A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soysilk: NOT WORKING!  (Read 899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 02, 2008 03:07:50 PM »

I have been attempting to dye soysilk roving with Wilton's and vinegar. Most of the colors will not stick... they look gorgeous, but when I try and rinse the vinegar out of the roving, the blues and yellows run out, leaving hot pink.

I tried overdyeing, and using longer and longer cook times with more and more vinegar to get it to stick. The result? I turned portions of the roving into rubber. No, really, you pull on it and it stretches and snaps back. I'm about ready to slit my wrists over this stuff! I've never had this problem with any other protein fiber, using exactly the same methods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008 02:41:29 PM »

I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I'm having a problem dyeing soysilk too.  I used acid dyes in the microwave, and only part of the fiber took any color at all.  the rest of it was still the natural color.  Sad  so I don't know if this helps you at all, but you're not the only one having trouble dyeing this stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008 03:32:37 PM »

The answer I got from a fellow Craftster was that soysilk needs procion dyes rather than acid dyes because of something on the cellular level. I have procion dyes around here but haven't had a chance to try it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooshie
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008 09:01:46 AM »

well, I guess I could try the procion dyes I have too to see if that works any better.  I've just been told that because it's so high in protien that acid dyes would be best.  can't hurt to try though huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008 09:49:30 AM »

Lots of places recommend that, but I tried so hard with that soysilk and it was NEVER colorfast. As the fiber would dye, the mere process of evaporation of the remaining water on the fiber would draw out the color, so if you look at the dried hank of roving the dye is all on the outside edges. And that's after setting it multiple times at different levels of acidity and heat, for longer and longer periods of time. Until it turned into soy rubber.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008 06:00:03 PM »

Soysilk is cellulose fiber, no?  You need to use a reactive dye.  Soy may be high in protein, but I'm pretty sure that there is much more cellulose (component of the cell wall).  Acid dyes, like Wiltons + acetic acid (vinegar) work with proteins like wool and silk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008 06:10:18 PM »

Soysilk is cellulose fiber, no?  You need to use a reactive dye.  Soy may be high in protein, but I'm pretty sure that there is much more cellulose (component of the cell wall).  Acid dyes, like Wiltons + acetic acid (vinegar) work with proteins like wool and silk.

We just discussed procion dyes (which are fiber reactive dyes for cellulose fibers) upthread a ways. I understand what acid dyes are good for and what cellulose dyes are good for, but until I actually tried it all the different sources I looked at suggested acid dyes for soysilk. Elann.com just released some undyed soysilk yarn and recommended acid dyes for it. I wonder if they actually tried the products before making the suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008 06:16:17 PM »

Elann.com just released some undyed soysilk yarn and recommended acid dyes for it. I wonder if they actually tried the products before making the suggestion.

I wonder if they thought of acid dye because of the word "silk" in it.  Kind of misleading, eh?  I would hope that companies would test their products, but that would cut into their profits.  (not significantly or anything, but you know how businesses can be Undecided)  God forbid they do some testing so they can give their customers accurate information. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Manicure Last
Pepto Bismol Acne Fighting Facial
Our 5 Minute Makeup Routine
Costello Tagliapietra Fall 2014 NYFW Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Miss USA Nia Sanchez LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...