A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Adhering" to fabric  (Read 1130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 03, 2008 11:13:16 PM »

I hope I am posting this in the right place.  If not please forgive. 
I am helping with costumes for the annual play here and I need your expertice please!
I need to adhere somehow all sorts of sequins, shinny medallion's, and I just don't know what they're called..I hope the pictures are enough.
Anyway, my problem is....How?  I tried to hot glue last night and the sequins started to melt from the heat.  No I don't have access to a low temp one unfortunately.  These are the shirts for the little Indian girls in the play Jungle Book.  There are 4 shirts.  I need them to stay on for 3 performances and the dress rehearsals.
I would appreciate any and all help (including physical.lol)
Thank you in advance now on to the pics:

this is the last pic,  This is the one that got too "hot".

Thank you!! Hope you can help cause we are just at that stage that we need to do it like now!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dinosaurshateemo
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008 11:16:30 PM »

Try tacky glue.  It is thick white (dries clear) glue that comes in a bottle that's specific for fabrics and other crafty items.  I don't believe you can wash it, but that doesn't seem too important for you.  You can get it at any craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008 11:44:01 PM »

why not try sewing it all? it looks like everything has got a hole to stitch through if not easily pierced, and it would last as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008 12:11:24 AM »

You guys are great for answering so quickly. While waiting for your help I've been making felt steaks and a leg of lamb.  Wish they were real.lol.        Sewing I was hoping not to do cause of the time involved. Lots and lots to make. (I don't remember all of these characters in the film)  Right now the coordinator has gone to the shop to get me more supplies, so I need time efficient as well as to last the performances.  Hopefully she will bring back now the fabric glue.  The hot gun is holding well but looks all warped where the glue touched it.  Maybe not so bad looking from a distance?
Thank you Thank you for your input and help.  It is invaluable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlwaysInspired

Craft Swap Super Hero

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008 05:57:12 AM »

Go to your nearest wally world and get a bottle of Fabri-Tac!! It is so much better than tacky glue and it will hold those on with no issues. I make dolls and use that to hold on eyelids and lashes and have even used it for attaching lace and such to outfits! It bonds fast and dries clear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008 06:15:28 AM »

Go to your nearest wally world and get a bottle of Fabri-Tac!! It is so much better than tacky glue and it will hold those on with no issues. I make dolls and use that to hold on eyelids and lashes and have even used it for attaching lace and such to outfits! It bonds fast and dries clear!

I second the recomendation for Fabri-Tac. That stuff is awesome. It can bond fabric to fabric, fabric to wood etc. It is kind of pricey, but a little goes a looonng way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008 06:25:25 AM »

I have used E6000 to glue fabrics, namely patches onto denim, and it has held up, even in the washer and dryer. It is clear, stays flexible, and won't soak through the fabrics. It's available at all the major craft stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008 07:43:24 AM »

Thank you so much everyone!! You don't know how helpful you all have been and I appreciate it!!! 
Sadly no wally world anywhere close, but we are working on it.lol but have taken note.
I have just recently bought the E6000 (for those plastic butterflies--another post and also a suggestion from here) So I will try that for now cause the "coordinator" came back from town with 2 sticks of hot glue.  She said that the meltdown doesn't affect the effect we want (is that right???) from a distance. Oh well.
Feast Your Eyes, that sounds like a great recommendation: denim, washer dryer.  I just need the costumes to survive the rehearsals and the three shows.
Thanks to all of you. I was really stressing out on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008 11:09:06 AM »

Feast Your Eyes, if you are still "here", I read the instructions to the E6000 and it said to wait from 2 to 10 minutes then apply what I want to adhere.  Well, of course my question is 2 to 10, how long for fabric and what I'm working with? the sequins and the rope stuff.  I only have one and a half shirt to go for the villiage girls.  Again Thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008 11:35:47 AM »

I never wait to stick things together. There's probably a reason for that in the instructions, but the E6000 usually dries faster than I can use what I squirt out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sports Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Product Photography
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...