A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hogwart's flavored self striping sock yarn -lots of pictures  (Read 8069 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008 , harry_potter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2008 07:16:30 PM »

I've just skeined this up, and I thought I'd share - it's for a non-craftster swap (but, yeah, Harry Potter) so hopefully my partner won't see it here.  I'm using Knit Picks bare fingerweight yarn and lanaset dyes.  And before you say it's not the right green for Slytherin, it's not, but I think it's the right one in the project. A darker green would have been shocking, I think, with all that yellow/gold/bronze, red, and black.

Alright, here's the deal about self-striping sock yarn.  There's some disagreement as to how long it has to be, but I got my numbers from Vildhavre's tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=188946.0, because god knows I only knit as a last resort.

What I had heard previously is that you need a loop of at least 25 feet (or 50 feet?), but was unable to find confirmation of that.  So, convinced by her pictures, I went with Vildhavre's numbers, which is roughly 30 yards.  And not wanting to tie up the chairs (ha ha), I staked it out in the garden.  (Actually, this approach also means the dyeing can be more flexible in regards to number and size of stripes.)

One side is really a stake, the other is a fence post.

I am walking along inside the loop to be sure I don't mess it up.  It needs to be a big open loop.  As you'll see.

Once all the yarn is in the big loop (it's about 12 passes), every thing is tied, and I made ties every two or three yards.  And the more ties the better, people!  I'm terrified of tangles.  Then I freed one end, and began to make interior loops of about two arm-lengths each, which are tied off themselves.

Then they are soaked overnight and then put into jars with vinegar and dye, and heated in a pan of water for half an hour or so... covered, to keep the steam in. 

Fewer colors can be done in a pot with a lid; with eight colors, I was forced to use this roasting pan with foil on top.  Otherwise- completely the same.  (Although, last time, I filled the jars to overflowing and spaces between the colors filled itself in, and this time, I didn't, and they didn't... so, I suppose there's a lesson in that.)

Let it cool, rinse it out (several times)... let it dry.  And then you see how well you tied it.  Then it's back on the stakes to be untied.

And then niddy-noddied.

And then twisted up into a skein.

And the other thing is that I'm doing some just in Ravenclaw colors.  It's two colors, so, a much shorter loop.

And it was dyed in a pot with roving and other yarn, but otherwise just like the jars, but on a bigger scale.

And here that is skeined:

It's fun, despite all the winding and unwinding, I'm already planning lots of non-Harry Potter related colorways.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008 07:21:33 PM »

Very cool Cheesy I am not into Harry Potter at all, but I really want to try dying yarn Cheesy I wish I had a back yard, darn second story apartment Sad

I love the gold and blue one at the end, very pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
random_awesome
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008 07:33:01 PM »

wow they turned out beautifully! i love the colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you lose that sense of wonder, that curiosity, that ability to be surprised, then you're going blind." -Robert Rauschenberg
ccswch
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008 07:34:28 PM »

That is fantastic!!! I love the colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Current Swaps
indigo_roses
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008 07:56:48 PM »

Awesome! I think you should join the HP swap here so that I can be your partner and get myself some of that striping goodness.  Cheesy I'm sure your partner will love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008 07:58:21 PM »

This gives me a whole new respect for self-striping yarns.  Seriously - you are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clrowi
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008 09:49:52 PM »

Wow! Not only wonderful work, but totally cool that you offered up such great intruction. Makes me wanna go try it myself. Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krandui

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008 10:04:41 PM »

Wow!! that's awesome! I love the colours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silverkleptofox
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008 10:47:43 AM »

wow. I never knew how they did that... it's so deceivingly simple! I learned something today.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You just TRY to get me away from my sewing machine.
astormorray
I love looms.

just spin the yarn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008 04:43:23 PM »

Thanks for all your comments guys!  It was something I was desperate to try, but worried about, but turned out to be really fun.  And everyone should do it.  Cheesy  The same thing is completely workable with kool-aid or wilton cake icing dyes.

Very cool Cheesy I am not into Harry Potter at all, but I really want to try dying yarn Cheesy I wish I had a back yard, darn second story apartment Sad

I love the gold and blue one at the end, very pretty Smiley

Thanks!  Although, it's convenient to have a yard, it's really just a matter of finding a way to make the distance in whatever area you have available.  If you look at Vildhavre's tutorial, she did it on chairs, just going around each one several times before moving on to the next...  I mean, it's like warping for a loom.  You can do it in a straight line, or on a warping board where you go all over to make you loop.

For the second, I was thinking about wrapping a table, but while I'm still pretty sure it would have worked, I couldn't quite convince myself, so I went with two chairs, instead.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008 04:45:11 PM by astormorray » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Conceal Dark Circles Under Eyes | Mac Daddyy Makeovers
Best & Worst Style
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks
Amazing Gifts Your Pets Will Love
Michelle Phan: Social Media Secrets From a Youtube Goddess
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...