A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inchies Craft-a-long?  (Read 7544 times)
Tags for this thread: zentangle , inchie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Syrinxe
« on: June 01, 2008 06:16:28 PM »

Wanna join? Post your inchies here, along with WIPs if you want.

Here are a few of mine. These are still incomplete.

I did the backgrounds first, with red, purple, and white acrylics, then pasted some things from old magazines, and in one case, old sheet music. xD

NOTE: Inchies are simply a 1 inch by 1 inch piece of cardboard, cardstock, posterboard, or something similar that is then decorated. Kinda follows the style of mini-ATCs.

June 12, 2009: Craftalong start! This week's theme: Summertime!
Get your pictures up by Wednesday, June 17.

NOTE: You don't have to follow the themes. Cheesy They are just to help give ideas for those who may be stuck.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 11:36:41 AM by Syrinxe » THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008 06:44:35 PM »

very cute!

Check your dollar stores to see if they have the magnetic sheeting as I know they sell it at mine (sometimes it is in the craft section, sometimes with the picture frames and sometimes with the kitchen magnets).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
when_im_sixty4
Perpetually awkward

Craft Big, Dream Bigger!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008 07:37:27 PM »

very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"[crafting] fills my days,
not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008 12:01:06 AM »

i am going to google/craftster search inchies and WIPs now.
talk about living under a rock apparently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
sasastorme
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008 05:11:05 PM »

Sad  What is an inchie?  It looks like shrinky dinks kinda.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Syrinxe
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008 08:57:56 AM »

For those of you curious to know what inchies are, I've updated the first post with the definition. Smiley

I tried doing some digital inchies:

And here it is arranged in a pop-art style:

And another
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OmJane
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008 11:11:19 PM »

okay now what are ATC's?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
Syrinxe
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008 11:17:35 PM »

ATCs are Artist Trading Cards. There's an entire forum dedicated to them here:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=259.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009 05:43:17 PM »

I just posted the same thing, so I asked the mod to remove it or merge it. I am just starting and will be posting mine soon.

Show us what you have done. I have completed one, have a dozen in the works, and lots of blanks cut. LOL

How do you cut the magnets. I'll bump this back up to the front, and maybe we can get the broken links removed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009 01:43:52 PM »

Updating this and restarting the inchie along sounds like a fabulous idea to me, especially with them gaining such popularity over on the paper crafts board.

I've made something like 60 inchies so far (mostly for the latest inchie swap) and I'm fairly addicted to them!

Here's a helpful link for anyone who wants to get started with inchies, written up by the lovely Phizzychick:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=303188.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Syrinxe
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009 03:20:14 PM »

Heya everyone, I don't have the original photo of my inchies for the original post, but I put the preview pic there so there wouldn't be a blank space. xD Now that inchies have gotten popular, I'm sure there are more people willing to participate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009 04:49:30 PM »

For some reason, these seem to come to me naturally what needs to be added, what to name them, what to include. A clutterbug always has the stuff. I will embellish those I started last night. I loved to read the inchie swap galleries. I'm impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009 06:29:30 PM »

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread!  I've found that inchies have become my retreat.  My swap ones are posted in those galleries but the rest I need to scan.  Then I'll post too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Life & Creativity Coaching
lovesclutter

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009 10:42:38 AM »

I'm looking forward to keeping up with this thread!  I've found that inchies have become my retreat.  My swap ones are posted in those galleries but the rest I need to scan.  Then I'll post too.

Why didn't I think of that moment?? Scan them, save my camera batteries that don't take closeups. Another light bulb moment. You are a genius.

Should we go ahead and start a craftalong? We are here. Just keep up with this topic or start a new one?

Please advise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Syrinxe
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009 11:04:46 AM »

I re-edited the first post for a theme to start a craftalong. But I'm open to any and all suggestions as to how to run this. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009 11:08:13 AM »

Actually you don't have to do anything. Looks like we are going. I think you can also modify your original post topic headline, and take off the question mark, and say, Hey we're in progress, join us or something.

