A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: mending & replacing pants pockets  (Read 20048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: May 31, 2008 07:52:28 AM »

I did a search and only pulled up a few threads that contained the words pockets, so I decided to ask. My husband has ripped holes in every pair of pants he has. He asked me to fix them last night and I think he may have been annoyed when I said I didn't know how. The best I've been able to do is patch them or sew them up so that the hole is at least gone. He's started to call my pocket fixing, "Taco Pockets", because he can only get half his hand in them at this point. They just keep shrinking until they're gone. I think he thinks with all this *gulp* really expensive equipment I have, I oughta be able to fix a frickin' pocket. lol I can't say I disagree. Anyone have a good link or maybe some advice? When I google fixing/mending pockets I get a lot of info. for patching. These pockets are fully blown out. I guess hand sewing is my only option?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008 08:07:01 AM »

Jeans or slacks? front pockets or rear? and what on earth is he carrying in his pockets to wear them out so frequently?!? men  Roll Eyes You are right in that if he is putting holes in the fabric hand sewing is the only way to repair it without loosing pocket space.
If he is popping the pocket seam repair before laundering and/ or yell at him for not giving it to you to repair at the very first split. You cannot make frayed edges magically re-weave themselves into fabic again (you can quote that to him Wink ) So early detection is key. If he wears them repeatedly before telling you, making the holes bigger & bigger, it's is own fault!

It might be worth your while, knowing his pocket abuse tendencies, to replace the pockets on newly purchased jeans/ pants with ones made from heavier duty fabrics that the standard really light cotton they are made from. A good cotton duck should be comfy enough for inside pants but much tougher than the old stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008 01:40:04 PM »

Well you know, I forget that men don't get to carry purses, so it makes sense that the pockets ware out when my own don't. I've just never seen someone ware out all the pockets so often, so quickly. He usually carries a wallet, a phone, a large key ring with house/car/work keys, and tons of bits of paper with his most important information.  Roll Eyes Organization is not a word we'll apply here. It's mostly jeans and shorts. I'm just terrible at hand sewing and I guess what I was looking for was info. on replacing the entire pocket, like you said before they even have a chance to ware out. I think that all the pants are going in the donation bin and we'll just have to start fresh. I don't have the patience for all that. lol I'll keep trolling the net for advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008 02:47:18 PM »

eh, the keys are likely the biggest culprit. My husband has a bad habit of walking too close to barbed wire fences, it starts as a scratch & eventually works up to a slash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008 11:20:14 AM »

Well - way back when (I'm not sure how long ago or that they don't still sell the things for that matter) you could buy replacement pockets right there next to all the other mending items (like iron on tape, patches for jeans, etc) at the sewing store.

Something to try, probably with an old pair that won't be a problem if they end up with no pocket (if he doesn't have any of those then get a $1 or $2 pair from a yard sale or the goodwill).
1 - Cut the pocket out to create a pattern. On jeans there will be the quarter circle piece of actual denim fabric where the opening is so cut right along the edge of that denim. For the other piece (the side that is against the pants, not against his leg) you won't have that denim for a guide so just cut a couple of inches way from the top edge. If the side of the pocket is sewn into the side seam you will need to take that seam out before cutting. If the top of the pocket is sewn into the waistband do the cutting lower than that edge.
2 - Make a pattern for both the front and back pocket pieces (actually I guess that would be pocket and lining or something). Make sure you add seam allowance.
3 - Sew the pocket piece to the remaining edge of the pocket, the part still attached to the pants.
4 - Sew the bottom and side of the pocket. Resew the side seam if you had to take it out.

Other suggestions - buy him a "man purse" to carry all that junk in Grin. Reinforce all new pants with a second layer of fabric, trace the pocket simalar to the cutout described above, iron some fusible web to fabric, cut out the pattern, iron to the pocket, zigzag around the bottom/side, zigzag as much as possible at the tops.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeagleMommy
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008 12:40:49 PM »

Wow, there has already been a lot of good information on this thread already, but I have the same problem with my dh's jeans, too. He wears holes in the front of the pocket, not the bottom. It's his keys. What has worked for me so far is to wrap an iron on patch around the bottom of the pocket so it's reinforcing the front, back, and bottom of the pocket. It's held up pretty well so far. I guess I did this about a month ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008 01:35:09 PM »

I'm going to go get a bunch of iron patches. That makes  the most sense. Stop the problem before it starts. Thank you ladies for your responses, as this really is a huge problem in my house. 'Cause I'm thinkin' he's not going to be so into the man purse, as much as that would solve the problem. lol Some boys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shape Your Nails Like a Pro
A DIY Guide to Healthy, Happy Cuticles
How to Buff Your Nails to a Perfect Shine Every Time
Cream Blush: The Simple Guide to Getting It Right
How to Make False Eyelashes Look Real
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...