A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Portable pincic placemat for eco-friendly lunches!  (Read 7924 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 01, 2008 02:11:14 PM »

A friend of mine and I like to meet for lunch on campus, especially to eat outside when the weather is nice. This often involves getting meals from the many ethnic food carts or takeout restaurants near campus (or bringing lunch from home) and carrying it to a nearby picnic table. As we both strive for ways of making our lives more eco-friendly, we've often lamented at the use of paper napkins and disposable utensils. With that in mind, I made her this for her birthday:

It's a portable placemat that unrolls to reveal a sturdy knife, fork, spoon, chopsticks, and cotton napkin! You then flip it over and can enjoy a nice eco-friendly lunch on dirty picnic tables, grassy spots on the green, cement benches, or even your lap!

This was my first time making something without a pattern, and I had a lot of fun (I free-hand quilted the back, though it's hard to see, and there is a layer of batting in between the front and back main panels). It was also an experiment, so I'm eager to make another to test out better ways of making the pattern. My plan is to make a tutorial, if people are interested. Comments and critiques welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
JLMS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008 02:14:10 PM »

This is a great gift. I hope you made one for yourself, too. I think I will make a couple for keeping in the car for travel. Thanks for the great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008 02:15:45 PM »

This is a great gift. I hope you made one for yourself, too. I think I will make a couple for keeping in the car for travel. Thanks for the great idea.

I'm definitely going to make one for myself next, to keep in my office at school. I think I'll make the tutorial from that one (if it goes well!). Smiley I'm glad you like it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008 02:20:13 PM »

Great idea!

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supermedic
SUPERMEDIC

Live Love Laugh But Laugh the Most

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008 02:24:25 PM »

love it and would love a tute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008 03:38:05 PM »

I like your style better than the one I found online - and planned to make this week -
http://ccswch.wordpress.com/2008/04/15/picnic-placemat-tutorial/
So now I have to rethink my placemat - I love the idea of the pocket for the cloth napkins as well.... decisions decisions now!

Great gift idea!  I can see making these for others as well - my kids teachers at school has the kids eat outside fairly often... I could make one for each kid in the class so they don't have to put their lunches on the ground...

okay. now you have made more work for me! I better get started before school starts up again!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
acajjou
Not your momma's librarian.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008 03:51:25 PM »

That's a fantastic idea.  And you used such cute fabrics together.  Wonderful all over!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008 06:15:06 PM »

That's a great idea!  Those are great fabrics too!  I'm sure you friend will love it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
YukinaKipling
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008 07:08:16 PM »

that's a realllyyyy good idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008 10:14:28 PM »

How cool is that? Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008 05:10:29 AM »

Thanks for all the comments!

Craftydeb - I hadn't seen that other pattern, thanks for the link! I toyed with the idea of making the pockets removeable (velcro?), since the utensils run the length of the placemat, but decided against it. I also thought about a ribbon to tie the roll up, but wasn't able to find one I liked in time for the gift! I think the next on might feature a closure of some kind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008 05:45:52 AM »

I do like things from both placemats - you could in theory make almost like a double pocket  or even a flap- one facing up and one facing down to fully enclose the silverware and napkin have them meet in the middle - this way the placemat could be *flat* on the bottom ya know?  The plate wouldn't wobble due to the uneven material thanks to the pocket - but then who would have a plate?  But if you did run a second pocket across the top as well it would also keep your silverware from falling out if it were upside down.  I am not sure if that makes any sense at all.

I do love the tie on the link I had found  but am not too keen on the tiny sewn on pocket.  I like the way you did that running across the length of the placemat.
I have some books from the 70's that had roll up placemats in them as well.  If I can find the floor in my craft room I might be able to find my books... okay, that is not going to happen any time in the near future is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
antarcticraft

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2008 06:57:53 AM »

Oh! I love the idea of a flap on the running pocket to keep the silverware inside! One thing I want to do for the next one is make the pockets narrower so that the silverware stays snugly inside, so perhaps that would help save middle space by bringing them closer to the sides? Thanks for the ideas - I can't wait to experiment on the next one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

toos

To thine own self be true! - William Shakespeare

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008 08:02:14 AM »

I love this! What a great idea. I am also worry about throwing away my forks, spoons, etc. I actually use one set of plastic utensils at work and just wash them over and over each.