I would not worry about the lost pics in the earlier posts. Well just bookmark this thread and go along. I will get some scans out as soon as I get off my rear end and get into the craft room. You have finally got the interest Syrinxe. You go girl (I'm saying that without reading your profile to check on gender first, no offense if you aren't). LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009 11:12:01 AM »

OH, I didn't know we would have themes. Sad

I can make some with themes and didn't occur to me. LOL

I haven't made any that follow along summertime, though it does officially start next week, so good idea, I'll play and any excuse to cut up more paper makes me happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009 11:20:18 AM »

OH, I didn't know we would have themes. Sad

I don't think you necesarrily need to always work within the theme; at least the craft-a-long I've been doing for the past year hasn't been strictly theme based. I've always used the themes as guiding lights when I'm lacking in inspiration.

Besides, I want to see what everyone's been up to inchie wise. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Syrinxe
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009 11:30:38 AM »

Yep, the themes are only to give ideas to people (like me) who are indecisive and can't make their minds up about what on earth to do. xD Feel free to post any of your work here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009 04:04:45 PM »

Great. I have a lot in the works, but have 2 swaps I need to attend to. After I get some finished, I will scan them. The only thing I am worried about is a couple with glitter getting all over the scanner. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009 06:55:31 AM »

Here are the inchies I completed for the Inchies swap.

I've created a few replacements for ones that the postal service decided to devour, just need to upload them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr
We're on craftster because we love to create. Why should we settle for what we currently are?

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009 08:57:03 PM »

I hope it's OK to post this here.  I didn't want to take up a whole thread with this.  I just wanted to show my latest thing to do with some of my inchies.

I got into inchies right before I set off on a trip to San Diego.  And quickly thought that if I journaled my trips with inchies, I might actually do it.  Plus, it's a great excuse to pick up all those adverts and things while on vacation.

Thus was born Journey: Inch by Inch Down the Road

The cover came mostly from an old driving atlas that has been hitching around in my car for at least 20 years.  I figure it's time for a new one, so this one's now craftin fodder.

It has inchies of places of special memories, places I loved and places I'd like to see.

Page 1: San Diego (the black splotch is just protecting my friend's privacy)

(On the flight out there, as the plane started descending, there were a group of young boys (3 to 5 years old at the most) in the back of the plane who started singing... their lyrics were "we're gonna die, we're gonne die, nice to have met you all"  If the sound of children singing is the last thing I hear, I think I can be OK with it. Wink

Page 2: more of San Diego

I wish I could say that I saw all those critters, but it was too cold to be looking!

Page 3: the last page of the first journaled trip

Included are pictures or parts of business cards where we had great meals

Page 4: Heirloom Rubber Stamp Show, Springfield MA

That's it for now.  I've been wanting to do a travel journal for ages and this might keep me going.  But I think I'm going to include not just the "vacations" but the staycations and special events too.

I used business cards, travel brochures, gift shop bags, tickets, etc.  The book itself, I got from the college bookstore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I find joy in creating and helping others create not just jewelry and crafts but best of all, the life they want.
MyPins
MyArt
Gemcraft
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009 03:46:00 AM »

What a great idea, I LOVE the travel journal
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gemcraft
Would love to swap journal ephemera if anyone is doing that
lovesclutter

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009 05:11:43 AM »

Now that is awesome. Love the idea completely. I have made quite a few and haven't posted. They have to rhyme or reason, but this is an excellent theme and something you can build every time you hit the road. Love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

audio
Nobody could do that much découpage without calling on the powers of darkness.

Galactic Empress Audrey The Nerdy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009 06:12:42 AM »

I'm going to work with this!! I love inchies but I have a terribe time just sitting down and making them, except when it's for a swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009 09:50:21 AM »

I'm going to work with this!! I love inchies but I have a terribe time just sitting down and making them, except when it's for a swap!

