A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double Crochet Tot Hat with daffodil NOW with TUTORIAL for DUMMIES  (Read 4141 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kaymadben
« on: June 05, 2008 10:21:53 PM »

I made this for a personal swap. I hope she likes it. Do you think the flower looks too big? It was easy to make, the hard part was joining all the petals together. I couldn't find a double crochet pattern anywhere so just made up my own. Took 6 wonky hats and a whole weekend but finally got the pattern right. I got the daffodil pattern from this link: http://www.crafts.carolinewood.co.uk/2008/05/spring-hat.html Don't think my flower looks anything like hers though. That's how it usually goes. Anyways, my daughter loves it so I'll have to make her one now.

And she likes it best with the flower in the front. Go figure.

Comments welcome!  Cheesy

This is a tutorial for the lovely ISewCute. But feel free to make one and post a pic here. She is a beginner crocheter and I remember those early days of crocheting wishing people would take step by step pics because with all the holes I could have inserted the hook I just didn't know which one was the right one. So hopefully this is a fool-proof tutorial for you. Can't wait to see what you make!!

Here is the pattern (picture tutorial to follow):

Chain 4, slip stitch in chain 1 space
Row 1 - Chain 3 (counts as 1 DC), DC in ring 11 times. Slip Stitch in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 12 DC in ring
Row 2 - Chain 3, 2 DC in each DC around, DC in same space as first ch 3, SS in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 24 DC
Row 3 - Chain 3, (DC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC) around, DC in same space as first ch 3, ss in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - 36 DC
Row 4 - Chain 3, (DC in next DC, DC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC) around, DC in same space as first ch 3, ss in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 48 DC
Row 5 - Chain 3, 1 DC in each DC around, ss in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 48 DC
Rows 6 - 13 or so - Repeat round until hat is as long as you want it. Usually I just try it on as I go.
Last row - Ch 1, SC in each DC around, SS to ch 1, finish off.

Get your ball of yarn (I used sugar n cream cotton) and a crochet hook size H (used for most toddler hats):

Note: you don't ever turn your work. Just keep crocheting around, ss in top of ch 3 at the end of each round.
Chain 4, Slip Stitch (SS) in ch 1 (the very first chain you made on the hook):

Now we're gonna work on this part of the pattern:
"Row 1 - Chain 3 (counts as 1 DC), DC in ring 11 times. Slip Stitch in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 12 DC in ring"

Chain 3 (counts as 1 DC now and throughout)

Double Crochet in ring 11 times (so all together you should have 12 DC around)

you'll have to keep pushing them around and it'll get tight but you can get them all in there.
Slip Stich in 3rd chain of ch 3. You should have:

Now on to: Row 2 - Chain 3, 2 DC in each DC around, DC in same space as first ch 3, SS in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 24 DC

You should have this, then make 1 DC right next to it.

You should have 24 DC around.

"Row 3 - Chain 3, (DC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC) around, DC in same space as first ch 3, ss in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - 36 DC"

DC in next space so you have a total of 36 DC.

"Row 4 - Chain 3, (DC in next DC, DC in next DC, 2 DC in next DC) around, DC in same space as first ch 3, ss in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 48 DC"

After the "ch3" make 1 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next stitch, then make 2 DC's in next stitch. Do this all the way around.
Should look like this after you complete this row:

Row 5 - Chain 3, 1 DC in each DC around, ss in 3rd chain of Ch 3 - total 48 DC

It should start forming a bowl-like shape.

Rows 6 - 13 or so - Repeat round until hat is as long as you want it. Usually I just try it on as I go.
Last row - Ch 1, SC in each DC around, SS to ch 1, finish off.

And you should have something that looks like the top picture. Let me know if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008 03:01:58 PM by kaymadben - Reason: added tutorial » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can make dresses for your princess!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/skb
lovefrozenstars
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008 11:46:14 PM »

I LOVE this.
If I put that hat on, I don't think i would ever take it off.

Awesome work, well worth the time you put into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What makes someone go into the arts is their uncanny knack of perceiving the slightest problem as the grandest tragedy."
- Nicky Silver
Tiel
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008 03:07:41 AM »

I love the hat and the colors.  My crochet items ususally don't turn out like the pics either.  Thats what makes them unique.  I call it pattern dyslexia or a personal touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008 06:04:39 AM »

Oh my God! It's like one of my wists coming true!  Shocked

I love the pattern and it looks adorable on your girl!  Grin

I'm not sure about the orange for my babygirl...at first I thought the orange would be too much for her...since she's very redheaded and pink skinned...It looks awesome though with your daughter's overall golden toned skin & hair! Wink
So I did some photoshop manipulating with alternate colors...and I keep going back to the orange one!  Cheesy

Let's see what other craftsters think...original orange, lavender, pinky coral...or other color?

You work fast too! I'm very impressed...and now want to try crocheting more than ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008 09:02:32 AM »

Baby photo reference for her coloring: ...gotta love an opportunity to show off baby photos!  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Muria
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008 12:45:10 PM »

I think the reason it looks best with the orange is that the orange complements the gold better than the red or the purple.  If you made the hat in white, cream, bright yellow, or seafoam green, making the flower in a non-orange color might help.  However, as the hat covers her hair, I'm not sure the orange is a wrong choice either. 

She looks like a real sweetie!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
seawood
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008 09:36:31 AM »

Oh, very cool! That looks great in those colours, so cheery!

Um, I did say it was in UK notation, not US, didn't? I'm wondering if that's why it's come out differently, mine is about 4ins across. Or perhaps you used a different weight yarn...? I have a feeling mine might have been a bit on the fine side. Also the trumpet sticks out in a tube. Smiley Maybe I have to go and rewrite...let me know if you think it needs corrections. I'm so pleased you had a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Caroline
kaymadben
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008 10:43:25 AM »

The middle of the flower kind of got me confused. "crochet in spiral until this big" and I think it was in UK measurements. I think I just crocheted 2 rows around then started doing the petal part. I did note it was in UK and used the US conversion chart you had at the bottom. I like the way it came out. I love both versions.  I think yours looks elegant and sophisticated and mine looks fun and laid back. If that makes any sense. Like I would send my dd to the park in mine and to church in yours. I really don't know how mine didn't pucker up like yours. But it was really hard sewing it all together. Just getting all the petals to lay right. I'm gonna have to work on that. I just made a hat in blue, now have to decide what color(s) for the flower. I was thinking of all coral or maybe white and red for patriotic-ness.  Wink

Thanks again for the pattern. I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaymadben
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008 10:44:38 AM »

Oh and I just used cotton yarn. Maybe that's why it's bigger.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seawood
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008 12:54:21 PM »

Oh and I just used cotton yarn. Maybe that's why it's bigger.

Could be! Yarn is really hard to reconcile across the pond, I'm forever getting confused.

Crochet in spiral just means you go round and round - if you were working in round normally you'd slipstitch into the last stitch of the round, chain up to the stitch height required and start the next round. Here, you miss out that step and just keep going, hence it forms a tube and you can't see where each round begins.

I can't remember if I wrote how I stitched it together...I laid out three petals in a triangle and sewed through the base of each in a circle. Then same again for the remaining three, pop that on top of the first and then sew the tube on top and all the way through each layer, which is the same as the original pattern, I think.

Glad it worked out for you, anyway, and it looks fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Caroline
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Knit the Purl Stitch
How to Make a Snowy Candle Lantern
How to Make a Handmade Paper Envelope
How to Knit the Stockinette Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...