A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,453
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cheap and Easy Homemade Silkscreen Frame  (Read 7139 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

call_me_nny
>insert angsty yet clever title here<

this is the life--bo bo bo bo bo

View Profile WWW
« on: June 04, 2008 08:18:47 PM »

Actually the easiest thing I've ever done.

I've been meaning to get into silkscreening for a while now, but I've been far too confused. Finally, yesterday it clicked!

Taking advantage of my new-enlightened self before it went away I set into action!

Unfortunately, after spending all of my money on tickets to see the Circle Jerks (!!!!!) I did not have 21 bucks to spend on a frame...

So I set out on making my own. I discovered that every site said that an aluminum frame was better, but there were only instructions on how to make a WOODEN frame so i decided to figure out how to make my own aluminum.

Materials:
Aluminum Picture Frame (free for me, but probably >5)
Material (free for me, but it can cost a lot. I suggest finding alternatives like i did)
Adhesive (free for me, but spray adhesive costs probably like 15 bucks)

Step 1: Procure materials.

For the fabric I used an organdy vintage apron. People may gasp at that but my mom deals in collectibles so I have at least 20 hanging around my house.

Step 2. Lay your Frame on top of the fabric, and cut about an inch (or as much as you feel you need) around it.

Step 3. Spray one corner (the top and sides of the frame, with a one inch margin. That means just one inch away from the corner). Attach the fabric to it. Your hands will get mighty sticky but I suggest you use your thumbs to hold onto it while it sets.

(old research for Xeroderma Pigmentosum. holla!)

Step 4. After that one corner is completely attached, stretch the fabric to the diagonal corner. Repeat Step 3, making sure that the fabric is as taut as you can get it.

Step 5. Repeat on the corners left. The sides will still be loose. Hurray! Halfway there!

Step 6. Starting with one of the small sides, spray that, stretch it as tight as it will go and hold. Repeat with all of the sides. If you have someone who can help you, have them hold the frame while you spray and stretch. If you don't, no worries, i didn't either.

SO HAPPY SO EASY!

Step 7. Cut off extra fabric

Step 8. GET TO SILK SCREENING

(shameless band promotion: myspace.com/themelophobiacs. there's nothing really there yet because we only have one song recorded and it's on a compilation that doesn't come out until next week but friend us and keep checking back! we are all quite nice!)

I hope you liked it, it's my first go with screenprinting and with a tutorial so we'll see...

loves!
emma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i wear black on the outside because black is how i feel on the inside and if i seem a little strange well thats because i am
-the smiths
to going against the grain, going insane, going mad
-rent
Minor drug offenders fill your prisons you dont even flinch All our taxes paying for your wars
-SofD
sabillin
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008 09:00:14 PM »

Awesome improvisation!  Let us know how the screen holds up to use.  Good luck with the band too.

~Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Curly Hair with Pins
How to Finish Curly Hair with a Curling Iron
How to Finish Curly Hair with Product
How to Wet-Set and Diffuse Curly Hair
How to Add Product to Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...