I've found myself working on some if I can't get to sleep.  Sad, I know... but they're very relaxing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
malmow
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009 09:53:07 PM »

What a wonderful idea MunLtStmpr! I might have to try that. My free time has been divided between inchies and my altered journal lately...maybe I should merge the two!
I'd really like this thread to take off, but I can't add anything to it right now because the only inchies I have are for a personal swap and I don't want to spoil the surprise!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MunLtStmpr

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009 06:11:18 PM »

I finally got around to posting the inchies that I've made for myself. Warning, this is image obese!

This is a set that I made using things that I got from Craftster's Inchies Swap 2 and 3:

This one is from pieces that I picked up while on vacation in San Diego:

I call this set "Space":

This is "Picnic"

These are paper punch flowers:

These use some of my hand carved stamps:

These use those metallic stickers:

These have fabric bases:

These are my digital Obama ones:

and finally, my lunch time zen inchies:

Hope that wasn't too much!

Who's posting next?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009 06:00:57 AM »

You're an inchie making machine! They're all so amazing, but I really love the lunch time zentangles. I think I'll have to swipe some of my associates business cards to doodle on during lunch now. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009 08:41:01 AM »

Making the lunch time zentangles was amazing!  I'm in a job that really needs to get away for lunch and sometimes I can't really get away enough.  But the little square of paper and a set of markers did the job very well!  I added the color once I got home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
lovesclutter

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009 06:11:40 PM »

Definitely lunch time zen inchies. Great color and visuals.Like to see a close up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009 07:37:52 PM »

Thanks.  My stuff's posted on Flickr where you can see them larger.  This is the link to the lunch zen ones:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/munltstmpr/3722325608/in/set-72157621350321763/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
audio

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2009 04:20:21 PM »

Mun - I LOVE LOVE LOVE That space set!!! (hm...what have you done with them...?)

SO This thread hasn't been getting very much attention, not even by me. I have a hard time making inchies, I can't just throw them together...

We totally need a new theme. Do any of you have any themes you would like to inspire us with?

Themes I like - Space, Colors, Gem Stones, Quotes, stars, Eyes, Zen emotions....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009 08:13:49 PM »

Thank you, audio.  They're actually mixed in with all my other keeper inchies.  I almost wish that I wrote some kind on recipe as I make some of these cause I have no idea how some of them came to be.  Kinda like in the kitchen... throw in a bit of this, a pinch of that, stir for a while and never be able to make it again!

The start of the school year is distracting me from everything for the next many days, but I was thinking of doing a series of inchies on books and reading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
audio

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2009 09:53:45 PM »

I MADE THREE INCHIES!!!

I made these today with some printouts I had of my favorite painting ever, The Birth of Venus by Sandro Boticelli.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009 11:07:35 PM »

I think I'll have to join this, I made my first set of inchies the other night, along with a whole 8.5"x11" sheet of bases.  I'm not sure I love them, they don't seem quite finished to me yet, but the whole inch by inch is so tiny it's intimidating!  I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them.  I think it will help me to have a theme, because an inch squared is too tiny for my brain to really compose yet!  I've been stalking the last round of the inchie swap, and you ladies (I think, gentlemen too if you're out there) are so talented, I have a hard time picking a favorite!  What are people's preferred base materials?  I just used some cardstock because it's what I had on hand, but it seems maybe a little light weight?

audio:  your Birth of Venus inchies are really cool, the last one with the cutout eyes is kind of creepy and demonic looking.

