A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: confetti woven bowl (similar to magazine bowl)  (Read 19842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roadtripjane
« on: February 06, 2005 01:09:58 PM »

Does anyone have any idea how to make paper bowls like this.

http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=13396
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008 07:21:27 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mew
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005 07:33:55 PM »

From a search on how to make the bamboo bowls:

"This oversized bowl is hand made with tiny strips of bamboo, coiled around a mold and dried. When the bamboo is completely dry, up to six rounds of polishing steps are carried out to achieve the high gloss and soft finish."
Taken from: http://www.importu.com/enta-aosb.html

So I think you'd need a bowl a little larger than the finished bowl, then use paper strips, folded in half lengthwise, and overlap the strips around each other in a circular fashion to eventually build up the entire thing.
Then laquer that with modpodge or some other similar hard-ish setting glue on the inside, and when it's dry, flip the bowl out to cover the outside with the same stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
freakigreeniiz

Orange you glad I didn't say bananas?!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005 07:48:40 PM »

Looks really time consuming. but if you manage it, let me know and post a tut or something.  I've seen them at boutique stores, but they were way over priced.
It would be kind of cool to do it in newspaper from China town.  I don't know whether the characters would be visible but anyways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lizzie
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005 10:37:44 PM »

Maybe you could speed up the process by paper mache'ing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a mouse, and he hasn't got a house. I don't know why. I call him Gerald. He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse."
Shadowhand
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005 12:14:31 PM »

Here is a way of making them. I swear there was a really detailed and fantastic tutorial on the interweb somewhere, but I must have just dreamt it because I can't find it for the life of me now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nixx
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005 04:19:18 PM »

those are awesome!   Shocked  i'm definitely gonna try to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ford, you're turning into a penguin.  Stop it.
--
www.uber-dork.net ; www.myspace.com/nikkirawr
nixx
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005 05:19:06 PM »

it was just a test to see if it works out, and it does!  i'm gonna make another one using magazines.   Cheesy

yep, i used newspaper!

the bottom

another look inside...

the bowl, in its masking tape glory  Tongue

and of course, in use.

i haven't secured it all yet, but it seems like a surprisingly sturdy bowl and it's pretty easy to make!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005 05:44:22 PM by nixx » THIS ROCKS   Logged

--
kemerald14

Gimme a bweak... can't touch this!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005 03:07:48 PM »

Wow! That's great! Could you post a tutorial? That is the coolest thing ever!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where's the yellow button! Whoa, whose car is that.. it's a beast!
Fudgegirl
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006 12:26:16 AM »

these seems like the infamous magazine bowls, but i didnt understand the tut for them... could you please post a tutorial? Please? Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nixx
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006 10:56:32 AM »

these seems like the infamous magazine bowls, but i didnt understand the tut for them... could you please post a tutorial? Please? Undecided

i actually found a way to make these before the magazine bowl post was ever put up. Tongue  i'm at my boyfriend's house right now, but i was planning on making a tutorial for these a while ago, so there are pictures somewhere on a computer at my place.  i could give a go with words for now.  it's actually pretty simple, but you don't understand something, let me know.

materials:
x. magazines (preferably the ones that are bound by staples) or a newspaper
x. dime (optional -- to remove the staples)
x. wooden dowel (they're really cheap, any size would work, but you might not want to use the really skinny ones)
x. stick glue or clear tape
x. rubber band or hairtie (opt.)
x. some sort of sealer, like mod podge
x. a flat surface
x. patience Smiley

Step One: Get your paper ready.  Begin by removing the staples, if needed.  If not, tear out the pages of the magazine you plan to use.

Step Two: Put that dowel to use.  Lay a sheet of your paper in front of you on a nice flat surface, one corner of the page facing you.  The side you want to show should facing downwards.  You are going to roll the paper around the dowel by curling up the corner that is facing you, then just rolling the dowel up with your hands.  Make sure not to roll it too tight, though.  When you finish, glue or tape that last inch of the corner to the rest of the roll, then just slip the paper off the dowel.  Repeat this step until you are out of paper.

Step Three: Get organized.  Pick 2-4 tubes of paper with the most color or that appeal most to you to use at the top of the bowl.  Begin to connect the tubes with either tape or glue by inserting one end into another.  (If using the glue, put some on before connecting.  If tape, afterwards. Tongue)  Sometimes some tubes won't fit perfectly into the other, but that's okay.  Try using the other end or just a different tube for that one.  The color you want at the top will be connected last.  (When it starts getting really long, it's okay to bend it, just as long as you make sure not to disconnect any of the rolls!)

Step Four: Roll it up!  Now that you have your extremely long tube of paper, it's time to start rolling it up.  This is the part that can get a bit frustrating at first, but you'll get used to it.  Take the end that will be at the bottom of the bowl, and begin to flatten it as you roll it up.  You want this part to be a bit dense so it's okay to kind of fold it at first.  If you want, you can even glue down or tape the center so that it doesn't unravel.  Eventually you will start to get a round disc or coaster looking thing as you build it up.  The most important part here is to keep it tight as you roll.  Flatten and roll.  If you need to step away from your work, or you're worried it might slip out on you and unravel, take a rubber band or hairtie and place it firmly around the whole thing for a temporary fix.  When you come to the end of the roll, use the tape or glue to hold down the last few inches of tube.  Make sure you really get it to stick.

Step Five: Shape it.  Now comes the fun part!  You get to give life to your bowl.  Just becareful not to push out the center too far!  (I know from a bad experience, lol.)  Start from the center and carefully push out your disc, working your way up to the top.  If you've ever made a bowl in ceramics, it's very similar.  When you get the shape you want, make sure if even (if you want it to be), then admire your work. Wink

Step Six: Seal it.  Although I've never sealed any of my bowls, I plan to get to it eventually.  (Trust me it's a good idea when family or friends want to get a better look at your bowl and oops!, out pops the center of it.)  Follow the directions to whichever sealant you choose to use, let it dry, then take pictures and show off your new masterpiece! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vogue Magazine Reveals Their 10 Best Dressed American Women Of The Year
Lady In Red: Rihanna Rocks Barely There Calvin Klein Dress
Kristen Stewart Goes From Sexy To Modest In A Day
Fashion Trends: All About The Boots
How to Refresh Your Office Look for Winter
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...