A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Grad Gift For Good Friend!  (Read 668 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmeliaB555
« on: May 30, 2008 09:29:53 PM »

Ok I have a very good friend who is graduating and I'm stumped about what to get her. 

She is a engineer major.

She loves coffee.

I thought about a "College Survival Kit'' (ideas?).

Loves reading!

Colors:

Blues, Greens, Neutrals,  Not Orange or Bright Reds

Thanks!

P.S.  I crochet, knit, and needle felt.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see my Etsy Store!

www.ameliadesign.et sy.com

Or my blog!

www.ameliab.blogspo t.com
AmeliaB555
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008 09:31:42 PM »

She likes music too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come see my Etsy Store!

www.ameliadesign.et sy.com

Or my blog!

www.ameliab.blogspo t.com
frubaloo

Go flexibility.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008 07:29:46 PM »

A "College Survival Kit" does sound like a good idea. I think it'd be neat if you had a combo of handmade stuff in there as well as some of the more practical things. For the latter, she'll probably thank you when she's going shopping for stuff and gets to save a few bucks on some of the essentials!

For handmade stuff, since she loves reading, you could probably make her a few bookmarks. Or, if she's into a certain series of books you could make a related project. For Harry Potter, for instance, I've seen those knitted scarves and you could probably crochet one of the animals from the series. Since she loves music, you could probably make her a mix CD or burn some CDs of artists that you think she'd like. The coffee aspect is a bit tough, but you could probably make a cool math-related toy. I've seen people customize Rubik's cubes and even make their own from dice (math related because you can use algorithms to solve them :p), or maybe you can do something similar. I know I've seen some math-ish toys on here before!

For the practical stuff, I'd use this list: http://acatnamedollie.livejournal.com/391.html
It's got TONS of stuff on it, and I find it to be a great guide of everything you'd need to bring to college. You could maybe customize some of the stuff on there to make it more personalized.

I personally am graduating this year, too, and I know photographs will be a blessing for me. Perhaps some of her friends and family would be well appreciated. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Personal Site | Email | AIM: Frubaloo
aurinko
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008 01:09:07 AM »

since she likes coffee, you could always get her a tumbler and put pictures, quotes and what have you in it (i know they make ones that you can add pictures and stuff too). also, another crafter on here poster a project where they got plain mugs and used ceramic pens on them. here is a link to that: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b3b6e90594dc590ffa6e72cac7fb4e5a&topic=253202.0

you could also make her a fleece blanket, or pillow or what have you with her school colors, mascot or initials, and tweak it to make it more her style, etc.

just thought of this: you could put it all into a rubbermaid container, those are great for storage and moving, which she will be doing a lot of!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008 01:11:26 AM by aurinko » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Distortion to your Advantage
How to Light a Macro Shoot
Comparison Between Abstract and Pictorial Photography
How to Light a Portrait with Small Flash Units Part 1/2
How to Photograph Water Movement Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...