MunLtStmpr:  I love love love your inchie travel journal!  I always mean to keep a travel journal (actually just a journal in general), but I kind of suck at it and just end up with another bag of tickets, pamphlets, and the like to add to my ever increasing collection of stuff I plan to do something with some day.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009 11:11:26 PM by bunnyface » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009 04:55:19 PM »

My very first inchies!  I'm not too sure about them, they don't really look finished to me, but I don't know what they're missing.  Any suggestions?  I made the lock and the girl (who looks pretty mischievous to me) and then had six bases left, so I decided to do a word and "secret" was the first six letter word I thought of that seemed to fit.  Be gentle, it's my first try Wink

(I would have liked the word to be one line, but it was too long to get a good picture that way, so I had to break it up.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MunLtStmpr

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009 08:24:36 PM »

Bunnyface, great set!  "secret" works so well with the images.

The background is beautiful.  Would you share how you made it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MyPins
MyArt
bunnyface

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009 10:37:21 PM »

Thanks a lot!  I really love all the inchies you've posted, especially the lunch time zen ones.  I just tried my first zentangle in my altered journal.  The background is these "airbrush" effect markers I've had since high school.  It's basically a marker that you insert into the lid (which has a hole on the end) and put the base, which is kind of like a straw, on the other end, and blow your little heart out.  I nearly passed out after doing all the colors, some of the markers were pretty dry I think.  I don't have the box anymore, and I don't know if they even still make them, but if they are still around they would probably be in the children's art section of any department store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009 06:38:36 AM »

bunnyface, I think these are great. You asked if something was missing. and the only thing is maybe a border around them?? Some use pen, glitter or embroidery floss. Being the main color is black though, I would leave them just as they are.

Did you take a photo or scan them. You can always scan them lengthwise. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009 08:59:12 AM »

I have to take pictures, we don't have a scanner (I'm hoping for one for Christmas though Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

malmow
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009 12:15:29 PM »

If you want them to look a little more "finished" you could add a boarder to some of them. Dots or lines or something.
I think they look great though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
malmow
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2009 12:33:48 PM »

bunnyface, I think these are great. You asked if something was missing. and the only thing is maybe a border around them?? Some use pen, glitter or embroidery floss. Being the main color is black though, I would leave them just as they are.

Haha I started replying last night and then went to bed with the window still open. I see lovesclutter had the same idea I did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DanniQuee
The Artful Danni

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009 08:50:23 AM »

Love those inchies Bunnyface! I have that girl stamp too - I love the look on her face, definitely mischevious.

Here are my latest inchies, all swapped out and in new homes!
Inchies that went off to Spain:

Inchies that went off to Ireland:

These two sets have 4 pieces of a 6 part zentangle. I kept the last two pieces for myself. Smiley

Inchies from the latest inchies swap!

I have a few that I made for just myself, but they are mixed in my big envelope of inchies right now waiting to be framed at random with inchies I've received from swaps. I'll try to dig them out and take a photo - they're pretty random!

Edit to add:

And, Inchies that went off to live with Audio. I was in a hurry to get her package in the mail and forgot to photograph them, so I'm borriwing these images from her!
Space:

Science Fiction:

We both love Doctor Who and more spcifically, the tenth Doctor so an adorable David Tennant inchie was a must!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009 08:54:00 AM by DanniQuee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovesclutter

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009 09:17:11 AM »

These are great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyface

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009 03:21:14 PM »

DanniQuee you are an inchie machine!  I was proud that I got more than 10 done in a sitting!  I really love the layered ones with the holes punched in the top, and I borrowed your idea and did a 9 piece zentangle.  Here's my last batch from the past couple of nights:

My favorites are the button and lace, candles, Chinese junk, bicycle, and toilet (from a Russian picture dictionary.  mr. bunnyface was laughing at me because I was having so much fun pronouncing all the words, which is teeny tiny underneath the Russian, though I'm sure my pronunciation is horrid).

I'm really excited because MunLtStmpr and I are in a group for the altered puzzle swap and we agreed to swap some inchies too, so I'll have a nice start to a collection!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Pinup Hair Style
How to Blow Dry your Hair
How to do the Britney Spears Hairstyle
How to Create a Beachy Hair Style
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...