A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would you knit this? (or wear it ?)  (Read 11487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Elizaknits
SabreQuillPrincess

Real vampires don't sparkle

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 29, 2008 07:58:33 AM »

this may have been said already but. . . Theres a pttern for something just like this in knitty spring 2005 called cleaves
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lastimagination
« Reply #101 on: September 30, 2008 03:09:10 PM »

I would wear it. It could easily go over a tank top and do wellas a half-sweater. You don't necessarily need to be fashion forward just to pull it off - I'm in college and while I love fashion and have decent taste (I'm a costumer/costume and clothing designer), I can't pull everything off because my figure is grossly disproportioned (huge chest = everything hangs off of me, and nothing has enough length to keep my torso looking long enough/proportioned). I would love a patten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This world is a mess and I just need to rule it!
kissthegirl
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2008 08:30:52 PM »

elizaknits-- close, but not the same. this one crosses in the front, while the cleaves one looks like a doughnut with sleeves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
Elizaknits
SabreQuillPrincess

Real vampires don't sparkle

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2008 09:31:36 AM »

elizaknits-- close, but not the same. this one crosses in the front, while the cleaves one looks like a doughnut with sleeves.
True, but I didn't mean it was the exact pattern. I was just saying that if someone wanted to knit something like this there is a pattern available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kissthegirl
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2008 10:16:01 PM »

again, not trying to be mean, but thats like saying just because they both have sleeves, they're the same. they're not. one's a wrap-around, one's a circle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

someone once told me there's nothing wrong with wanting a fairy tale... everyone lives happily ever after.
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2008 08:56:42 AM »

I agree, kissthegirl.  They aren't the same.  I'm a big fan of both of them, but for different reasons.

I've been stalking this thread for quite some time, now... just hoping for someone to bust into this inspiration and create something, or something similar, and if I were lucky (which I'm usually not  Tongue), post a pattern for their creation.

I have a lot of projects lined up right now, and especially with Christmas coming up, I definitely don't have the time to figure this one out.  But I think sometime after Christmas... I'm going to have to give it some sort of shot.  I have a feeling it will be a slow project, though... very repetitious.

It's a beautiful creation, though.  Something that I know I've thought about and invented in my head over and over.  I have a bad habit of putting on a pull-over sweater, but not pulling it all the way down.  It's usually because I'm cold, but not cold enough, or... it's because I want to cuddle into the sweater for a while first, while it's all bunched up and easier to cuddle.  That's what this reminds me of!  But then it's even more versatile as a scarf!  I would love to wear this to my yoga teacher training this winter and spring.  It would be so perfect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2008 07:54:03 PM »

I'll have photos to upload on Monday! I finished my interpretation a little while ago, but haven't had a chance to take pics. Keep an eye out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
Cinderelly

Handmade has heart.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2008 07:59:37 PM »

Yooouuu, are the best!  I cannot wait to see them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kissthegirl
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2008 10:27:06 PM »

oooo i'm excited to see how your version came out!!
please remember to write your needle size and what kind of yarn you used Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2008 04:20:54 PM »

Alright folks, I promised you photos so here they are. Not my finest photographic moment - I had about 4 minutes before I had to leave the house for work, and the coffee hadn't really kicked in, and... Onwards!

The front. Note the effective self-boob-grab manoeuvre (wtf?) and my bra shining through my shirt, and the dubious water stain. Oh, and there's a big wrappy shrug scarf in there as well!

The back. I found this to be the best wrapping technique for this length & gauge. Looks pretty sweet!

The devil's in the detail. Here's the 100 rows of 1x1 ribbing. Hell on earth.

And the top of the sleeve. I did two laps of crochet around the open edges for a bit of stability, and to help reinforce the joins on the sleeve.

Now for some technical stuff!

I used reclaimed 3-ply merino wool (I think that's fingering weight for you American types), and it's knitted entirely on my knitting machine. A good thing, too - it's approximately 2.5 metres long (oh fine - that's nearly 8 and a half ft long, not-metrics). From a 3-second gauge check this morning, it's about 9 or 10 stitches to the inch, and the body of the garment is in stockinette. Obviously, there is no real "pattern" - I made a gauge swatch, and based my schematic on that, and my own measurements. Something like this...

Don't forget to include a little ease! (I didn't...)

I'll probably dye it at some point - pale colours aren't really my bag, but I'm wearing it in the meantime! For everyone out there thinking about making one of these, I say go for it. At the end of the day, it's only slightly more complex than a scarf. Knit a gauge, draw some diagrams, and get cracking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dating Advice from Tyler Blackburn
Try Colored Eye Liner for Back-To-School!
The Prettiest, Two-Product Makeup Look!
How to Look Wide-Awake for Your First Day of School
Try a Glossy Eye And Matte Lip Look!
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...