A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
605 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trouble dying...  (Read 847 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

No_Aloha

I am the faerie queene!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2005 12:00:58 PM »

So, I don't dye things alot, but I've done it before without problems (with plain old RIT).  Anyway, the last couple of times I've tried to dye 100% cotton (one a white t-shirt with purple RIT, the other an off-white sweater with bright blue Dylon), I've come out with uneven color each time.  I've been dying in the washing machine, like I've done before, and have been using the warmest water safe for the fabric, and I make sure to keep the machine agitating for a full hour before rinsing, and I use a cup of salt in the water.  Does anyone have a clue why the colors aren't coming out even?  Is there a fail-safe way to dye? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005 04:18:31 PM »

I hope you weren't useing tabel salt.  It contains iodine.  Were they clean and stain-free?  That can be a reason.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teri
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005 04:47:02 PM »

This is so weird - I was doing some dyeing tonight too and the same thing happened to me. I used the Dylon brand as well, on some old linens I had, and the stove top method.  They came out reeally bad; they were uneven, and when they dried (naturally, like it says to do) they were really faded like they had been put through the drier a thousand times. I've done a fair amount of dyeing before and its never turned out like this - in the past I used the Tintex (I think its called) which comes in a little Jello-like box and its cheaper too than the Dylon brand. Not sure what happened
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005 07:39:16 PM »

No_Aloha:  not too sure, it does sound like you are doing the right stuff.  One suggestion is have is to mix your dye powder with boiling hot water before you add it to the washer.  Some of the dye particles can be pretty stubborn about dissolving.  Make sure you put the dye into the wash water before you put in the clothes (have them presoaking in the sink to get them evenly wet) or you will get unevenness.

I haven't heard of any problems about using table salt with Dylon or Rit.

greeneyedlady: perhaps your pot was too small for your linens, if you were dying on the stove.  They need enough space to float freely.  The intensity also really depends on what colour you are using: some are a lot stronger than others.  I used a Tintex Nile Green and BOILED a bunch of fabric and couldn't get any colour stronger than a dull faded dead grass colour.  But Dylon emerald can give a pretty vibrant green if you heat it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Braised Baby Carrots Recipe
How to Make Pork Loin Roast Sandwiches
How to make Arugula and Scallops with Cornbread
Shrimp Salad Recipe
How to Make Beer Nuts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...