A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
786 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Body casting *NEW PHOTOS* pg. 6*PSEUDO TUTE* PAGE 4 *&* MORE PHOTOS ON PAGE 2  (Read 10577 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pickled_peppers
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008 02:43:28 PM »

These are incredible! Cheesy I LOVE the tealight holder! Cheesy Amazing job! Shocked

This Rocks!  Times a million!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps Cheesy

My Etsy ... www.nutsaboutcroche t13.etsy.com

Follow me on Tumblr for all of my crochet projects!
http://whenidreamidreaminyarn.tumblr.com
blenderbabe22384
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008 02:44:16 PM »

wow thats amazing, I bet the faces are hard to cast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tiny_viking
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008 03:02:19 PM »

this is AWSOME! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kraftykel

This place will try to change you, let it.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008 03:17:33 PM »

Those are so awesome! You're so talented!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every horse deserves a little girls' love.
toothfairy51
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008 03:22:18 PM »

Want to make sure you see the photos on page 2
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
PurpleHeather
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008 04:03:15 PM »

These are all wonderful, but I especially love the mermaid one.  It's just so beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

southern5footer
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008 04:04:49 PM »

these are amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skylarC
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008 04:13:54 PM »

Uh, wow, that last one is the most gorgeous candle holder i have ever laid eyes on.

you rock
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
mygrandmasaysimkool
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2008 04:24:02 PM »

Anything I say really has already been said. I think you do an amazing job and anyone who has the chance to be casted (I'm sure thats the wrong word) by you is lucky Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toothfairy51
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2008 04:38:21 PM »

OK Tongue here goes. I don't really have pictures of the casting process, I have only video. There are many things involved in the lifecasting process. It can be rather expensive, time consuming and VERY messy. Doing faces can be dangerous. Doing pregnancy casts, can also present a safety issue. It has taken me many years to learn this 'art'. I'll try to put it all in a nutshell.
Doing small pieces where intricate detail is warranted requires a prosthetic grade of 'Alginate'. This is the same stuff that the dentist uses to take impressions of your mouth, only a higher grade. Doing large body parts like torso, back, leg/legs, etc., you use orthopedic plaster bandage cut into easy to handle lengths.  Basicly what you do for the larger body parts is grease up your victim/victims body part, then in a pan of water, dip your plaster strips in and out and lay on the body part making sure you smooth out any air bubbles. Cover the entire part, being careful not to go around any corners ( you won't be able to get your mold off later). Smooth each layer and work quickly, you are working on under constraints. You will need enough layers to make the dried plaster mold rigid under the weight of the plaster that you'll use for your final piece. Normally, in my climate, Florida, it takes about 20-30 min. before you can take the mold off the body.  Your model will need to remain perfectly still for this time. Once the plaster is fairly set, you can remove it from your victim. It will need to be fully supported for the next step. Apply a release agent to the inside of the mold. I use turtle wax (for your car). Mix your casting plaster (I use a product called Hydrostone. This is weather proof. You could also use Hydrocal, not weather proof, or fiberglass, very expensive). Once the material has hardened, you can remove the mold. Now you have a 'lifecast'. I finish mine with spray paint, usually. The cast must be TOTALLY dry before any painting can be done. Days, sometimes weeks.
It is much more involved than this. If you want to try, PLEASE start with something easy like a belly. It's fairly smooth but still large enough to allow you to get the hang of laying the strips, smoothing and removing.
Any more questions you have, I'll be more than happy to answer. Feel free to PM me.
 Kiss
toothfairy51
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Animated Emoticon with Adobe Photoshop
How to Outline your Fonts in Illustrator
How to Embed Images into Adobe Illustrator CS
Split Toning in Photoshop - Video Tutorial
-How to Create a Sequence in Premiere Pro CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...