A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,864
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage magzine pages safe to use in a scrapbook?  (Read 1252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

capnhooty
« on: June 02, 2008 06:25:43 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone might know whether vintage magazine ads like from the30s and 40s would be ok to use on my scrapbooking pages. I thought I read not to use newspaper clippings as they might somehow damage my photos. I'm just not sure if the same applies to magazine pages. If anyone knows I'd really appreciate your input. Thanx so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kyrie04
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008 06:46:55 PM »

You have to treat the pages because they don't have acid. I think if you put them in you can decoupage over them and they will be ok. You have to do that otherwise they'll fall apart. That's what I've read anyway. I've never tried to do it, so I don't know for sure, but that is the advice I've seen given in scrapbooking magazines. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008 02:33:25 PM »

I've read/ heard that newspaper and magazine paper is higher in acidity, which is what damages photos.  However, I have also read that you are okay to use news/ magazine clippings, as long as your photos don't directly touch the clippings . . . that way, if the acid leaches out onto other page elements, it won't contaminate/ damage your photos.  Something else you might look into is a de-acidifying spray . . . I think you can get it at craft or scrapbooking shops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
SewHelpMe
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008 07:59:23 AM »

Something else you might look into is a de-acidifying spray . . . I think you can get it at craft or scrapbooking shops.

That spray is called Archival Mist, and Target online has it (not sure about the stores).  It's expensive!

Your other option is to scan the ads and print them.  I just learned that inkjet ink is acid free and safe for scrapbooking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boadicea
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008 06:53:15 PM »

Krylon makes a similar spray that's way less expensive. I have to admit that I don't worry a lot about archival any more. That said, I'd never use non-archival with any original, non-replacable photos. I'd get copies of them first.

Another school of thought is that if those magazines are still around, it's probably safe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkladymajesta
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008 07:51:48 AM »

Your other option is to scan the ads and print them.  I just learned that inkjet ink is acid free and safe for scrapbooking.

That is what I do, but it is usually because I can't bear to cut up my originals. If you get them copied on a laser printer they wont spear as much, I have really oily fingers so I try to use laser printers as much as I can. But, the newer inkjet printers are coming out with some amazing technology that is way cheaper than laser. So if you have a newer printer (less than 2 years old) then the inkjet you have at home will be fine  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teartear
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009 09:52:42 AM »

I've used newspaper articles in my scrapbooks before.  And I just pulled them to check on how they look.  So far it appears that they haven't fadded at all or yellowed which is what usually happens due to age.

I would say however that you should be careful how close you put them to pictures, as people have already mentioned the acid in the paper can cause pictures to deteriorate.  From what i've heard they yellow and fade, which is why most scrapbooking stuff is made to be acid free.  All of my newpaper clippings are on seperate pages from my photos so i can't tell you first hand.

I've used 1940s/1950s life magazine clippings in collages i've done, but I generally use kind of glue heavily on them so they don't tend to change since they are mostly sealed.

hope any of this helps!
Jenni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep."

Craft Blog: http://teartear-craft.blogspot.com/
My Photography site: http://www.jaustinphotography.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Pork Tenderloin
How to Tailgate
Learn How To Create The Perfect Pancake
How To Make Fajitas
Macaroons Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...