A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,223
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 143
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Disney Rd. 8 COMPLETELY DONE  (Read 60203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissColee
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Cakewrecks made me famous! http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2009/02/this-is-how-you-show-hungry-whos-boss.html

why is the rum always gone?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #910 on: July 30, 2008 08:40:45 AM »

Im just saying for me, if it was cheap and I could skip to california every weekend to go.. it wouldnt be as fun as saving money for a few months and waiting for a few months to go.  Half the fun is waiting and getting excited to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

murbeck
They call me a redneck, and I reckon that I am

"the chief enemy of creativity is good sense"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: July 30, 2008 10:23:39 AM »

Im just saying for me, if it was cheap and I could skip to california every weekend to go.. it wouldnt be as fun as saving money for a few months and waiting for a few months to go.  Half the fun is waiting and getting excited to go.

I can understand that but do wish it could be slightly less expensive, for me there always seems to be something else the saved money has to go towards instead  Tongue  of course I'm sure that kaymadben is right in that there're a lot of expenses for them to keep it up and running nicely too so there's a reason behind it as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are ALWAYS smiling"
"That's because I'm happy"

Facebook
I'm Wistful
I'm pinteresting!

What good is warmth without cold to give it sweetness?
stitch81
« Reply #912 on: July 30, 2008 10:30:50 AM »

I wish it was cheaper to go.  We live in Iowa, so it is a 30 hour drive just to get to either park.  With 3 children, and with a limited budget always, it is hard to go.  We are planning on a trip in November or December, but the ticket prices for kids is just insane.  They will only probably ride a few of the kiddie rides and that is it.  And too, with the kids with us, we won't be riding much of anything so it seems like such a waste overall to go...  Sorry, didn't mean to complain...though I'm thinking that maybe we should rethink this trip.

But yeah.. cheaper prices would be nice, specially for those of us that have to travel from so far away to begin with, there is no chance of it becoming a Christmas everyday type thing for us.

Does anyone else think the summer is flying by?  I'm starting to hit panic mode with this swap.  We have so many family type things going on right now, that I will be left with a week of available time in which to finish my swap items....ugh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sixblueirises
« Reply #913 on: July 30, 2008 01:21:21 PM »

I wish it was cheaper to go.  We live in Iowa, so it is a 30 hour drive just to get to either park.  With 3 children, and with a limited budget always, it is hard to go.  We are planning on a trip in November or December, but the ticket prices for kids is just insane.  They will only probably ride a few of the kiddie rides and that is it.  And too, with the kids with us, we won't be riding much of anything so it seems like such a waste overall to go...  Sorry, didn't mean to complain...though I'm thinking that maybe we should rethink this trip.

But yeah.. cheaper prices would be nice, specially for those of us that have to travel from so far away to begin with, there is no chance of it becoming a Christmas everyday type thing for us.

Does anyone else think the summer is flying by?  I'm starting to hit panic mode with this swap.  We have so many family type things going on right now, that I will be left with a week of available time in which to finish my swap items....ugh.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if I will have everything finished. Work has been insane recently. I actually did over 25 hours in the last two days.  Shocked Of course, part of that is my own fault. (I'm a softie and nice about extending!)

It makes me really sad to hear that, stitch81. How old are your kids? (You may have already said that but this thread is ridiculous and I am not checking.  Grin )

Hopefully some of this information for traveling with kids @ Disney will be a help to you. If I remember correctly, you have never been to a Disney park, right? That's what I am basing this on.

The thing about Disney is that as many attractions as possible are designed to be young kid friendly. Normally only a handful of rides in each park have height requirements, and the rollercoasters are not that intense, so most of the height requirements are relatively low. Most potentially scary rides are designed to be humorous, rather than going for very scary. (IE the Haunted Mansion. It is funny, as long as the kids aren't first scared beyond reason by the dark and the concept of ghosts.) 

I'm not sure if you are familiar with something the Disney parks offer called a baby swap. Basically, the idea is to allow parents to take turns riding and watching the little ones. That way, both grownups get to ride without having to wait in line twice to make it happen. On most rides, you are issued a rider switch pass, and the first watching parent waits outside while the riding parent waits in line (or uses Fastpass) and rides. Then that rider switch pass is good to get several people through the Fastpass line. (I think rider switches are good for three people everywhere, but I am not 100 percent sure.) The really cool thing about baby swap is if there are one or two kids that meet the height requirement and like the ride, they can ride twice, once with each parent.

