A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Iced Coffee?  (Read 2051 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laurie81
« on: June 02, 2008 01:54:55 PM »

Does anyone know how to make a "at home" type of iced coffee or frapps like what starbucks sells?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008 02:16:03 PM »

there is a website - Top Secret Recipes - I haven't looked at it in years - but I recall them having something...
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
pliget
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008 10:24:33 AM »

I was under the impression that they start with espresso rather than coffee (like what comes out of our home brew machines), so unless you have an espresso machine, it's hard to match the taste.  Am I off in left field on that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peasoupsays
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008 05:54:31 PM »

You can make traditional iced coffee by  brewing a full pot in the normal fashion. After the pot has cooled off for a bit, make another pot using fresh beans, instead of using water to brew..pour in the previously brewed coffee.

Super good with just a little cream and lots of ice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008 06:06:18 PM »

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipes.asp?sessionid=&login=yes

there are a couple of the shake type coffee drinks...

Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008 08:31:14 AM »

I'm pretty sure Starbucks uses Espresso. I love their Frapps... especially Mint Mocha Chip. YUM!

I also am a fan of regular iced coffee. I just double brew mine so the flavour doesn't get watered down, pour on ice and drink. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L-train
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008 12:51:31 PM »

I used to know someone who worked at starbucks and told me the frappuccinos were made from a mix that came out of a packet! Perhaps it's the packet + espresso + ice?? Anyway, I love iced coffee beverages, so I've been trying to figure out how to make my own, too. I use espresso (i had never heard of the "double brewing" method before), and have recently begun making espresso ice cubes, but haven't experimented with them yet.

Normally I put some ice cubes, a couple shots of espresso, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream into the blender and blend away. It normally comes out tasting a bit watery though.

If you want to make espresso at home but don't want to invest in a machine you can get a stovetop espresso pot (at least in the UK you can...). I've been told the espresso from those pots is slightly weaker than espresso from a machine, but seems to me it would be suitable for iced coffee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Razor Blame

She likes disco and tastes like a tear.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008 05:57:01 PM »

I work at a coffee shop and we add Java Frost (http://www.javafrost.com) to all of our blended drinks and it makes anything addicting.

Many good drinks just come from powders that can be made with hot water, chilled, and then blended with ice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RedMenace
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008 09:41:12 PM »

I worked at a coffee shop years ago, I'm trying to remember how we made the [frappuchino equivalent] mix... I think it was just espresso, vanilla syrup, and milk or half and half. Then we blended that with ice and whatever syrup (caramel, more vanilla, chocolate, chocolate mint...)

Normally I put some ice cubes, a couple shots of espresso, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream into the blender and blend away. It normally comes out tasting a bit watery though.

This sounds like a similar thing, maybe if you nixed the ice cubes, or used the espresso ice cubes it wouldn't be so watery?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L-train
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008 10:45:11 AM »

This sounds like a similar thing, maybe if you nixed the ice cubes, or used the espresso ice cubes it wouldn't be so watery?

That's the plan for whenever I next get around to experimenting  Grin  I don't get why it tastes watery though. I mean, americano is made from espresso + hot water. Shouldn't espresso + ice cubes taste just as good as a cold americano? My boss and I were discussing this earlier today and we decided that lots and lots of sugar was the key ingredient  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Great Fishing Photos
How to Look Better in Pictures
Death And Devils in 3D Stereoscopic Art
How to Take Your Own Passport Photos
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith WonderCon Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...