A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered and appliqued postcard. Not so P.C.  (Read 1085 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissJames
« on: June 01, 2008 06:22:02 PM »

I didn't know where to put this.  I made this postcard today for a friend who's got a thing for fetuses.

The back tells a little story about the fetus. It says:  Harold was a club kid, just like his mom.  He didn't last long.  But it's okay.  He went to techno fetus heaven where he keeps the beat alive.

Silly.

I cut a piece of fabric slightly larger than my post card.  Embroidered the words on another piece with a running back stitch, then machine appliqued all the pieces on.  The applique isn't' so hot, but I like the overall effect.  I then used a quilt spray adhesive to attach the postcard to the fabric and stitched around the whole thing with a leather needle.

Kthanxbye!  Hope you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008 06:28:58 PM »

I think it's really cute, just be prepared for some people to be offended by it... especially the implications of Harold going to techno fetus heaven.  As a biologist I think fetuses are lovely but as I learned from a friend's band in high school whose mascot was a fetus on a swing, people can get the wrong idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Spifftastic
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008 06:44:39 PM »

Teehee.

I love it! Harold's just adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiekutthroat
one sassy southern crafter.. not for the easily offended

Thin line between adorable and appalling!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008 07:27:15 PM »

haha.. awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008 08:14:16 PM »

I'm going to say that just the word 'fetus' makes me uncomfortable and I think the concept is creepy and gross.

Other that, I think your idea is funny, it visual (while it makes me squirm) is rather tasteful (I especially like the background fabric) and I bet your friend loved/will love it. I also think his wings are an interesting touch.

Rock on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
MissJames
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008 06:49:46 AM »

Thanks, everyone.  I'm glad you all like it (so far).  I was afraid what Emkay said would be true.  I know it's not for everyone.  The fabric is all scraps from a quilt I was making and I chose the subject matter because the black dotted fabric reminded me of a disco or techno and I had lots and lots of flesh colored fabric and it just worked. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emkay

The Sober Irish Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008 09:48:22 AM »

Isn't it funny how we are all fetuses at the beginning, but our culture has made it practically a dirty word?
Anyway, I was thinking how he would look with a glo-stick... either some glow-in-the-dark paint or maybe somehow attach a Lunker Light, which are little lightsticks used by fishermen that are a couple inches long.  Would that be too big for him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissJames
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008 08:39:34 PM »

Nah, no glow stick for lil' Harry.  He's only about 2 inches tall at most.  This is on a post card.  I'm sure he would enjoy one though.  And some baggy pants.  I'm sure they have all that where he is heading to.

He's actually heading to Bloomington, IN.  I sure hope he makes.  I included extra postage and everything.  But you know how these things go.

Everyone should go out now and embroider your own postcards!  It was so much fun and easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kakariki
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008 09:16:15 PM »

He he, that's hilarious!  I would be so happy to get something this cool in the mail.  This is going to entertain so many postal workers!
Awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://radicalcrossstitch.com
Seriously Seditious Stitching
http://radicalrags.etsy.com
Check out the world's most radical craft podcast
http://radicalcrossstitch.com/craftcartel
Fabric of Resistance radical craft wiki
http://radicalcrossstitch.com/wiki
amyracinrose
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008 03:02:48 PM »

I think this is awesome!  You're very creative and I love love love that you're not afraid to post something that could very easily offend many sensitive people that roam around on Craftster.  I'm not offended, though.  I think it rocks.. and so do you for that matter!

~Amy Rose~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my new blog, Swell Stitches!

http://www.swellstitches.typepad.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eyeliner to Make Your Eyes Pop
Summer Skin Care Products
Summer Makeup Palette Reviews
Smooth Out Your Cellulite With Items from the Kitchen
Ask Essie: What Nail Color to Wear Right Now
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...