Here's also a couple of tips to help make the whole height requirement and baby swap thing easier for you guys.
1. Know the height requirements before you go. If your kid gets all excited for a ride they cannot ride, it may very well end in tears. It really helps to know this information so you can help them have reasonable expectations.
2. Along with that, be careful if they are small but brave. If they meet the height requirement for a ride by about an inch or less, whether or not they stand up straight can make all the difference in the world. Unfortunately, when cast members are measuring, they absolutely must hit the bottom of the height stick or they cannot ride. A lot of time, kids don't really understand this and they end up being denied for a ride they actually could ride because the cast member could not get them to stand up straight. Also, be careful about their shoes. It's not a bad idea to pick out one or two good pairs of thick soled tennis shoes and have the kids wear them the whole trip. If there is a difference in the shoes they wear, they could end up riding a ride one day and be denied that same ride on the next day. 
3. When will be doing a baby swap, always ask the CM out in front of the attraction how they do baby swap at that attraction before anyone gets in line. The principle will be basically the same, but there are slight differences everywhere. Please also ask this before your group splits up! A lot of attractions (probably all) must actually see the little ones before they give you a rider switch pass. (They're trying prevent dishonesty. Unfortunately, it is a huge problem with baby swap.)
4. Try as much as possible to use Fastpass for the rides which will require a baby swap. This will eliminate the problem of "what do we do while daddy is waiting in line" at least somewhat. It is especially important when the ride is basically out in the middle of nowhere. (Expedition Everest is a good example.) 

Okay, and I also have a few tips to help getting your kids comfortable riding as many rides as possible for them to ride. (Basically this section is how not to scare your three year old out of their wits!)
1. Research, research, research. It helps a lot if you are familiar with the rides before going. It is also well worth it to get a video about the parks or try to watch the travel channel specials with your kids. Disney can be very scary for little kids, but the more familiar they are with the parks the better off they will be. It's also smart to have a discussion about how things might be scary. I've heard about families who tell their kids that it is all just "Mickey magic" and that Mickey might let things scare you a little, but they will never, ever hurt you.
2. Start small and build up. The Unofficial Guide books have good scare factor lists,  or asking cast members also can help. Try starting with a few things that aren't really scary at all (It's a Small World or Peter Pan's Flight) and work up to things that are only very mildly scary. (Jungle Cruise) If they are still okay, try slightly more scary. (PotC) And so on and so forth. This same thing also works for rollercoasters.
3. Ask "Do you want to ride that again?" to get a really good gauge on how they actually felt about a ride. A lot of times a kid may seem pretty okay, but actually be really scared or vice versa.
4. Never say "It won't be scary" as a means of talking kids on to a ride, ESPECIALLY if you have not rode the ride yourself! If you say that and the kid turns out to be scared half to death on the ride, there is a very good chance that you have just shot your credibility with them. I have seen parents who did this on the first day of vacation and had extreme problems getting their kids to ride anything at all for the rest of it. Yes, a Snow White ride really can be one of the most terrifying things in the park! A better approach, esp if you are a first time visitor, is to ask the CM in the greeter position.  (The one hanging around the entrance to the line.) They all have rode the ride, and many of us are very good about giving descriptions of the ride and helping you and your child decide if they should try riding it.
5. Let your kid make the ultimate decision about whether or not to ride. Pretty much every ride has some sort of exit near the loading platform. Ask a CM and they can help you. (If the ride has baby swap, they may even be able to arrange one as they are leading you and the little one out.) I'm sure you don't need to be told this, but please don't ever force your little ones to ride a ride they do not want to ride, no matter how frustrating it may be to deal with a scared kid. I see it pretty much on a daily basis and it is absolutely heartbreaking!

Please let me know if you have any more questions! I hope this information is helpful to you!

Oh, as far as park costs go, I know it costs about 15,000 dollars just to do one performance of Wishes, the fireworks show in the Magic Kingdom. And an attraction that takes about a medium amount of CMs to run, you are talking about at least a hundred dollars per hour just for the ground level attractions CMs, not behind the scenes support. (My really fast, really loose estimate.) There are also some attractions that are huge. My understanding is that Kilamanjaro Safaris takes 60 plus cast members at one time. So yes, these parks are expensive. I would imagine that ticket prices basically break even with park costs, or maybe not quite.

