A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Deliver me from pink tile  (Read 660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

volcano

Well, whores will have their trinkets.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2008 08:15:23 PM »

I'm almost done decorating my apartment and there is one room left that is a thorn in my side.  This is, of course, the bathroom.  The whole house is done in neutrals, but for some reason, the landlords decided to do the bathroom in all this neat cream old-fashioned tile and then top it all off with a pink border.  I am, to put it mildly, less than a fan of pink.

I've been considering covering the tiles with black contact paper (if the tile were black, it would look like one of those old-school hotel bathrooms),  but I'm afraid the paper would peel from all the steam.  My landlords are super uptight, so whatever I do has to be totally reversable.  Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dirty Bird
Handmade jewelry featuring vintage film images and other things that amuse me.
http://dirtybirdd.etsy.com

A portion of profits support Kiva.org - Loans that Change Lives
Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008 10:29:38 PM »

Well, I am sure it is hard to ignore the PINK, but you could play it down with other colors.  Contact paper on the tile would look pretty tacky! 

I would just pick a color scheme (like Black and White), and roll with it, but NEVER use a pink item of any kind in the room.

Look on this ID site for "sweetbottom" Need ideas for my 50's pink and black tiled bathroom!, she posted somewhat the same problem and some of the solutions might work for you too:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrknArrow518
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008 06:49:35 AM »

You could pick a nice wall color (pink and brown looks gorgeous together) to complement the pink tiles and maybe choose towels and accessories that would also complement the pink.  This way it looks like it was intentional and not that you got stuck with it. 

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kathleen    Tongue
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008 04:20:10 PM »

In our last house we had a pink bathroom suite.  It was just hideous.  I tried a couple of different ways to deal with it.  First, I embraced it, I got matching pink flowery curtains, and painted the walls an offwhite.  That didn't last long.  Then I thought, maybe if I paint a really light green that will cancel the pink.  It did not.  In the end the best I could manage was to make all the wall the brightest white possible.  That was the best.  If I'd been there much longer I would have painted the tiles white as well (they were tan)

I don't know how that will help you, but I do sympathise! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shastaw2006
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008 09:03:13 PM »

I've put window vinyl on my kitchen tiles http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=201421.msg2142789#msg2142789, and it held up very well for a year. Granted, this was in the kitchen, and not the bathroom, but I also put the same kind of vinyl on the bathroom mirror, and it never bubbled or peeled or had any problems at all.

And, if you cut it a bit straighter than I did (use a rotary cutter, or better yet, a paper cutter slicer thing. I used scissors and I did not cut very straight) it will look very good. I don't think it will look at all tacky.

I'm not sure how well actual contact paper would hold up though- but you could contact a local sign shop and ask if you could buy a small amount, or perhaps they will just give you their scraps for free.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Cindy Crawford’s Beauty Mark
SKINSHIFT Supplements That Will Help and Fix Your Skin
Narciso Rodriguez Fall 2014 NY Fashion Wk Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Pick the Right Foundation Color
How to Contour
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...