A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice on move preparation  (Read 506 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bela-Kiss
« on: June 05, 2008 09:45:40 PM »

Ok, I didnt exactly know what to title this. Basically the story is this. Next May I will be able to move out of my parent's house and into an apartment with my boyfriend. By then we will have been together 3 years. He is going to school this year in another city while I finish high school here. I know the next year is going to be long and agonizing, so in order to help me cope and the year not be so slow, I have decided to go ahead and work on crafting our future home. This may sound odd, but it makes sense in a way. So, I would like suggestions on things that would be good to go ahead and get out of the way.

Things I have thought of, though I may need help include:
1.Cushioned headboard( we slept in a bed with one of these and I LOVED it.)
2. Reupholstered chair for living room area. I already have this, I just can't find the fabric I want.
3. Ottoman to go w/ chair.
4. Coffee/end table(s)
5.Throw pillows for a small sofa that match chair.
6.maybe a bed frame if I can't get a cheap one.
7. Magnetic bulletin board/white board.

There are plenty of things we will need. I know organization will be a big deal.He is going to a 4 year college, I will be going to a 6 month massage course, he plays guitar and has LOADS of things for that, I'm a bellydancer and have lots of expensive/handmade costumes I just won't be able to give up...etc.

So if anyone has ideas or suggestions of other things I should do, feel free to make comments.

Thanks-
Rebecca
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008 02:13:42 AM »

Lucky you! As you have a year to collect your "trousseau" you can take time to pick things you really love and adore. You also will have heaps of time to look for items that can be recycled and a year of bargain and sale hunting!
Take your time picking fabric and colors - you may have to live with an item a long time and its easier if you absolutely love it to fit it into new decor!

Don't forget the basics like kitchen stuff and towels- you can never have enough soft fluffy towels Wink
A decent mattress is a must and a really big cupboard to store hobby things in (I am also a Bellydancer and boy, those beads can have babies when you are not watching them so you need a place to store in.)
A desk or 2 will be handy as will bookshelves
thats all I can think of right now Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008 09:34:57 AM »

Thanks.=]
I forgot to mention that I am taking my cat with me so I need to make a cat tree. I've made her a few beds and pillows but she thinks she is much larger than she really is...so she just sleeps wherever she feels like it.
Him and I have decided to reupholster a chair his friend gave me in white leopard print...I just haven't found the fabric yet. I think the furniture in our living area will be black with a few leopard accents and maybe a solid color like purple or red to bring some color in. Not 100% sure though. If anyone has any idea where I can get white leopard fabric, please let me know.
I know a mattress is important. We were talking the other day about what size we will need. I am small, but he is large, we can fit on a twin size bed, very tightly, so we are thinking a full or queen size.

I am not sure how to do measurements on the headboard though. If anyone has ideas, please let me know.
I know we will need a desk, I just havent found one in my price range. He has 2 in his room, so unless they stay at his mom's house I will probably be able to use them. I need one for sewing and he needs his for drawing. He is going to school to design games. Like actually draw them out, not animate them.

So I will stop rambling and start listening.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Cro Marmot from Happy Tree Friends
Creating an Entirely Different Kind of Panorama with Photoshop
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Before and After: Outdoor Portrait
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...