Also, another thing to consider is that Disney parks are pretty cheap compared to other forms of entertainment. Look at what you pay per hour to go to a concert or major league football, for instance.

However, I know it can be an expensive trip. I really hope you guys are able to go, if not now at least in the near future. If it's WDW, look me up. I like meet ups! (I'm also one of the best guidebooks in town!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
sixblueirises
« Reply #914 on: July 30, 2008 01:49:27 PM »

I am reading a book about a guys childhood in the 50's and in it he quotes from Time Magazine the average cost of a day at Disneyland when it first opened was $4.90.  $2.72 for rides and admission, $2.00 for food, and .18 for souvenirs.  Also Time said that the biggest complaint people had in the first two years was the cost.

Not sure if this is accurate or not but I found it interesting!

Yup, that's the thing about money. It seems incredibly cheap to us, but only because the cost of EVERYTHING is constantly going up. A coke would have been what, five cents? Now it's near two dollars? Seems cheap to us, but you have to think relative to their time.

I was thinking about that yesterday. IMHO I think that if Disneyland/world was cheap all the time and you could go whenever you want, as much as you wanted to... I dont think it would be as magical. Kinda like the christmas everyday thing.

I actually do think you are pretty close to right about Christmas everyday. It is still fun when you are there all the time, but not as special. You also enjoy the parks in a different way. There are times when I go to one of the parks (usually Epcot) spend the afternoon and evening there, and only set foot on one ride. I think I also have gone and never rode anything. A lot of times, it is "why bother" if the ride is over a half hour wait.

You really also start to notice little details (and weird quirks) more. For instance, one of my favorite things about Fantasmic is the part where Prince Eric throws a blanket over Ariel.  Grin It actually influences where I sit, as you must be house left to see it. Basically, at the finale of Fantasmic, Ariel is sitting on the front of the big white boat as it goes around the stage area. She is in mermaid form, so her mobility is limited. Just as the boat goes offstage, all the other characters take shelter from the fireworks in the middle of the boat. Ariel cannot move, so Prince Eric throws a blanket over her. It cracks me up every time!

I also look for opportunities to tour people around. I love taking people who don't visit often around the parks. I'm very good at helping people get the maximum use out of their time, and I really enjoy seeing the parks through the eyes of infrequent visitors.

There are also a lot of super frequent visitors who know the CMs very well, esp if they hang around certain attractions a lot. Every area I have worked in has its regulars, and for the most part they are very nice guests to have around.

Oh, and lindy, I know part of the reason people complained about cost in the beginning years of DL was that it was pretty much completely unheard of for an amusement park of the day to charge people just to enter the park. One of the big reasons Walt decided to do that was that he did not want a lot of undesirable types using DL as a free hangout. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008 01:54:45 PM by sixblueirises » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love instant gratification almost as much as I love parentheses!
lindyv321

That is sooo Craftastic!

« Reply #915 on: July 30, 2008 02:23:14 PM »

I am reading a book about a guys childhood in the 50's and in it he quotes from Time Magazine the average cost of a day at Disneyland when it first opened was $4.90.  $2.72 for rides and admission, $2.00 for food, and .18 for souvenirs.  Also Time said that the biggest complaint people had in the first two years was the cost.

Not sure if this is accurate or not but I found it interesting!

Yup, that's the thing about money. It seems incredibly cheap to us, but only because the cost of EVERYTHING is constantly going up. A coke would have been what, five cents? Now it's near two dollars? Seems cheap to us, but you have to think relative to their time.

I was thinking about that yesterday. IMHO I think that if Disneyland/world was cheap all the time and you could go whenever you want, as much as you wanted to... I dont think it would be as magical. Kinda like the christmas everyday thing.

I actually do think you are pretty close to right about Christmas everyday. It is still fun when you are there all the time, but not as special. You also enjoy the parks in a different way. There are times when I go to one of the parks (usually Epcot) spend the afternoon and evening there, and only set foot on one ride. I think I also have gone and never rode anything. A lot of times, it is "why bother" if the ride is over a half hour wait.

