A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fallen prey to the bookmaking bug! [img heavy]  (Read 2794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

minuku
« on: June 03, 2008 05:44:57 PM »

I've been so into making books this past month! I don't know what it is about this craft, but I just can't get enough of it. And it's led to... this:

The whole lot of them.

My travel journal for my upcoming trip to Japan. I don't know why, but I used lots of differently colored paper in this one. I also had to burn the edges of the closure, because I was an idiot and didn't realize that bias tape would fray so much.

Toile book for my grandmother-- her entire house is decorated with this stuff! I need to find a better way to layer the fabric, so that you can't see all the edges.

Manly book! Haha, or at least my attempt at one. I tried a different way of doing the corners on this one-- it looks better but is very bulky. Hmm. The spine was also way too bulky because of the first layer of upholstery fabric.

The first one I made, before I knew that my signatures were only supposed to be about five pages... this one is kind of embarrassing ^^; The pink fabric is all wrinkly and the brown isn't cut straight.

Big, plain sketchbook for my sister. I'm not sure why it looks curved in the picture.. it's straight irl Smiley There's mostly white paper with colored paper for charcoal in the last two signatures. My binding still needs a lot of work, obviously.

So that's the beginning of my bookmaking craze! I'm trying to improve my neatness with things like cutting the pages and binding them together. Since school is out now, I need to buy a big cutting board... hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~enjoy everything! <3
great_heights

world enough and time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008 05:57:23 PM »

wow, those really look great.  i'm not normally a fan of toile but it actually looks fabulous on your book. great pick for the g-ma Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppyache
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008 06:00:35 PM »

These are really beautiful, you've inspired me to have a go!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"it is narrow-minded in their more privileged fellow-creatures to say that they ought to confine themselves to making puddings and knitting stockings, to playing on the piano and embroidering bags" Jane Eyre on Women

I guess she might have softened if she'd found crafter...

Smiley
pikabean
also known as Natch

cross my heart and kiss my elbows!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008 06:03:35 PM »

those are great!  Do you just use regular cardboard under the fabric for your covers, or something special?  They look very professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DragonRhapsody
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

AP Practicing, Crafty Momma

Crafty, AP Momma of 2 boys!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008 06:10:09 PM »

They look all fantastic! Just amazing! I want to make some awesome journals for myself and others' {birthday's are comin' up with Christmas!} <33

Was there a specific tutorial you used at all? And did you use fabric for all of the covers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solitaire

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008 06:49:29 PM »

Those are beautiful. I really like the striped one and the floral ones. I bet all the recipients will just love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Craft, Therefore, I AM!  )O(
yellowblanket
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008 08:15:15 PM »

i'm wisting these. SOOO beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists: http://www.wists.com/yellowblanket

will knit for: earrings, cloth pads, homemade soaps, and handspun yarn. PM me if you want to swap!
halfjackd
Confusing people since 1978

The attention just encourages her.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008 12:37:10 AM »

Those are all gorgeous!  I haven't used much in the way of fabric for my covers and yours are so beautiful that I'm tempted to try now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If all else fails, hide.  It works for bunnies.

My blog:
Chaotic Crafter

26/100 ATCs completed for the 100 Theme Challenge
minuku
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008 04:16:24 PM »

those are great!  Do you just use regular cardboard under the fabric for your covers, or something special?  They look very professional.

thanks Smiley I use davey board for my covers, because it's a nice weight and pretty inexpensive-- just make sure to press your cover very well after you glue the fabric/paper to it, because it will curl! I'm trying to find a board that won't curl after glue.

They look all fantastic! Just amazing! I want to make some awesome journals for myself and others' {birthday's are comin' up with Christmas!} <33

Was there a specific tutorial you used at all? And did you use fabric for all of the covers?

thank you (and books are awesome gifts!) My art teacher actually showed me how to make these, so I didn't use a tutorial, but http://curiouslycrafty.wordpress.com/tutorials/ this is pretty similar to how I made mine. And all of the books except for the cherry blossom ones are made with fabric for covers-- upholstery fabric is great for books!

thanks for all the love, guys! this is my first post on craftster and you've made me feel very welcome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~enjoy everything! <3
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008 02:40:57 PM »

I like those. I fell prey to the bookmaking bug a while ago. Tongue There's just something relaxing about making a book. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Fresh Spring Makeup
The Risks of Wearing Eyelash Jewelry
Makeover Lover and Minimalist Swap Beauty Routines
A 61-Year-Old Grandmother Wears Makeup for the First Time
“Law and Order’s” Stephanie March Helps Everyone Look Red Carpet Glam
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...