This is really clever.

Oh something else that might be good for this is that special materal that make for outdoors. You know what I mean? It is like it almost has a plastic coat on it. Then, if you spill something on it, it is easy to clean up and won't stain! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008 08:11:46 AM »

Oh something else that might be good for this is that special materal that make for outdoors. You know what I mean? It is like it almost has a plastic coat on it. Then, if you spill something on it, it is easy to clean up and won't stain! Smiley

I thought about using a cute oilcloth for the back, but decided I liked the fabrics I'd picked out too much not to use them. I did make it so it was washable, though (it has a cotton batting inside)! An oilcloth version would be nifty, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008 10:05:19 AM »

And yet another thing to add to my unending list of things I need to try to make!

Fantastic idea, great job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
razberryjam
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008 12:41:38 PM »

I love this! I've been thinking of making something similar for camping, but meeting friends for campus picnics is also nice! Thanks for the inspiraiton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008 12:58:12 PM »

I love this! I've been thinking of making something similar for camping, but meeting friends for campus picnics is also nice! Thanks for the inspiraiton.

Ooh! There's talk of a camping swap, so that would be a great idea...maybe you could use a spork, and somehow include a plate or bowl or something to make it more camping-friendly?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008 01:59:46 PM »

I can not wait until you post a tutorial.  This is a brilliant idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
beehart
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008 02:01:28 PM »

what a great idea!  i love this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green_eyedgirl81

Stop molesting STEWie bunny!

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008 05:04:37 PM »

So cute!!!  I love this idea.  i have those same fat quarters too!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't forget your towel.
madfishmonger
Mongering your fishes since 1999

Fish in a jester hat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008 06:14:05 AM »

Neat idea! It doesn't look that hard to make either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.
-Oscar Wilde
antarcticraft

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008 08:50:59 PM »

So cute!!!  I love this idea.  i have those same fat quarters too!!!

I used three out of four pieces in the quarters pack, and I didn't even have to cut them! Smiley I did it all with folding. It was very handy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009 06:29:24 AM »

This would be such a good idea for my dad and step-mom!  They ride motorcycles and stop by picnic tables to eat their lunch.  These would fit right into a saddlebag!  Thanks!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009 09:00:49 AM »

You are awesome. That is one of the coolest things I've seen on here. This rocks. Cheesy I would like to see a tutorial, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
antarcticraft

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009 11:45:53 AM »

With the renewed interest in this, and with picnic season coming around again here in the Northern Hemisphere, I've been inspired to go back to this and do a second try with a tutorial! I'll post a comment here with the newest version as soon as it's ready. I definitely want to make the utensil pockets smaller and come up with a better closure system (probably a tie-off). Thanks, guys! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

hat-and-bag-lady

Too lazy 2 work, too honest 2 steal, jst rt to sew

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009 05:27:07 PM »

I forget where I saw something like this: it was similar: there were several of them in a set and it was for sale ... somewhere. It had something to do with going out picnicking. But this is way better.
Very well done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A.T. Morel
Aragdollie
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2009 09:59:24 AM »

I bet she loved it! I think I would like to do something similar- but lined with vinyl cuz I am a messy girl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
antarcticraft

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009 07:10:38 AM »

Oooh, a vinyl (or the name of the material that they make tablecloths out of that is escaping me pre-morning-tea) with canvas would be a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mhills

That's A Stitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009 07:41:32 AM »

Would love a tutorial for this placemat. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Delectably Deviant
the artist formerly known as monkeystuffer

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009 09:45:15 AM »

This is a great idea, it would be perfect for lunches at work.. and what a great use for leftover fabric.  I just might have to make some of these. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
United States in Style: Portland
Fashion Fixes With Kelly Lee
Three Takes on the Printed Pants Trend
Olivia Wilde Shows Us How to Rock a T-Shirt
Style Sound-Off: Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Beyonce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...