A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
528 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to go to sell vintage?  (Read 473 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mental_freeze
« on: May 28, 2008 08:59:23 AM »

Wow, I've just skimmed the topics and am now a little afeared of the etsy.  I have a surplus of vintage clothes (mostly 60's-70's) and accumulate them all the time due to my thrift/estate sale addiction.  I was thinking about selling them on Etsy assuming it would be better than Ebay as the prices are set and it would give me the option of slowly introducing clothing made by me either out of vintage fabric or new fabric in vintage cuts/styles. 

Those of you who sell vintage, please tell me where you would suggest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamsonotcool
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008 05:52:08 AM »

i sell vintage.  people aren't always the nicest to us vintage sellers.  they think we are just trying to make money off of a .50 shirt form a thrift store.  i see it as a passion for fashion and a taste of a time that i didn't get to live through.  and since we can't keep everything, it affords us our habit to sell.  but thats just me.  so i'd say yes my dear etsy is a great place to sell vintage.  however i'd still mix it up and sell some hand crafted items too.  good luck to you:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i am fortified with calcium and enriched with vitamin d
cookiemonster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008 11:19:19 AM »

I often peruse Etsy for vintage clothes and shoes and really enjoy finding nice vintage items that are in good shape. However, the key word there is NICE. I hate seeing crumpled pictures of old "vintage" clothing laid out on a bed or floor. I think you have to have a professional look to your site, and let customers know that no, you are not trying to make 20 bucks of a .50 shirt. Because sometimes it can look like that.

Also, I think etsy would be a great opportunity for you to begin selling your handmade clothing. You could start slow and perhaps build a solid base of vintage clothing before introducing your own vintage inspired designs. I think it's a great idea.

Hope some of this helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~*Vintage Sewing Goodies*~*
Ooh! Vintage
www.oohvintage.etsy.com

Blog: http://www.oohvintage.blogspot.com/
spiderallis
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008 02:10:12 PM »

I've been peddling various types of vintage stuff for about ten years, and my #1 big-time tip to anyone else who wants to try- get to know the local shops, the owner and/or buyer, and the tastes of the clientele.  Hang out, go shopping, chat with whomever is working to find out about the place, and then casually mention that you've got some items that they might do quite well with.  Part of my skill is remembering weird little details, if the guy at one shops gets excited about fancy buttons, remember that when you find twenty shirts all with fantastic buttons.  Hopefully there's a fairly good market near you, it can be hard to find your starting point, but try to think of any shop you've seen that you just loved- try them. Antique shops too, some of the larger antique shops LOVE getting in some particularly interesting (or valuable) clothing pieces, particularly hankies, hats, costume jewelry and handbags.  Finding a specialty is something to consider when entering into the business of vintage, I had an associate who dealt mostly with 1920 to 1940's ladies wear. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My imaginary friend says howdy, and that I'm not crazy, I'm just the translator, he's the crazy one.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Give Your Settlers of Catan Game Board a Magnetic Upgrade
Vote For New Monopoly Pieces
Shaheen Wirk on What Performing Artists Teach About Preparation
Matt Ruby on Taking Comedy Skills Beyond Just Being Funny
Blending Artistic and Financial Goals in a Creative Career
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...