A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple shoulder bag - really new crocheter!  (Read 1222 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 04, 2008 08:47:41 PM »

So I took a crochet class at Joann's last month.  Basically the lady taught us a chain stitch, single, double, and half double.  I still don't know how to read patterns.  

But even after just learning that much, I knew I was in love.

I made a couple small things immediately for a swap I was in.  There are pictures at the bottom of those items.

This shoulder was my reward for finishing those.  Keep in mind, this is only the fourth thing I've made, and I had to make this up since I don't read patterns.  It's not perfect, there are a few holes on the edges, but for being brand new to this and really having no face-to-face help, I thought it turned out pretty good.

Comments welcome!  Thanks for looking!

ETA:
This is a picture my partner took of the bags I sent her.  It's a camera case (literally the second thing I tried to make) and a shoulder book bag (the third thing I made).

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008 09:09:04 PM by littlebiskit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008 08:53:46 PM »

WOW. For something you 'made up'... That's awesome!!

Also, the whole reading patterns thing? Not so hard. Smiley If you can make that up off your head, you can read a pattern. Just look for a site that explains the abbreviations (or pick up the Stitch N Bitch The Happy Hooker book; her instructions are GREAT). Smiley

But great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
dcowherd
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008 08:54:01 PM »

I think you did a great job!  Pattern reading isn't hard.  There's a nice tutorial on it at Annie's Attic that should help you out with that. 

But coming up with your own is a great way to do it, too. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008 08:54:45 PM by dcowherd » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebiskit

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008 08:57:04 PM »

Wow, you guys are fast!  Thank you so much!

And actually, what's throwing me off is more that I'm trying to read patterns for crocheting in a round, rather than squares, which is what I know how to do.  The round kind of throws me off, and I think maybe I just need to find a good easy pattern and work at it until I've got it.  A granny square or something.  We'll see.

But like I said, I already love to crochet, so I'll work on it! 

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Elensule
Yeah, I'm THAT girl...

The Zydrate comes in a little glass vial...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008 09:05:39 PM »

Tip for working in the round: get some stitch markers (I've even been known to use earrings, the kind with the long back piece, not posts). Even if it looks fairly 'obvious', it can get confusing quickly if you can't see which piece was your first stitch. You can use contrasting yarn and just work over it (like, an inch long piece), then pull it out and work over it again when you've joined. It helps IMMENSELY to know where you start and stop. Heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I maked a wist! wists.com/Elensule

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=292681.0
The Repo! Swap!
PinFish
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008 04:49:45 AM »

You could always get together with me and I can show you how to do crochet in the round.  Grin

Anyway, it looks awesome! Most people, starting out, have problems with squares/rectangles due to tension problems and missing stitches, but your tension looks perfect already. Impressive. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

panul
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 05:21:35 AM »

Wow! You made that cute bag with no pattern? I am impressed! I'm sure you'll pick up working in the round with no problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZellaBella
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008 05:32:25 AM »

great job Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008 05:37:40 AM »

You could always get together with me and I can show you how to do crochet in the round.  Grin

Anyway, it looks awesome! Most people, starting out, have problems with squares/rectangles due to tension problems and missing stitches, but your tension looks perfect already. Impressive. Smiley

I'd love to get together, I was just waiting for your life to settle down again a little.  I figure you haven't had much time to breathe lately.   Smiley

My biggest problem in working with the rectangle/square is that I get holes on the edges sometimes when I'm finishing them off in a single stitch.  But I think I'm just using the wrong spaces sometimes.  I'm sure it'll get better as I get more comfortable building things.  (Grandma wants a bag like this, so I may be making her one for her birthday.  We'll see how it goes.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

llisaredd
While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats. - Mark Twain

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008 08:51:11 AM »

That's awesome work for someone who is so new to crochet! You should be really proud of yourself Smiley And, as others have said, reading patterns isn't that difficult. If you pick up one of those "Learn to Crochet" or "20 Crochet Stitches" (names are just examples) books available at any craft store, they have a guide in the beginning for how to read patterns.

Welcome to the wonderful world of crochet! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pen and Ink Tutorial: Drawing from Observation
How to Stipple
How to Paint Outdoors
Field Sketching Essentials
How to Use Gouache in your Art
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...