A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,596
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: re-cover an ironing board? Help  (Read 1460 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thixle
« on: February 08, 2004 01:21:55 PM »

I have one of those mini-ironing boards that needs a facelift. What type of fabric and padding can I use for this?

I checked the local stores for covers, but apparently, they want you to buy a whole new board, with the crappiest designs ever. Even the full sized ones have bad colors...

Normally, it wouldn't be THAT big of a deal, but I am building a sewing machine cabinet (out of maple, oooh) and I want to attach the ironing board to it, so I want it to be really special.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004 01:22:18 PM by thixle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissRoo
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004 01:36:31 PM »

Ooooh, I need to know this too because my old Flintstones ironing board cover is getting pretty ragged! I just took a peek at mine and saw the padding underneath the cover. Does your mini board have padding that you can keep on it? (and just cover that with cotton fabric, or whatever is determined to be best for the top of the board?)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004 02:20:35 PM by MissRoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004 01:37:56 PM »

My first advice is to keep your eye out at thrift stores.  My ironing board cover, who knows the vintage, but fabulous and old, was new in the plastic when I bought it at the Goodwill for $0.89.  If you find a large cover, you can use that material for a cover for your smaller one.

(Sadly, my husband uses the ironing board more than me and has a tendancy to spill drinks on it while doing his shirts.  Hence, the stains.)

My mother has one of the extra-wide ironing boards with the holder for your iron.  Unfortunately, the model she has is no longer in production, and she can't get covers for it anymore.  She's made herself a couple out of heavy cotton canvas-like material or muslin.  One is printed, but I don't know by what process.  It would have to be iron-safe, and absolutely set, so as not to ruin anything you might be ironing.  I don't know about the padding, though.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
thixle
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004 01:50:41 PM »

Yeah, the padding needs to be replaced, too. It's starting to flake off in places... Hmmm... I wonder if I could just cut up some old towels to use for the padding.

But would you say 100% cotton for top? The cover I have is some kind of coated fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissRoo
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004 02:08:23 PM »

I've got a regular sized board (with the Flintstones cover) and an mini board. The mini board has that coated fabric cover, my Flintstones cover seems to be just plain old cotton.

The padding looks a lot like polyester quilt batting.

I just had a thought - my cover isn't too worn, but it is dirty. I could throw my cover in the washing machine! Thanks for getting me to do that! Grin

The mini-board:

The padding's a thin foam layer.

HGTV has some tips on ironing boards and ironing HERE . They say "Starch your ironing board cover so it will stay cleaner longer." and "A silver ironing-board cover is best for heat disbursement, but if you don't have one, simply place a layer of foil under the cover to reflect the heat."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2004 02:19:54 PM by MissRoo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2004 02:36:42 PM »

I just found this:
http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/ef_tailorironing.html
Apparently, you can use an old wool blanket for the padding, but I have no clue what the "special cotton knit" is, or why it costs $10 a yard!

My mini-board has the same padding as yours, MissRoo. And I love your Flinstone's cover!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissRoo
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2004 02:51:11 PM »

Thanks! My mom got that cover for me years ago because it was super cheap. Grin
Wow - 10 bucks a yard for "special cotton knit"? I think quilt batting would work just as well and it's much, much cheaper. It's been a while since I've made quilts, I can't remember how much the batting runs (it ranges by the quality/thickness) but it'll be a lot less than that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2004 04:47:09 PM »

It looks like those instructions are designed to maximize the effectiveness of steaming articles.  The combination of plain cotton muslin, whatever that special knit is, and the wool probably do a lot to pull the steam through the article being ironed and into the padding so the article doesn't get soaked.  I'd say you could do without the knit, and just use the wool and muslin.  Or, even better, just use the muslin over your existing padding if it is still good.  Miss Roo's idea of using quilt batting is probably a good one too, but avoid the stuff made of synthetic fibers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
knittykat
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004 09:47:08 AM »

Depending what you are doing, you have several options.  I inherited a fabulous oldie oldie ironing board from my grandma.  She had made a cover out of plain cotton muslin and for padding used an old wool army blanket.  Now, that stuff was all really old and I took it off and put on a new commercial cover.  However, it worked for years so your towel idea might work just fine.  You could also go to the fabric store and get a piece of foam.  It's pretty cheap as far as I remember.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bi-Rite Creamery’s Martha Stewart Sundae
How to Make Champagne Sorbet With Kimora Lee Simmons
How to Make Citrus Sorbet
Tiramisu Cake from the "Cake Boss"
Double Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...