A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lite Brite coffee table!  (Read 71363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artzyfartzy
« on: August 03, 2003 03:56:47 AM »

My finished lite-brite table.. the instructions to make it are from Readymade magazine http://www.readymademag.com issue 6. (ETA:  Readymade instructions are further down in this post)
http://www.fashioncompassion.com/litebrite/Image015.jpg

It was hard to get a good picture of the table lit all up because I have a crappy dig cam..

I painted it china-town orange & mustard-yellow, I textured the paint by painting the orange first -- and then taking saran wrap and sponging the yellow - the picture doesn't really show the texture - but it looks reallly mod in person...
http://www.fashioncompassion.com/litebrite/Image023.jpg

if anybody is going to make this table - make sure to ck out issue 7 - .. readymade had made mistakes in the cutting measurements!!!

--also I wouldn't advise getting the litebrite pegs from hasbro.com because the only pack offered has "power pegs" which are 4 pegs stuck together (for easier litebrite picture making) .. and this will not work with a peg board.. I had a whole bunch of these pegs I couldn't use :-/

http://www.fashioncompassion.com/litebrite/Image024.jpg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011 12:59:42 PM by PixieVal - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003 05:06:52 AM »

holy crap! I am soooo jealous.  That totally rocks!  Thanks for sharing it!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
minniepearl

When life gives you limes...make a gin and tonic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003 06:53:18 AM »

that is the coolest thing!  it looks like a burned out video game.  

Grin
bumblev

Happy Crafting!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003 08:24:41 PM »

* I wanted to add that I guess there's some kind of measurement problem in the instructions for the table. Here's what the corrections said in the following issue:

"...we provided the wrong numbler of 2x2's in the materials list for the Lite Bright table. You'll actually need a pair of 8' 2x2s and one 6' 2x2..."

Hope this helps a bit!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004 10:12:12 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Designed to Plant a Smile!
http://www.gerberadesigns.com
janeboston
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003 07:34:20 AM »

ah yea..i saw that in readymade. i adore that magazine.

+ + + +
snoopendous
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003 02:43:30 AM »

I was looking over the instructions in the Ready made mag.  I live in a super small place and have no room for another table, so I am thinking of modifying the instructions and making a light for the wall.  Another thing I was thinking about was getting some plastic or some other kind of colored transparent sheets and sticking them on top or having a compartment on the top where I can stick the colored sheets -- that way the light can shine through and I can change the light with my moods - red, blue, etc....
artzyfartzy
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003 06:33:22 PM »

I was looking over the instructions in the Ready made mag. I live in a super small place and have no room for another table, so I am thinking of modifying the instructions and making a light for the wall. Another thing I was thinking about was getting some plastic or some other kind of colored transparent sheets and sticking them on top or having a compartment on the top where I can stick the colored sheets -- that way the light can shine through and I can change the light with my moods - red, blue, etc....

ohh that's a fab idea. I kinda posted pictures to this and never went back and ck'ed all the posts it got! wow.  so i'm kinda late in replying..

another idea i had was to make some sort of headboard for a bed..in like blues and such to match my bedroom.

my hubby luved making this table w/me, he actually wanted to make another !~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003 06:39:59 PM »

Here are the instructions for the Lite Brite table printed here with permission from ReadyMade Magazine.

http://www.readymademag.com

1. Start by assembling the short sides: Take one of the 251/2" 1 x 8s and scribe a horizontal line 1/4" from the top at each end for placement.
2. Attach one of the 24" 1 x 2s with several 11/4" screws, so that each end is exactly 1/4" from the top and exactly 3/4" in from each end of the 1 x 8s.
3. Mount a 21" 2 x 2 under the 1 x 2 so that it is exactly 21/4" from each end of the 1 x 8. Use several 2" screws to secure the 2 x 2 to the 1 x 8.
4. Repeat Steps 1 through 3 for the other short side.
5. To make the long sides: Take one of the 48" 1 x 8s and scribe a horizontal line 1/4" from the top at each end for placement.
6. Attach one of the 461/2" 1 x 2s with several 11/4" screws so that each end is exactly 1/4" from the top and exactly 3/4" in from each end of the 1 x 8.
7. Mount a 45" 2 x 2 under the 1 x 2 so that it is exactly 11/2" from each end of the 1 x 8. Secure the 2 x 2 to the 1 x 8 with several 2" screws.
8. Repeat Steps 5 through 7 for the other long side.
9. Once the sides are constructed, screw them together with a 11/4" screw at each corner to complete the basic frame.
10. Insert the legs into the frame and secure with a couple of 2" screws through the long sides. (Be sure to avoid hitting any of the screws holding the frame together.)
11. Without removing the protective film, place the Plexiglas on a hard, level surface. Invert the table frame and set it on top of the Plexiglas. The top tier should fit around the Plexiglas.
12. With the table upside down, attach the four 12" 2 x 2s to the inside of the frame, centered on each side and 1/2" down from the inside edge, all the way around with a few 2" screws holding each piece.
13. Set the 24" x 48" piece of masonite with the cut-out corners into the frame. It should rest evenly on the 2 x 2s you just installed. Use a couple of 11/4" screws to fasten the masonite to the 12" 2 x 2s. The screws should be about 10" apart, 3/4" from the inner edge, and centered on each side.
14. Paint all interior surfaces white. This will help reflect light onto the pegs. Remember that the underside of the pegboard will be an interior surface and should also be painted white. Let dry.
15. With the table standing upright, attach the fluorescent light fixture to the masonite bottom and run the electric cord out through the larger corner.
16. Set the pegboard inside the box (resting on the 2 x 2 inner rail) and arrange the light pegs.
17. Remove the protective film from the Plexiglas and fit into the box (resting on the 1 x 2 inner rail).
18. Paint the exterior.
19. Turn out the lights, plug in, and get pegged.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2003 06:47:27 PM by the craftster admin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2003 06:51:09 AM »

thanks for posting it! and thanks to Readymade about being so cool about sending you the files!!!

I have one question does anyone know what the corrections were Huh

If I am not mistaken I believe one was

not
1-  8' long 2x2s
but
2- 8' long 2x2s

does anyone have the last issue with the corrections???
I went to buy it yesterday and the new issue was out ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ace
andthen some stuff

i love kitty kisses.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2003 07:51:02 AM »

thankyou for posting the instructions, im moving and its always fun to unpack something new
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.....in bed
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeffrey Deever Talks About New Book XO
How to Maintain Your Diet During the Summer
Chuck Thompson on College Football in the South
David Maraniss on the Untold Story of Barack Obama
Katherine Stansfield Performs Her Poem "Oh Bees of Rhode Island"
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...