A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
618 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: super-simple capelet, with tutorial/pattern  (Read 100128 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap , shrug , pattern , capelet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2005 02:03:40 PM »

Yay! I made a capelet!

Bonus features:
- Incredibly soft, and not itchy
- Washable
- Affordable yarn
- Easy enough that a beginner like me can manage it (all you need to know is knit, purl, k2tog, and yo)
- Big needles, so it knits up quickly
- Unlike a poncho, it's not going to drag in my food when I try to eat
- Also unlike a poncho, it doesn't make me look like a tent

I started out trying to make a poncho from a freebie pattern put out by Red Heart, but it was using far more yarn than it called for, and I couldn't get my hands on any more of the same yarn easily, so I decided to change the pattern around. I've never written a pattern out before (this is only my fourth knitting project) so bear with me. I hope this makes sense! If something's unclear, let me know and I'll try to explain it better...

Materials:
8mm/#11 circular needles
1 1/2 balls of Red Heart Symphony (fuzzy acrylic --- hooray for cheap yarn!)
Ribbon

Pattern:
Cast on 175 stitches.
Knit 5 rows, then purl a row, knit a row, and purl a row. Repeat. This creates a ridged effect, like this:

Knit in pattern for 18", ending with 4 knit rows (i.e., finish the ridges, then stop here before you start knitting the next stockinette/flat section).

Using stitch markers, divide the 175 stitches as follows: 25-50-25-50-25. The 25 stitches on either end will form the front of the capelet, and the 25 in the middle will form the back; the groups of 50 in between will be decreased gradually to form shoulders.

Continue to knit in pattern, but in the shoulder sections, *k1, k2tog* in every RS row. (Just knit normally for the front and back panels.) Continue this way until the shoulder sections are down to only a few stitches apiece.

Begin the next ridged section by knitting one wrong side row, but instead of knitting the next right side row as in pattern, do eyelets all the way across (*k2tog, yo* --- by my count, you should end with a k2tog).

Knit 3 more rows (wrong side, right side, wrong side) to make a little wee collar, then bind off.

Weave the ribbon through the eyelet, and tie in a pretty bow! You've made a capelet!

(I apologize for the not-so-great photos. It's hard to take pics of yourself in a mirror while posing and not using a flash! The colour in the close-up shots is closer to the real colour of the yarn, but it's a little less purple-y.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005 03:52:23 PM »

Gorgeous!  I love it!  I have wanted to make a capelet so badly, but all the patterns I found were a little too difficult for me.  But this seems perfect!  Thanks for sharing! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005 04:05:35 PM »

I'm glad you like it! I'd love to see someone else try the pattern out. You could definitely make it longer or shorter (mine's just below elbow-length on me; I'm 5'6"). The Symphony yarn comes in a bunch of pretty, but muted shades --- there's a sage-y green that I loved, but I thought this blue would go with more of what I own. I'm sure that yarn substitutions could be made easily, too, though I have no experience with figuring that sort of thing out. Anyway, do let me know if you decide to try this out!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005 08:38:38 PM »

It's Beautiful!  It's got a very dicken's-ish feel.  Like the cape part of a cloak from mid-victorian British fashion.

You know, I just loved this so much, I had to go look up pictures of victorian costumage to get a better feel for it, and I discovered something.  A full-length garment is called a cloak.  A second, top tier of a cloak that falls from the collar to the elbows (or waist, or somewhere in between) is actually the cape.  A full-length garment is not called a cape.  So this business of calling capelets capelets is silly, since they are appropriately called capes.  I did not know that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005 05:57:20 AM »

A full-length garment is called a cloak. A second, top tier of a cloak that falls from the collar to the elbows (or waist, or somewhere in between) is actually the cape. A full-length garment is not called a cape. So this business of calling capelets capelets is silly, since they are appropriately called capes. I did not know that.

Wow, I had never thought of the distinction that way either. So, properly, the cape is the second, shorter layer of a cloak. But what is it called if you have (as in this case) just a single, short layer? Is it still a cape, because of the length? Or is that where the term capelet comes into play? Fascinating. Now I'm going to have to go look this up myself!

Oh, and I'm glad you enjoyed the, umm, whatever-it-should-be-called. I love the slightly costumey feel to it, too --- I think the big brown ribbon and the symmetry of the piece add to that effect. I thought about making it so that it would sit off-centre on my shoulders (i.e., the split would be to one side) and I think that would have looked more Mod than Dickensian.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2005 11:08:08 AM »

I think even a single short layer is still a cape, unless it is a mantel, which is a different sort of beast.  The website I found was really fascinating.

Yeah, I think off-setting it wouldn't give it nearly the effect it has.  And the only think that could make it look MORE Dickensian would be a collar, but I think it is beautiful just the way it is.  (Of course, adding a collar would be nothing, and wouldn't it be fun to spice it up with a crocheted lace collar?  Oooh..  Ah, but that's just an idea.  I really love it just the way it is.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005 11:55:14 AM »

Trufflegirl,

How long did this take you to knit on those 8s?  I am a super slow knitter and I am just wondering how long this will take my poor little hands to create.

Thanks,

~Sky
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
grusinskaya
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005 03:43:10 PM »

Oh wow! The thing I hate about most ponchos/poncho-esque things is that they look so tacky, but your capelet has a very sophisticated and classic air to it. The ribbon looks so cute too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005 08:19:16 PM »

Lothruin --- Yeah, I would love to have a collar for it, especially if it were detachable. Sadly, I don't know how to crochet, so that might have to happen later. I do have extra yarn left over, so maybe some day I'll learn to crochet and I'll add something. I would also love to add a knitted flower or something (also removable) to pin at the neckline.

Knitkatgrrl --- Umm, I think it took me about 2 weeks to make, maybe 2 1/2. I knit quite a bit, though: on the bus (I have an hour-long ride to and from uni), between classes, watching tv... I figured out at one point that it took me about 20 minutes/row (175 stitches), if that helps. It's honestly pretty quick, for the size of it. I mean, it's no scarf, but it's satisfying to make something big and watch it grow...

Grusinskaya --- Thank you! I liked the poncho in the original pattern, but I'm thrilled that I managed to alter it and make something even more 'me'...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bethann
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2005 04:11:33 PM »

That's really lovely. I looked at Red Heart Symphony in Hobby Lobby the other day because it came in so many pretty colors, but it seemed so fuzzy to me that I didn't think it would have stitch definition at all- or it would be just awful to knit with. It looks so beautiful though! Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating an Entirely Different Kind of Panorama with Photoshop
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Before and After: Outdoor Portrait
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
How to Draw a Cockroach
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...