A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Son of SNB DJ Bag question  (Read 1017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

trisarahtop
« on: May 29, 2008 12:07:15 PM »

So I searched the board, and then all of Craftster, and apparently no one here has made this bag and posted about it. I find that hard to believe, but I bow down to the power of the search engine anyway. So then I googled it. And I couldn't even find any blog posts of people making it! What??

So this bag, which is awesome by the way (seriously, no one's made it? I just can't get over that!), is knit using two strands of Knit Picks Wool of the Andes. The flap has an intarsia design on it. Anyway, it's a simple question, but I'm not much of a felter whatsoever, so I don't really know. This will be my first "real" (not experimental) felted project. Would it be more prudent, in the interest of not having 4 strands of yarn active while doing the flap, to use a bulky yarn instead of two worsted? Or should I just follow instructions for my first felt project?

Thanks ya'll!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just have a few words: nitwit, blubber, oddment, tweak.
Oi1knit2

"Knit and Conquer!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008 12:52:44 AM »

just saw your post....  i have knitted the DJ bag, and i love it! it has become my project bag! as for the felting, it was exciting felting it. although i don't know what would happen if you went one strand of bulky, i would assume that the tension would still be a bit different, and don't know what difference it would make into the felting. i was afraid a bit at first to knit with 2 strands, and it totally was not hard or annoying like i thought it would be.  as for the flap, i think i just knitted into the flap,  without having a second set of "live" strands. i don't remember it being an issue. maybe i tied off the other strands? at the top of the first "strap tab", i think? anyway, it's not a problem. so, if you're curious and wanna check it out, go to my link down below.............a nd let me know if you follow through with the bag!
p.s. my only pain in the side was sewing in the liner, because i used scraps of denim that weren't big enough, so i had to piece them together......well worth it though!

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nerfernie
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008 10:43:58 PM »

Hi Trisarahtop! I'm actually the author of this pattern, and I so excited to hear about people knitting it!! The reason I used 2 strand was for extra durability. I made this bag to really be able to withstand weight. The 2 strands make it super thick when it's done felting.

It does get a little hairy when it come to the intarsia, but because it's felting you can get away with a lot. Sometimes, I would cut the yarn and do a small knot in the back when it got frustrating because the felting erases that. Plus the backside gets covered by the liner! Let me know if you have any other questions, and hopefully this message doesn't get to you too late.

Oi1knit2- Your bag is beautiful!!! The color work turned out just beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Kansas City Barbecue
How to Modernize Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
How to Make Bagels
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits
Stuffing Recipe with Sausage, Apple and Cranberry
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...