A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have tofu. I have curry sauce. I can't cook! Help please *pouts*  (Read 818 times)
Tags for this thread: tofu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GatbysRevolver

I love you now. Isn't that enough?

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2008 07:10:02 PM »

I looovveee Indian cuisine. So my loverly mum bought me some tofu (I'm assuming it's med to med hard)  and some Trader Joe's curry simmer sauce. I also have a 10lb bag of enriched long grain rice. Now I figure if I mess up the rice that's no biggie considering how cheap it was and how much I have. But I'm terrified to mess up the tofu and waste the curry sauce Sad If anyone has some tips for me I would luvs you forever. Mind you I haven't cooked  since I was 10 and my cooking abilities were limited to vegetable soup and...well pretty much just vegetable soup. I can make toast though Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clifton
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008 04:53:38 AM »

The easiest way to prepare tofu is just to bake it. Prepare the rice separately and thus there will be no risk to waste it.
However I would prepare paneer bryani. Using the tofu instead of paneer works great (You can find many paneer bryani recipes online)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GatbysRevolver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008 05:55:46 PM »

quote author=clifton link=topic=272193.msg3074930#msg3074930 date=1223294018]
The easiest way to prepare tofu is just to bake it. Prepare the rice separately and thus there will be no risk to waste it.
However I would prepare paneer bryani. Using the tofu instead of paneer works great (You can find many paneer bryani recipes online)
[/quote]

thank you much. I never thought to bake it. I looked up paneer bryani but it looks complicated. I need to find some extra cash and take a cooking course lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 05:00:29 AM »

You could use the curry sauce as a marinade, and then bake the tofu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink tarantula
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 10:58:29 AM »

Hi there! first you may find this useful http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=204595.0

And then my tip: chop an onion in little cubes, and if you want chop some vegetables you like (like potatos, carrots, yams, whatever). Sautee the onion cubes in a skillet with some olive oil (more tasty) or sunflower oil, then add cubed tofu & cubed veggies & curry sauce. Add a little hot water if you need and let it cook until the veggie reach the consistency you like the most. If you like them you can also add raisins. Add salt and hot pepper if needed. Serve with rice.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunsenhoneydew13
copacetic

superherogirl.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008 06:46:05 PM »

One thing you should know is that you really should think about pressing the tofu to get rid of the excess liquid first.  The first time I attempted to make something with tofu, I just pulled it out of the water it was sitting in and chopped it up...it broke apart in my stirfry and was just overall depressing.  I think I ate it anyhow, but at least now I know better  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GatbysRevolver

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008 07:00:53 PM »

thank you so much for everones advice. I still haven't cooked it yet. Been so tired with the pregnancy (due any day now) that the thought of real cooking exhaust me lil brain lol. I'll make sure to post how my first attempt goes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Upcycle Fashions With Dyed Buttons
Floral Cupcake Ideas
Easter Crafting Ideas
Glowing Giant Spider Web on the Cheap
Using Dead Trees as Halloween Decoration
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...