A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Folded Fabric Flower pin/hair clip tutorial  (Read 254461 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Everlastingblossom
Everlasting Blossom

Know how it feels to take the breath from heaven.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2005 08:48:00 PM »

Well. I've tried your insturctions, and I must say that they were rather easy to follow.  Now then....as for the stringing them together....I'm having trouble.  I can deal with the petals just fine....but I can't seem to get them to do the circle thing!

I suck.  I just started crafting...My mom has done it all her life...here is hopin' crafting is gennetic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spillyjane
the jane of yr dreams

you can't take me nowhere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2005 04:56:03 AM »

Well. I've tried your insturctions, and I must say that they were rather easy to follow.  Now then....as for the stringing them together....I'm having trouble.  I can deal with the petals just fine....but I can't seem to get them to do the circle thing!

I suck.  I just started crafting...My mom has done it all her life...here is hopin' crafting is genetic!
make sure you snip the "points" off the bottom of the petals before stringing them together...that's very important.  also, when you're stringing them, make sure that you put the needle through in relatively thre same place on each petal.  it might take a bit of practice to get used to the "feel" of where the needle should go.  also also, be sure to keep the petals evenly spaced along the thread.  don't squish the ones closest to the knot or pull the thread so tightly that they all look "pulled" together.  again, that takes practice.  keep working at it and you'll get it eventually!  i hope this helps...and that it makes sense, as my brain hasn't fully woken up yet this morning.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my knitblog, SpillyJane Knits at http://spillyjane.blogspot.com.
msmeow
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2005 08:17:08 AM »

Just wanted to say thank you for the tut!  I made a flower pin for my mom for mother's day.  I had the hardest time trying to figure out what to make or get her and this was perfect. The fabric I used just happened to match a new jacket she got (sorry no picutres).  She wore it to a meeting yesterday and lots of people noticed it and talked about it. 
Yay for crafting and craftster!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2005 08:43:34 AM »

msmeow - that is fantastic!  My boss's mother purchased one of my pins a while ago and she wears it to church and she always tells me how much people compliment her on it! It is just a nice unusual way of doing a flower :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
salinabean152
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2005 02:59:43 PM »

Huh
help me
so... i made one...and it came out fine...except that the underside of it, is kinda like a big hole.
maybe i did it wrong?...
help me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beastbunny
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2005 06:51:18 AM »

I have added two new tips to the tutorial to help combat a few problems people were having.  Really the key here is to do things the easy way, practice and not be anal about petal because you can always fidde and readjust in the glue step.  The tips follow.

Enjoy!
Jenna

***Bonus Tips***(added 5-29-05)
1.  When stringing your petals, you use the same technique as stirging popcorn for  garland.  Don't tie off between each one, this will lead to mess and is just too much work when it can be done so much more easily.  When you have the right amount strung on the thread, you can bring the two ends of the thread together, arrange your petals and tie the two ends together, but not too tightly lest the flower shrivel up and go wonky.  And leave a hole in the middle, which leads to tip #2.

2. Yes, there will be a hole.  It is ok.  This allows your flower to be more cicular and reglar-looking.  We deal with the hole in this manner: Fill with hot-glue blob, cover pretty side with a botton, large sequin, felt flower, bottle cap, knocked-out tooth, picture of your dog, a penny, a ribbon rosette, anything.  And put your pin back/hair clip into the back of the glue blob, thus anchoring it securely and safely in the gentle caress of the hot-glue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bettsi

Linnea, one of the dolls I've made.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2005 10:23:58 AM »

Beastbunny & Spillyjane,
Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial and the curved petal tutorial.  I've been seeing these flowers for so long and wanted one!  (Okay, a bunch!).  Can't wait to get home and get started! 

Also-props to all the crafters who made and shared their flowers.  They are all wonderful!  I really liked the one by Kaybee.  It looks very "crazy quilt".  Oh, and the cool wool ones too.  They're all great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success isn't final, failure isn't fatal;
It is the courage to continue that counts.
-Winston Churchill
msmeow
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2005 05:11:47 AM »

I just love these flowers!  After making my mom one, I wanted one of my own.  Here it is:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011 02:39:20 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
aif the waif
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2005 12:40:49 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial and the tips beastbunny. I took a look at you journal and found out that we must live near each other when you mentioned persimmon and pekara.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My store: Finely Wrought Etsy
My crochet blog: Finely Wrought Blog
My personal style: The Laundry Narrative
pucchimaiko

gimme vegemite

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2005 07:07:24 PM »

msmeow - VERY snazzy looking!  Great job =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PUCHI MAIKO STORE NOW OPEN!! - Unique Kimono Fabric Kanzashi, Fashion Accessories, Chirimen Zaiku and Craft Supplies inspired by the Traditional Arts and Culture of the Japanese Geisha, Maiko and Kimono.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Web Photo Gallery
How to Use the Luminance Feature in Lightroom, Part 2
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...