A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It will be a cold day in hell before I pay to knit in your shop.  (Read 3387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008 06:43:31 PM »

So, no HobbyLobby or Wal-Mart yarn or yarn bought from another shop. 

What if someone brought in their own hand spun yarn and had a question about a pattern?  I just started knitting last year but have been spindling & spinning my own yarn for almost 10.

There are no LYS within 60 miles of me :pouts:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
dorthybuht
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008 06:49:57 PM »

Let me get this right, $5 just to sit in their store and knit? What complete and utter BS! You should get a group, sit outside on the sidewalk and knit in protest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lotte
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008 12:06:45 PM »

I agree - paying to knit in a store is just plain taking the biscuit!

I used to go to a knitting group in a yarn-store.  They didn't charge as such, but they did provide tea/coffee and biscuits/cake and asked for a donation towards the cost of refreshments - that I thought was very reasonable, and only fair (afterall they were providing the refreshments)...  but no way would I pay to just sit and knit in a store.

And as for the store that won't let you handle the yarn  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepyhugger
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008 01:00:19 PM »

i think that the amount of time between putting your name on the waitlist for ravelry and getting your invite has decreased signifcantly.  i heard it's about two weeks now?  maybe less?  anyone know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ArianeIsEatingADanish
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008 05:10:16 AM »

That's awful! Surely the shop is throwing those get-togethers as an advertisement for their lovely wares in the first place, charging you to knit there is like charging you to construct a billboard you have to walk past every day... or something.

Well, not that bad, but still.

I'm thinking of starting a knitting/sewing group at my university. I ususally buy my yarn here from the bajillionth floor of a department store, which takes a train, a lot of walking and then loads of escalators to get to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HalloweenNut
When goths get old...

Keeping Halloween in my heart year-round

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008 06:25:08 AM »

i think that the amount of time between putting your name on the waitlist for ravelry and getting your invite has decreased signifcantly.  i heard it's about two weeks now?  maybe less?  anyone know?

I joined Ravelry a couple of months ago, and I think it only took a few days to get the invite.  Definitely less than a week... Smiley  I was pleasantly surprised - I'd expected a much longer wait. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008 06:25:31 AM by HalloweenNut » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky, altogether ooky.
http://www.wists.com/HalloweenNut
amybarnett
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008 10:53:58 AM »

Oh, it would be so funny if you started your own group and brought the LYS a flyer for it. I would be like "this is for you to hang up on your bulletin board. I know you have been losing customers lately because of the unorthodox yarn practices around here.This will give them a good alternative." HA!

I'm actually not that heartless. It's just so funny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L-train
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008 11:30:03 AM »

According to their login page: "If you sign up today, you will receive an invitation in about  1 day." Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008 04:24:13 PM »

According to their login page: "If you sign up today, you will receive an invitation in about  1 day." Smiley

YES! Just signed up. Now I'll also be able to check out all those ravelry-only patterns. It will, however, be one more password to remember.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
insaneannie
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008 02:51:28 PM »

I live in MD on the MD/PA line and we HAD a local yard store that was the same way.  They wouldn't help you with anything unless you paid and the only way you could sit in the store and knit was IF you took a class, which were ridiculously priced! $50-80 for a class!  Needless to say they went out of business about 6 months ago!  Only the rich could afford the yarn and the price of patterns was crazy!  Why pay these crazy prices when you can search the web or go to the local AC Moore or Michaels? Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Sports Photography
Latest Cameras in the Market
New Releases for Photographers
Photography and Make Up
Macro Photography Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...