A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Byzantine Necklace w/ Quarter Pendant  (Read 935 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sighonthebreeze
« on: June 04, 2008 11:20:05 PM »

Byzantine is by far my favorite chainmaille weave. It works with a number of aspect ratios and by changing pieces of the pattern you can create lots of different looks. This is a remake of a necklace I've had for many years now. A long time ago I received a quarter with a hole in it as change at a garage sale. I did not buy it, it was change. That's the best part. So of course, it had to become a necklace! I found a hematite bead necklace not long after, and wore it alllll the time. Eventually it started to fray, and for fear of losing the best found charm, I stopped wearing the necklace. Finally I finished this new chain for it. The rings are all aluminum. I forget the sizes but I think it's 18 gauge wire, with two different size rings for more flexibility and a different look. Now for the pictures!

The above is a "camo" shot, and a detail of the chain. As you can see, the hole is not quite centered on the quarter.

Here's my neck so you can get a sense of the size. Action shot!

I have lots of links (haha) to different chainmaille sites, pm me if you're interested in picking up this amazing craft. You can also check out my club's metalworks website that I made, but I won't post a link because I'm not sure if that follows procedure. Correct me if I'm wrong, then I'll post it, otherwise just pm me. Hope you like it as much as I do. Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008 12:17:49 AM »

this is awesome!!! I totally want one! Although I am more of a dime kind of gal... so dainty and nice... Cheesy this is seriously cool, I'm hitting this rocks Smiley

The best part definitely is that you got the quarter as change. The maille is really well done, I dated a guy who was super into metal work and he showed me some basic stuff but I kinda got out of my jewelry making phase and haven't tried it in a while. I might have to try something like this though Smiley
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008 12:21:05 AM by Dinosaurus Meg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Eriny-Weriny

Always wear sunscreen!! Please.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008 06:12:07 AM »

The chain is fab!
Do you think someone drilled the whole in the coin to try the "coin on string" trick, to get their money back?  Cheesy
Together they look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Time enjoyed wasting is not time wasted!" B Russell
iloveoctopus
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008 06:12:56 AM »

neato! i have a bag of mutilated change under my bed and i'm positive i have coins with holes in them that i may just have to do this to! most of them are pennies...poor lincoln can't seem to not get shot in the head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sighonthebreeze
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008 08:17:48 AM »

Thanks guys! Working with metal has always attracted me (shiny!), and chainmaille is a really easy way of getting into it. Plus it is so much faster than using seed beads to make jewelry. Anodized aluminum is my favorite to work with, even though it rubs off eventually, it starts out looking fabulous. (iPod minis were anodized aluminum, that's how you make 'em colors.)
The other great thing (for me) is it's a Denver mint quarter, which I don't see too many of on the East Coast. And my uncle lives in Denver. It's a little memento.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008 08:34:43 AM »

Wow! Love them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair and Makeup for Back to School
Everyday Makeup Tutorial
Back to School Hair and Makeup Tutorial
3 Steps to Beautiful Nails
4 Tips for Using Bronzer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...