower.  I think I ended up doing about 4 pairs of ribs on each side of the front, and 5 on the back.  I just tried to do the math, and see what looked good.

I used the smallest size of the pattern, and I ended up doing the sleeves exactly to the pattern.  Except that I knit them in the round up to the skull motif intarsia (which I tried in the round 3 times, but, um, it's impossible), knit the intarsia flat, and then went back to round.  I hate sewing up more than anything.  

Let me know if there's any other details you're interested in!  I'd love to see pics of other people's Skully customizations.
--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purlgurlknits
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004 11:46:14 PM »

Huh Hi there, I'm doing the Skully pattern and I'm just on the bind off portion of the neck. Question for y'all is...when it says to "BO 2 sts at neck edge at beg of every other row until 18... sts remail on each shoulder."  I understand that I am to knit across 26 sts and BO 7 and then continue to knit the remaining 26 as directed. I then purl across (on the wrong side) the 26 again, and another 26 on the other side/shoulder...

My confusion starts when I come back (on the right side) and knit across and try to BO the 2 sts (at the neck edge), it looks funny. The BO sts are laying the wrong direction. It's fine though when I bind of the two sts on the other side/shoulder. Should I BO off the 2 sts when I come back across when I purl back? Do you know what I'm trying to say? Sigh...

Thanks in advance! i purl gurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog ||  ravelry ||  wist
swaps: handmade bird swap, coraline mystery box swap
susank
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004 08:09:59 AM »

I struggled with the language of that part, too.  Honestly, I don't think it matters in which direction you bind off, even though it goes in different directions, because that part will essentially be covered up when you pick up stitches to knit the collar.  So go with whatever's easiest for you, and post pics of your finished product!

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purlgurlknits
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004 11:31:11 PM »

Susan,

Thanks for the advise...I have finished the front. You can view it so far at http://www.purlgurl.com/blog/archives/000036.html. The neckline looks a bit uneven and lumpy, but I'm counting on having the stitches that are picked up later to cover up the funkiness.
Hope to finish this real soon. I'll definitely be back to post completed pics.

Ta,
i purlgurl
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purlgurlknits
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2004 11:21:16 PM »

I finally finished my Skully sweater. I kinda got a bit silly with the intarsia pattern and didn't go with a Skull and Cross Bones theme in the end. I've posted more info and pics on my blog at

http://www.purlgurl.com/blog/archives/000048.html

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. It fits nicely. A bit itchy, but I plan on wearing long sleeve shirts underneath it.
Onward Rogue! http://www.girlfromauntie.com/patterns/shop/rogue/detail.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tns
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2004 04:25:46 AM »

oh my, that is aDORable!  i love it!

i am off to check out your blog.  i need to see more!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004 11:09:19 AM by tns » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amarillys
Will knit for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2004 07:36:35 AM »

That's so cute!

And now you're gonna do Rogue? This is probably the thing I'd most like to make. But I'm not skilled enough yet, unfortunately.

~Caroline~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MaryEllen
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2005 12:35:57 PM »

Hello -- does anyone have any suggestions on increasing the size of the Skully sweater, say to about a 3-4X? I'm dying to make it, but I am not a skinny little thing, and would need to figure out how to make it in a plus size...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenmother

So much yarn,so little time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2005 01:05:06 PM »

I'm new here as well, I know of a software program called Sweater Wizard, you put in your stitch gauge and row gauge along with your size and the program will do the rest,all you have to do is print it out.
You can also go to your favorite search engine (I like Google) and type in Hand Knit software and a bunch will pop up,I think there is also some free ones.
I hope this helps. Smiley
Queenmother
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit on,
Queenmother
lizardlips81
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2008 06:17:37 AM »

Huh

Ok so I am making 'skully' for bday present and it's starting to give me fits -- and I think I want it to turn out well so bad that I'm giving myself a mental block or something.

I started on the top part yesterday and didn't understand the directions very well so I sort of winged it.  I ended up with the neckband (ok so you knit it and you fold it over and sew it -- is that what it means by 'sew neckband seam'?) and then the shoulders bound off like it told me to.  Well, the neckhole looked suspiciously small so I tried to put it on and granted I have an enormous head... but it was too small.  Though I don't have the bday person's head on hand to measure, I figure if my head is too big then repair is required.  So I ripped out the neck -- no biggie since the stiches were just pick ups... right?

So I thought maybe I would move on and work on the sleeves or something... can I do that??  Is the neckband fixable?  Can someone tell me how -- since the shoulders are already seamed?  Do I need to fix the neckband before I move on or did I ruin it already or what??? The instructions are freaking me out.

Help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Embroidery Transfers
How to Choose Transfer Paper
How to Iron On Numbers to Fabric
How to Apply T-shirt Transfer Papers
How to Custom Design Iron On Transfers
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...