A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Orange Flowery Leopard. OR. Schizophrenic chair.  (Read 6457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prettyandpetite

I always run with scissors.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2008 01:55:39 PM »

I bought this chair from a local charity shop for 5, and although it wasn't massively ugly, it was pretty boring...
Well my flatmates (future housemates) and I decided to do our kitchen orange (rented house, so actually all of our kitchen accessories will be orange), and my chair did help this decision.

I apologise for the quality of the pictures, my digital camera is not nearly as good as I would like.

It started out life as a dark brown, varnished boring chair...

I got some funny looks on the bus home carrying a chair (also some funny comments - "The bus company does provide seats you know, you don't have to bring your own"...along with another inexplicable one "No wonder I felt sick, there's a chair on the bus!"...perhaps I heard him incorrectly), and had to walk down a big hill carrying it. As soon as I got it back to the uni flat though, I sanded it and PVA'd it, and then painted a layer of watered down orange acrylic, then a second layer, then sanded it and decoupage the flowers....the flowers kept making the paint peel off, and I had to do touch ups there, and then when I white washed the whole thing, patches of orange paint rubbed off...that was fun. So it's a bit patchy but I think I sanded most of it to blend in...and I sanded some of the paint off completely to give it a more rustic/worn look.

Painted Orange...

White Washed and Decoupaged (You can see some of the patches  Embarrassed)

Close up of one of the parts of decoupage (and a gratituous shot of my lurverly toes)

Another piece of decoupage

The "Hot Seat"

Another close up - distressing detail

This first, salmony, coral, orange part of the chair is one part of my personality - I am bright and easily excitable, as well as being "on trend" with fashion colours (Apparantly the "hot" colour for summer is Salmon/Coral... Roll Eyes Funny that I was wearing it all through spring)...
Another part of my character is represented by the flowers - I am a huge girly girl. I love being feminine and I love flowers and pink things and fluffy things and I oooh and aaah at prettyness.
Another part of my character is represented by the vintage distressing - I am very traditionally minded, and believe I should have been born 100+ years ago, due to my love of all things vintage (I really do believe that "they don't make them like they used to")
Another side of me loves to take the old and transform it into the new - recycling this way is fun!

I then wanted to make a cushion for this chair. Our uni chairs are horrible and uncomfortable, and sans cushions. So I decided that because I have finished my first year, and am moving out of halls and into a house, I deserved a lovely cushion for my grown up bottom. I also wanted to funk up the chair a little and this is another side of my character - I love to stand out. I usually try to portray this in the way that I dress, I try and be unique, and that is one of the main main reasons why I craft - to stand out, to create one-of-a-kind items...

With the cushion....

Close up of the cushion

I used a regular cushion pad (much much cheaper than a proper chair cushion) and sewed my cushion cover with ties, and then sewed four pink buttons on to squish it down to make a chair cushion...

And Voila! All Done! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brynns Mom
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008 02:39:19 PM »

The story of the chair is almost as great as its new look! Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
D.I.Y.-ish

If it ain't broke...am I in the right house?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008 04:46:00 PM »

I really love it. Awesome job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her." Agatha Christie
marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008 07:18:53 AM »

I love the "schizophreny" of the chair - it's cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
jeannebaby1

I'm cute and fluffy!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008 05:48:33 PM »

I love the chair. Very beautiful, and the color jumps at you, and the cusion brings it down, perfect combo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No body move!! I dropped my brain.
"Chase the morning..."-Blind Mag
"Fire bad, tree pretty."-Buffy

My Esty Shop.....
http://www.twosumowrestlers.etsy.com

My blog, I don't do much with. It's new.
http://between-asleep-and-awake.blogspot.com/
KMOM13
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008 02:05:51 AM »

This will look awesome in your orange kitchen.

The personality of this chair is awesome; it has a very '70's retro vibe of happy orange combined with aggressive leopard with dainty flowers.   

THIS ROCKS   Logged
myfrenchhat
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008 12:02:03 PM »

i love the orangey-ness!

i have te EXACT same chair!

this old man offered who two me, so i kept one (still brown) and gave one to my friend to "borrow", who has since painted it white!

at first i thoguht it might have some antiquey value (haha!) but then i realised, nah, its worth about a fiver!

it'd look great if you added even more decoration i think!

are you going to have a different colour theme in each room? lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

home is where the art is
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cartoon Collage
How to Have a Perfect Green Christmas
How to Create a Wrapping Paper
How to Create Your Own Napkin Ring
How to Gift Wrap a Bottle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...