A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Boyfriend Birthday Gift Brain Block  (Read 1194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RococoRiss
« on: June 05, 2008 12:36:52 PM »

As my first post, I thought I'd ask you all for some advice. Boyfriend's birthday is coming up on July 6th and I'm completely blanking on what to get him. I'm not sure where we're going to be that weekend or anything, so I need a tangible present will the potential for transportation (i.e. not just a bed full of rose petals and naked me. Tongue )

He'll be turning 23. He's into gaming, guitar, and the other usual guy stuff, but I'm running out of things I can craft. Right now he's on a pretty big Flysis/Air Rivals tear. He's also into the Something Awful forums, computers in general, cooking, Dungeons and Dragons, French, and linguistics. I was hoping I could fashion some sort of International Phonetic Alphabet knitting chart, but it's just too damn complex.

The biggest problem is that I've already bought/made so much for him: memory book, t-shirts, dice bag, magnets, more than enough plushies/knit stuffies, love coupons, Rubik's companion cube from Portal, embroidered boxers, dinners/desserts, etc. He likes cutesy things, but I figure I should get him something useful, not just sentimental. It is -his- day after all. Maybe some sort of elaborate birthday cake? Also, I'm trying to tone down the dork wow factor. This last Valentine's Day was specifically nerd themed.

I'm up for any sort of craft except like major woodworking, soldering, and crocheting. I just don't have the time or patience to teach myself passable crocheting in a month.

Any ideas? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
estelle
Fiddle-dee-dee

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008 06:38:01 PM »

Um... I really wish I could help, but I'm having a similar brain block. Why don't you put together a little movie using old digital pictures, your favorite music, clips of your favorite movies, his favorite things... I don't know, it could work, and then you could also take him out for a date.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Sari
xfoxglove
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 08:55:58 AM »

my boyfriend really isn't into gaming or anything, but i did take a linguistics class two semesters ago.  hated it, but i do remember how fun the phoenetic alphabet looked.  maybe you could craft a little photo album/book/box/card/etc. and spell out his name (and yours!) phoenetically on the cover?  maybe do a little message in the back like that too?  i don't have my book anymore but i think you can look up that alphabet on the web.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/xfoxglove
polaris082411
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008 06:37:23 PM »

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make your home in oritental style!
http://www.discovery5000.com/chanpin.asp
RococoRiss
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008 02:33:41 PM »

I kind of broke down at the last minute and decided that I was actually going to spend a good chunk of money on this birthday. (Not that the usual craft supplies don't add up, but it's easier to overlook when you buy them here and there.) So, I bought him a Nintendo DS, which he had been talking about getting for a while. I call him that night and he tells me he bought one that exact day. What a jerk.

So I returned the DS and used the money to buy him a ton of accessories and games. It wasn't made by me, but one of the gifts was a cool metal lunchbox full of DS stuff. I also gave him some of those Nintendo perler bead coasters that are listed on here and a lot of Etsy sites. I'm planning on making the plastic grid cross-stitch DS case for a later present.

He seriously owes me a huge piece of jewelry or something now. Ha!  Wink

Thanks for all the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw A Ghost
How To Draw Fish
How To Draw A Jelly Fish
How To Draw Digimon - Calumon
How To Draw Digimon - Demiveemon
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...