A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 298,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Little bags as teachers' gifts  (Read 4640 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toos

To thine own self be true! - William Shakespeare

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008 01:06:33 PM »

I love these! How did you make the cute little flowers for the fronts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evysmom
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008 02:50:32 PM »

Thank you everyone for such nice words! 
The teachers were very nice about it this time.  They kept saying how pretty they were and that they love home made gifts.  A few of us talked for awhile about how relaxing it is to sew and knit.  I'm thinking that the christmas presents just got all mixed up together, and maybe they didn't realize I made them.  But this time we handed the bags to them each, and they were very appreciative. 

Toos:  I used the tutorial on burdastyle for the flowers.  http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/384  I feel like I saw it on someone's blog first, but couldn't find it this time around.  Luckily, the exact same one is on burdastyle now.  Very easy to make.  I think it took maybe 15 minutes for each one. 

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dftkarin
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008 05:09:09 PM »

They are gorgeous - and those flowers make them super-snazzy!! Did you mean that the outer fabric was cut from a single fat quarter?  Would you share your dimension with me? I have several great far quarters I would like to use but I can't find a way to utilize the fabric in a way that makes a useful sized bag. Yours look great - how did you make them out of fat quarters? Will you share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pasghetti
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008 05:59:12 PM »

You are fabulous and so are those purses!!  Thanks for the link to the flower tute Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cabin Fever
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008 07:02:06 PM »

What lucky teachers, those are great bags! I think I like the yellow one best, they are all so summery though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evysmom
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008 07:14:04 PM »

Yes, the outer fabric is one fat quarter, and the lining is another.  After washing and drying, the fat quarter measured about 17 1/2" X 21 1/2".  So I cut a paper bag into those dimensions and manipulated til I came up with this.

This is the outer fabric.  I used almost every inch of it.  The only difference for the lining is that instead of making handles I used that extra fabric to make 5 squares measuring about 3"X3" to make the flower. 

In case you can't read the measurements:  11 3/4" across the top, 10" across the bottom, and 10 1/4" deep.  Then cut about 1" squares out of the corner

Hint: I folded the fabric in half and cut out the bag shape, NOT cutting across the bottom, so I only had to sew up two sides instead of three.  Then sew the little cut out squares to form the bottom.  (Just search Jordy on craftster and you'll come up with a million examples.  Smiley  )

I added heavy interfacing to the outer fabric, then sewed right sides together for each outer and lining fabric.  Place lining inside outer fabric with right sides touching.  Sandwich handles inbetween and sew around the top leaving a few inches to turn.  Turn and topstitch. 

Oh, I also added a layer of interfacing to the handles to make them sturdier. 

I know you only asked for the dimensions, but I just kept going.  Smiley  I hope this is clear.

Thanks again for all the nice things everyone is saying!!!!!  Craftsters are so supportive. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
narhloki
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008 10:26:11 PM »

Greal looking bags Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dftkarin
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008 05:18:43 AM »

Thanks so much for those great directions!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008 08:16:44 AM »

Such lovely bags!
Terrific explanation, too.
Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
virsaq07
It's nice to be IMPORTANT but it's MORE important to be NICE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008 08:57:15 AM »

those bags are beautiful....those teachers are very lucky..I envy them..Smiley...on second thought I guess I also can gift handmade stuff for my son's teachers since he will graduate this year...thx for the idea..Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you feel small and worthless, do something great - Help Someone in Need
visit me @
http://virsaq.etsy.com
http://indyacrafts.etsy.com
http://chez-vies.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Braid Like Drew Barrymore
How to Do a Fishtail French Braid
How to Do a Braid Like Rachel McAdams
What Are Some Good Braid Styles For a Wedding?
How to Do a Braid Like Sienna Miller
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...