A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 301,531
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first attempt at "proper" earrings...  (Read 952 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chickybiker
« on: November 26, 2008 01:23:56 PM »

Hiya!

Okay, so it's been a loooooong time since I started a topic, and never before in this category, so here goes....

These were the first ones I made.  Bear in mind that the top bead of each one is the same shape, kinda nuggety, just turned around differently - they also show different colours depending on which side you see! 

(You get a good idea of the range and brightness of the colours on these first two pictures.)

Then I made some smaller ones for a very petite friend!  Bearing in mind they seem to be appearing that bit larger than life here.

These others were taken at night, and though they were back AND front lit, as well as with a flash, they still came out a bit washed out and dark.  However, you get the general idea from the two above.  I just wanted to show you the different combinations of shapes that I made.

I think these are my favourite coz they're unusual.  They were supposed to have a smaller long bead (as below) hanging from the top, so they looked like cherries with a leaf, but the middle one hung straight down and they looked rude!:

A friend bought these off me already:

I have had to use the tools I already own as I couldn't afford to buy anything more.  Any comments or suggestions for improvement from you experienced jewellery makers is welcome. 

I guess they're a bit ordinary for Craftster, but I hope you like them.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008 01:47:29 PM »

I love the first pair!  The colors are so bright and shimmery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.com
sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008 03:01:07 PM »

You did quite well not having the right tools. I love those type of beads. I love your comment about the "rude" beads. Too funny. I tend to force symetry on my work but it tends to look better if it's not symmetrical. Think about making the wire two different lengths or and a third round one in the middle using a jump ring or chain or eye pin.
Tip: on picking up the right tools even tho they are not the best quality. 40%-50% off coupons at places like Michael's and JoAnn's Thurs and Fri or when you can save up the coins for ppl in the USA.

Edit: instead of bringing the wire together for the two balls, just cross the wire. Like an "X".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008 03:02:48 PM by sactownsue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
chickybiker
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008 03:45:30 PM »

Thank you both!

To sactownsue, thanks for the feedback.  I'd thought about a third bead on the "balls" one (I just can't get away from them being rude, can I?  Grin), but didn't have any more of that type.  I was also wary of them maybe looking a bit like the logo for pawn shops.  (I dunno if it's the same in the US as here in the UK?)

It's still an idea for future earrings though, but I think I'd do like you said and probably do them asymmetrical. 

It took me a while to figure out how long to leave the head pins before I bent them round to attach them, which is why, if you look closely, some of the loops look a bit oval. 

Also the (I think DIY?) circular pliers I used weren't as fine at the tip as the proper jewellery ones are, so it was very fiddly putting loops in.

I did think about crossing the wires, but thought it might look a bit unintentional, like maybe they got bent by accident?  It would have been a lot easier though!

Being in the UK I don't have access to the same things you do, and when I do they're usually a lot more expensive.   Sad

I keep dreaming that one day I'll have a debit card so I can buy things over the internet.....

Anyways, thanks again!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sactownsue
The world is a circle...

MrMiagi '01 - aka rascal - We miss you MissDaisy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008 04:22:21 PM »

Not having more of that type bead doesn't have to stop you. I can see a black faceted bead in there. Even better than more of the same type. Not familiar with pawn shops having logos... Don't think they do here. Seems like they just have "open" and "pawn" somewhere...
Think about a loop in the center of the wire, sorta like a bobby pin, run both ends thru the bead, then separate the ends and put a bead at each end.
These things do take practice. Oval is ok.
The pliers are usually called rosary (rosaries have a lot of those links) similarly needle nose. I've seen some in the scrapbooking "tool kits". I've tried it with needle nose plies from the hardware store... Yuck!
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201738TL
They ship internationally. That must cost a fortune...

I know I used to want to live in a less congested neighborhood but I like living in a city with STORES. Life in the USA isn't perfect, for me anyway, but I can't imagine living anywhere else.

Have you tried a "WANTED" post on freecycle? or craigslist? People advertise the most interesting stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MAKE: something of yourself
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
"Everything is deeply intertwingled." - Ted Nelson, ca 1974
wists-fulness - http://wists.com/SacTownSue/

Rarely online these days. Will respond to PM when I notice them. AT&T SNAFU!
chickybiker
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008 05:01:36 PM »

Not having more of that type bead doesn't have to stop you. I can see a black faceted bead in there. Even better than more of the same type.

Good idea.  I'll be trawling the beads (with my beady eyes  Roll Eyes) now when I'm next somewhere that sells them!

Not familiar with pawn shops having logos... Don't think they do here. Seems like they just have "open" and "pawn" somewhere...
Think about a loop in the center of the wire, sorta like a bobby pin, run both ends thru the bead, then separate the ends and put a bead at each end.

You'll see what I mean if you Google "Pawn shop logo"!  I like the bobby pin idea and totally get what you mean.  Smiley

These things do take practice. Oval is ok.

Phew, thanks.  Will practice!

The pliers are usually called rosary (rosaries have a lot of those links) similarly needle nose. I've seen some in the scrapbooking "tool kits". I've tried it with needle nose plies from the hardware store... Yuck!
http://www.firemountaingems.com/details.asp?PN=H201738TL
They ship internationally. That must cost a fortune...
I know I used to want to live in a less congested neighborhood but I like living in a city with STORES. Life in the USA isn't perfect, for me anyway, but I can't imagine living anywhere else.

You don't need to tell me - I moved from Manchester (big city, some - generally Mancunians - would say it's the next best place to London for shopping) to the sticks!  Better quality of life, worse quality of shopping by a loooooooong way!

Have you tried a "WANTED" post on freecycle? or craigslist? People advertise the most interesting stuff.

Okay, this is embarrassing.   Embarrassed  I run a Freecycle group.  It's a bit like the builders house or the mechanics car.  I hardly ever use it for myself!   Roll Eyes

(And I am in my 30's and still haven't got the hang of apostrophes!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

green r my tear$
I Praise GOD for my TALENT$ and MOTIVATION!!

U R ONLY LIMITED BY UR IMAGINATION!! SO IMAGE...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008 10:39:40 PM »

these are way kooooL!!  i like i like!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katrena'sGifts&Such

Enrolled Swap:
chickybiker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008 09:39:51 AM »

these are way kooooL!!  i like i like!!

Aww, thanks green!   Smiley Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moondragon
Swinging in the Wind

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008 08:18:09 PM »

I think they are cute! Very pretty beads!

As for not having the right tools, I've been there before. But I think you did an awesome job!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my esty shop! ^_^
chickybiker
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008 04:15:20 AM »

I think they are cute! Very pretty beads!

As for not having the right tools, I've been there before. But I think you did an awesome job!  Grin

It's always reassuring to have feedback from people who have experience in these things. 

Thank you Moondragon!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital Photography Editing Software
Flash Photography Techniques
How to Make Your Own Camera Dolly
Maternity Photography, A Really Cool Job
How to Take Cute Baby Pictures
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...