A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
483 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: newbie to quilting has $ problems for fabric.  (Read 2358 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2008 09:26:45 PM »

O.k I would love to learn to quilt.But I have a money problem when it comes time for fabric. Sad.I have some but would love to have more.My dh(mutter,mutter) said I can't go to garage sales,or thrift stores ,or buy any .Because our budget is soo tight right now we can't afford it.Any ideas on how to quilt w/o spending a lot of money?Any ideas would be helpful. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008 05:10:59 AM »

mmm. that's a tough one. What my mom did when money was tight was to do whole cloth quilts with muslin, which can be picked up SUPER cheap (75c a yard or so last time we did one) when Jo-Anns has a coupon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whoopdedoo_5
I can resist anything...except temptation :P

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008 06:08:09 AM »

i would wait till you see something on sale...you can get things really cheap. Maybe you can do a swap with some people trade fabric for something else useful or other crafts u might have?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smudgycat
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008 08:59:25 AM »

You can also post on craigslist asking for some freebie fabric.

You can also cut up old sheets and clothing to practice different patching or applique techniques.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
grandmaluvs_alex
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008 11:19:52 AM »

Try working on DH regarding the garage sales and thrift stores! I'm a beginning quilter on a tight budget myself and the garages sales were by far my best option for getting cheap fabric. I got probably around 80% of my stash this way.

I've picked up fat quarter sizes for as little as 10 to 25 cents apiece, found "fill a bag for a buck (or 2)" deals, etc. I think my best find what a large plastic bin full of pieces that ranged from small scraps to a couple of yards for $10. And I do mean stuffed full! She even let me have the bin to keep it in. It was all newer quilt shop quality too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewHelpMe
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008 11:45:08 AM »

I, too, vote for working on your husband about garage sales and/or thrift shops.  Somewhere there's a post of a quilt that a woman made with recycled blue jeans.  Our Goodwill has jeans for $2.50 so that's definitely a cheap way to get some denim.

I don't know if suggesting a t-shirt quilt is a good idea or not?  I haven't sewn knits so I don't know how difficult that is, but that may be an option.

My mom is trying to learn to quilt, too, and she's having a problem with how expensive it is. 

Good luck in your search for fabric.  But be warned, once you get hooked, you won't want to stop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008 04:14:25 PM »

Once upon a time, prairie ladies used scraps from clothes to make quilts.  Nowadays, it is tough to quilt on a budget - everything is so bloody expensive.  One option could be to wish list fabric (or gift certs) for your birthday and gift giving holidays.  If you have an sewing/quilting friends, may be they could save some of their scraps for  you, too.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
anaximander
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008 05:51:29 PM »

Of course, depending on your area, there's also freecycle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ragdoll193
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008 05:59:30 PM »

you might be able to swap with people on craftster for other crafting goods you may have but don't use, or for already crafted goods.

for example, i would swap with you like this:
I give you a yard or two of fabric if you like what i have, then ask you to make me a little quilted pouch or something in return.

OR

if you have clothes that aren't in good enough condition to donate to goodwill, you can cut pieces out of them. you can also ask neighbors for any clothes they don't wear anymore. offer to bake them cookies or something in return.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

^♥^
♥the military will not stop me from crafting♥
IamSusie
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008 06:13:04 PM »

I hear you about this one!  I have a great fabric stash for my quilt tops, but then the batting, sashing, binding and backing fabric adds unexpected expense to the cost.  Quilting isn't a cheap hobby. A quilters fabric stash is precious and built up over many years.  When I first started, I bought carefully chosen fabric and we ate beans and rice a lot more often   Wink

You can use cotton shirts for fabrics.  I recommend regular woven cotton and not t-shirts if you are just starting quilting.  Try to stick with one fiber content with your fabric collecting if you can.

Watch for the craft store coupons.  JoAnns has them online, in the newspaper and in the mail if you are on their mailing list.  You can print off the Hobby Lobby online coupon and use it at stores that accept competitors coupons. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Use A Camera In After Effects
How to Outline Fonts in Adobe Illustrator
How to Correct Color using Photoshop Lab Space
Chang Color of Sky in Photoshop using Selective Color
How to Create a Gold Text Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...