A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Body casting *NEW PHOTOS* pg. 6*PSEUDO TUTE* PAGE 4 *&* MORE PHOTOS ON PAGE 2  (Read 10757 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

toothfairy51
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2008 10:39:03 AM »

Oh my God, wow. These are so gorgeous! I love all of them, but my absolute favorites are the tealight holder and the hear/speak/see no evil one! Amazing, they're all amazing! I'd absolutely love to try doing this, but I'm not sure I get the process completely, and I have no idea where I could get the materials needed.
I get the plaster bandage (the same stuff they wrap a broken bone with) online from a company, Douglass & Sturgess, in bulk 40lb container. It's not very expensive and comes in rolls of different widths. The plaster that I use for the actual piece, I get locally from a gypsum company, a place where they sell concrete, plaster and such. I use Hydrostone because it is also used to make garden statuary. It is very weather proof. These pieces can be left outside with no deterioration, here in Florida.
The first step is to use the plaster impregnated bandage to make your mold. Once the mold is hard enough, 20 minutes, you take it off the body, coat the inside with a release agent like car wax then mix and pour the Hydrostone in it. Once that has set, 1-2 hours, take off the mold (you will end up destroying the mold) sand out any bumps or imperfections, fill and holes left by air bubbles and finish with paint or decoupage, or however you want to finish it. Always end with clear coat of some kind to protect the finish.
I'll be happy to help as much as I can. Just ask.
 Kiss
toothfairy51
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009 05:34:17 AM »

I'm working on a face cast- I was actually able to cast my 3 year old (she did AWESOME!!). I'm going to try the turtle wax as a mold release, but I've got to ask a stupid question-do you let the wax dry before pouring in the plaster?
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toothfairy51
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2009 03:30:53 PM »

I'm sorry I didn't post back sooner, I kind of forgot about this thread and just checked it today.
About the turtle wax; you just use a thin coat. No need for dry time
Just coat it and mix your plaster or whatever, and pour.
I hope this helps.
Peace  Kiss
toothfairy51
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is hard.... it's harder if you're stupid
dancingnymph
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2010 04:26:16 AM »

I had my face cast in modroc by a friend when I was at school. I had a straw to breathe through and she just moulded around it. We used cling film instead of vaseline or grease.

I love the couple cast and the finishes are just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
6 Tips For Grilling Perfect Burgers: Labor Day Cooking Essentials
Recipe Twist: BBLT Sandwich
Lobster Corn Dog Recipe
The Secret to Perfect Buffalo Wings
What Your Chicago-Style Hot Dog is Missing
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...