A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,633
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: OTT Shrinkie Swap part deux Gallery  (Read 11337 times)
Tags for this thread: one_tiny_thing_swap_gallery  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CeruleanEyes

Looking for a Swappers Anonymous program....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2008 05:41:17 PM »

phoenixfiredesigns, those are awesome.  Awesome!  Pinkleo is an amazing artist.  Wow!!  I am so impressed!!!  Lucky girl!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I totally stole that from your wist!!  Thank you! Cheesy

My Wist- http://www.wists.com/CeruleanEyes
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2008 06:10:57 PM »

those are sooooo pretty!  how did you make the colors blend like that?  the purple lady is really pretty!  did you use sharpies or pencils?  those are so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2008 06:45:29 PM »

Lovely stuff (although now that I see how everyone spoiled their partners, I feel as though I should have added more Tongue )!

pinkleo, how did you get the lovely shaded/blended look on your pieces. Stunning!

And, CeruleanEyes, do you print your images on a printer? I'm so jealous of your nice crisp images! Where do you get your inkjet shrink plastic from? And, you were pretty brave to try shrinking a woven piece! I tried it once with plastic soda bottle strips- came out okay, but not nearly as easy as I had hoped...the pieces kept on sliding apart! So, I am very impressed with your piece!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
CeruleanEyes

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2008 07:23:07 PM »

And, CeruleanEyes, do you print your images on a printer? I'm so jealous of your nice crisp images! Where do you get your inkjet shrink plastic from? And, you were pretty brave to try shrinking a woven piece! I tried it once with plastic soda bottle strips- came out okay, but not nearly as easy as I had hoped...the pieces kept on sliding apart! So, I am very impressed with your piece!

I printed the HK images on shrinky printer plastic. I bought mine at Michael's but I'm sure you can go online and buy some.  I paid $10 for a pack of 6 sheets. 
The images are not crisp actually, they just photographed well.  LOL  I have printed other HK images though and they did print up better.

The woven piece.....I did a test w/ small strips, to see if they would shrink well and come out still woven.  Yes, they did.  So I made my main piece using full sheets of plastic.  I used watercolor paints on the back of one rough-n-ready sheet and did the rainbow look.  I cut that into strips and then cut up a plain rough-n-ready sheet.  I wove them together- plain in one direction and colors in the other.  I had leftovers of both plain and color strips.  I shrunk the woven piece and it did just fine.  I then took a full sheet of the white shrink page and rounded the edges, made them wavy, cut holes and shrunk that.  Being so large, it rolled onto itself.  *steam/ears*  But I was able to pull the curled edges off the center.  There were marks left on the sheet but it got covered by the woven piece.  I could not get that one edge to smooth out so it stayed rolled when I fused it.
The fusing was simple.  But with white plastic, please watch it carefully when fusing.  It can turn brown if you wait too long before taking it out.

The skull pendant- all by hand!!!! Drawn and all that by hand.  I shrunk each piece individually and then set it all up and fused it all together.  Unfortunately, I left it in too long and the pretty, pretty pink turned brown.  *boooo* 

It was all very fun and I had a blast.  Loved my partner, she's a sweetheart.  I want to sign up for round 3 when it rolls around.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008 07:26:30 PM »

Phoenixfiredesigns, I am thrilled you like your items.  I was intrigued by the goddess symbols and had to attempt them.  And I am so happy they made it there in one piece; I was so worried the goddess necklace would break.

Thank you everyone who complimented the pieces.

for those who were curious:
*The bracelet is done with sharpies on smooth side and colored pencils on rough.  I sprayed with sealer which was not as smooth as I like because they literally got blown away while outside drying.

*The necklace is done in all sharpie.  Black outline on smooth.  And on the rough I edged in sharpie and used rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to blend/shade it (done before shrinking).  I attempted to get a clearer appearance by re-baking at a higher temp after the initial shrinking and cooling.  Gosh, I hope I explained that well.

*and the doll is just felt and floss (and stuffing) with a freehanded spiral and blanket stitches

Finally, please note that I was inspired by patterns done by Ronda Kivett which you can find at http://www.kivett-studio.com/patterns.html
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008 07:47:58 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2008 05:26:32 AM »

LOVE the shading effect on that goddess pendant, it almost seems to glow.

I'm grateful for all the info on technique. I'm especially surprised to learn that you can use watercolour paint on shrinkies - never thought that would work! Darn it, another thing to try out Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kimmy_sue05
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2008 06:53:57 AM »

i'm very excited to get my OTT and have my partner receive hers! 

I have a request for anyone here...... i can't seem to get the ruff n' ready shrinky dinks here any more and am wondering if someone is willing to swap me for something, or have me pay them for it plus shipping for a couple packs ..... i tried to order them online and the company wanted to sharge me $30 shipping!!!  anyways if anyone is interested please PM me .... thanks.  i have so many ideas and nowhere for them to go!
I gan get it here in Oklahoma I"ll pick some up when I get paid
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CeruleanEyes

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2008 07:09:33 AM »

I just wanted to say that I've picked up some of the Rough 'n Ready shrinky dink plastic for mamaedgar already. 

I'm sure she would not mind have lots more though.  LOL

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2008 12:09:29 PM »

Thanks for the added info CeruleanEyes and pinkleo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
zombiekilla

I don't mean to impose, but I am the Ocean.

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008 02:49:56 PM »

wow that purple lady is beyond awesome! I wish I had know how to blend like that before I sent my piece, hopefully craftADDchick likes hers!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Rocked The Frock: Emma Roberts Vs Brooke Burke
Kim Kardashian Is Worst Dressed At 2012 MTV EMA Awards
Jennifer Lawrence Shows Off Bra At Movie Premiere
Fashion Trends... All About The Denim
Must Purchase Trend: Quilted Leather
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...