A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
424 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting for the Sports Enthusiast (Patriots Illusion Scarf)  (Read 6327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2008 09:21:23 AM »

So I don't always get around to posting the stuff I make.  Somehow it seems so hard to snap a picture and upload it.  I know it only takes five minutes....but I digress...I just entered a craft contest and entered this project so I figured it was about time to get it up here.  Hope you like...

I made this scarf a while ago (over a year) for my boyfriend for our first Christmas together.  As a knitter, of course I just had to knit him something, but what.  Socks....I was a little nervous about making socks and only recently got over my anxieties (they are so fun to knit....seriously, give it a try).  A sweater...no way.  A scarf....hmmm....the idea had merit.  So I searched and searched and none of the "manly" scarves seemed right.  Most seemed so blah.  So...I took it upon myself to design a pattern.  This can't be that hard.  I mean, it is only a scarf.  I wanted to incorporate something he liked into the knitting.  Now, he is a huge sports fan...baseball, football, biking, tennis, golf, hockey, basketball, etc.  I think if it is a sport and on TV, he will watch it.  Being from New England, we are also very loyal to our teams.  With the idea of doing something for a New England team (Red Sox, Celtics {keeping my fingers crossed about tonight's game}, Patriots, and Bruins), I embarked on my journey.  I wanted something he could wear while the team was actually playing so the Sox were out.  I settled on the Patriots.  I figured it was simple and single color.  Using my computer, I finally ended up with the pattern below.  Simple stripes....

Or maybe something more...

So...what do you think?  This is the first pattern I have designed so I am super proud of myself so be nice (even if you think it is miserable Wink).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:01:48 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in personal swaps...and kittens...and rocks.  Weird huh?
QuiltersBlock

She's the model for the :D emoticon

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008 09:42:44 AM »

too cool! Great job on creating the pattern and the scarf

QB
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:03:30 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Under any other circumstances, an exuberant Roman soldier would be my idea of a perfect morning." -- Capt. Jack Harkness

Personal swaps? Absolutely!
Tephra
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008 12:48:02 PM »

That is awesome. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:04:03 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008 02:02:51 PM »

Tephra -Thanks kind of what I was thinking...maybe I could get NFL sponsership....lmao.  j/k  Hey, are you into science?

I am little bummed to be honest...I thought a few more people might have noticed my scarf and posted.  I really honestly wanted some feedback about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Esjay82
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008 02:23:13 PM »

AWww i love illusions scarves, very thoughtful pressie for your boyf! i keep thinking i will make my husband one.. one day! i made 2 for christmas gifts (snowflake one and a skull one) this past christmas, my friends loved them. great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cynlynn

Honey, milk doesn't come from chickens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008 02:24:39 PM »

that's super cool!  great job!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:04:50 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/cynlynn
Personal Swap anyone?
Tephra
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008 02:25:05 PM »

Geologist by training, though I've been employed more often in IT.

I love illusion knitting, though I haven't tried it yet, I just have too many projects in my queue and I knit too darned slow. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:06:05 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
inflagrante
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008 02:55:00 PM »

I think it is fantastic!!!  Aside from the fact that I'm from New England and a huge fan of all our great teams (Go Celtics!) - the scarf is amazing.  I just started knitting - I'm a crocheter - and that looks complicated as hell.  congrats on a wonderful pattern and scarf!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:06:44 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
myklia
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008 03:51:47 PM »

That is a great scarf.  Very little Craftster time at work today and if others are in the same boat, you probably still have more comments to come.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rumpazel
Craft Addict

Illuuuuuuuusion

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008 07:16:32 AM »

Awww...thanks guys.  You all made me feel better.  I thought my project might have been awful or something because no one really responded.  Thank you Myklia....patience is not one of my virtues...   Smiley

Tephra - I majored in geology and now I teach high school earth science so I am a little lax on my geology info, but I still love it.  There is a web site (I can't remember it right now, but it is on my del.icio.us and I have the same username) that has the best geology t-shirts,  Thy are those really corny ones with slogans like "just because I am gneiss, don't take me for granite."  I love them.

This was an easy pattern to put together just time consuming.  I can tell you guys how if anyone is interested.

Inflagrante - No joke....if you can knit, purl, and count, you can make this.  The beauty of illusion knitting is that it looks so tricky.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008 11:07:26 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terra Elan McVoy on Being Friends With Boys
Jeremy Toombs Performs His Poem "The Alleppey Express"
Finale Book Trailer
Author Bob Woodward Discusses the Economic Crisis
Bob Woodward on America’s Future
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...