You really also start to notice little details (and weird quirks) more. For instance, one of my favorite things about Fantasmic is the part where Prince Eric throws a blanket over Ariel.  Grin It actually influences where I sit, as you must be house left to see it. Basically, at the finale of Fantasmic, Ariel is sitting on the front of the big white boat as it goes around the stage area. She is in mermaid form, so her mobility is limited. Just as the boat goes offstage, all the other characters take shelter from the fireworks in the middle of the boat. Ariel cannot move, so Prince Eric throws a blanket over her. It cracks me up every time!

I also look for opportunities to tour people around. I love taking people who don't visit often around the parks. I'm very good at helping people get the maximum use out of their time, and I really enjoy seeing the parks through the eyes of infrequent visitors.

There are also a lot of super frequent visitors who know the CMs very well, esp if they hang around certain attractions a lot. Every area I have worked in has its regulars, and for the most part they are very nice guests to have around.

Oh, and lindy, I know part of the reason people complained about cost in the beginning years of DL was that it was pretty much completely unheard of for an amusement park of the day to charge people just to enter the park. One of the big reasons Walt decided to do that was that he did not want a lot of undesirable types using DL as a free hangout. 

That is what he said in the book, also that it being built in Anaheim, there were no forms of public transportation to get there. 
I think there are definately lots of ways to save money on a trip to one of the parks, seems you can always find a decent package that includes the hotel and tickets etc.  We haven't gone yet because I want both my kids to be able to enjoy and remember it to the fullest.  I think we may try to plan a trip for next year, the kids will be 8 and 4 then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch81
« Reply #916 on: July 30, 2008 03:13:34 PM »

However, I know it can be an expensive trip. I really hope you guys are able to go, if not now at least in the near future. If it's WDW, look me up. I like meet ups! (I'm also one of the best guidebooks in town!)

I wasn't going to quote the whole post, but thanks for the info.  This will actually be our 4th trip to WDW, but actually only 2nd with the kids.  The last trip we spent more time at Sea World and Islands of Adventure. We did one day at Magic Kingdom, but the kids didn't ride much.   My biggest obstacle is my son at the moment.  He finds something he likes and woe to anyone trying to take him away from it!  He will get on a ride, then scream bloody murder when it is time to get off... I don't look forward to that.  We had never used the baby swap...hadn't heard of it before.  The kids will be 8, 7, and 4 at the time we are trying to go.

Which park to you work at?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chrsdx
« Reply #917 on: July 30, 2008 05:14:41 PM »

We are driving down to WDW this October.  We got an Awesome rate at the Pop Century.  My brother in law the travel agent is meeting us down there and we got to use his discount..  I wish he could get a discount off the park passes as well.   Sad       I'm looking forward to the drive, but husband isnt..LOL   we have twin 10 yr old boys and a 17yr old son...should make for an interesting drive....  Roll Eyes 

Anyway, must get back to my crafting.  2nd large item on its way to being finished...
Have a nice week everyone... 
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't sweat the small stuff.

You can always find room for pie!

www.wists.com/chrsdx
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

« Reply #918 on: July 30, 2008 05:43:18 PM »

Do you mean you have to spend thousands of dollars for it to be magical or if it wasn't so expensive then you'd have a bunch of ghetto people there? Everything is so expensive because of how many people it takes to work there to make it magical, all the food that has to be cooked, the rides, maintenance, etc. I highly doubt they could make it any cheaper to go without losing money or breaking even.

I know that having to save up thousands of dollars makes me appreciate it a lot more.  It also makes me appreciate all of the times my parents took us there.  I feel like a trip there is worth every penny we use- -it is worth it to sacrafice all year to spend a week there.  Frankly, I'm a little offended by the phrase "ghetto people".  What exactly does that mean?  My family could look "ghetto" to others--my husband is covered with tattoos and I'm most comfortable walking around the parks in my yoga pants and flip-flops.  I think it's really best to keep away from sterotyping the "types" of people that the cost might keep out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
RikaHeart

" If the world is made of light and darkness..."

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #919 on: July 30, 2008 10:15:08 PM »

hehee Just posting to say.. I'm ALIVE! Just been busy Baby Sitting and House Sitting! Oiy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 143 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Halloween Lollipops
Halloween Decorated Sugar Cookies
How to Make a Fondant Sheep
How to Make a Fondant Goldfish
How to Make a Fondant Bunny
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...