A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,006
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FOC and the buyout  (Read 6153 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008 02:27:22 PM »

The FOC board seems the same to me now as it was before.  There are a few active threads.

We'll let yas know when new features are implemented and if we have new ideas brewing and need input.  We have times where we are implementing/working on things in the foreground for everyone to play with and other times we're working on improvement "behind the curtains."  I guess we just haven't implemented anything super fun over the last few weeks. Smiley

I know Leah and I (and some of the other mods) have been super busy planning and preparing for the 2008 Moderator Meetup (where we are right now - woohoo!).  Leah's also been working on a huge project/opportunity that will be announced sometime soon.  I had to work quite a bit of overtime in preparation for this 5 days off.  I've still been able to check in sometimes in the afternoon and in the evening from the hotel, but otherwise, we're out tromping around the streets of Boston right now. Cheesy

Do whatever is best for your situation and keeps ya happy. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008 06:59:32 PM »

Yeah... Things have been crazy here in Craftster-land lately! I'm working away on a new top secret Craftster project which is supposed to be unveiled on Tuesday (hopefully if it's ready!) and if not Tuesday then very soon after that.

And on top of that right now 9 lovely moderators and their significant others are here in Boston for our annual "mod meetup." 15 peeps in all! So there's been a TON of preparation on my part to plan for it. Including a 13 page itinerary! Yes, I am totally OCD when it comes to trip planning! Cheesy We're having a really nice time so all the planning was worth it! Grin

I'm sorry it's been quiet over in FOC land. I'll try to check in there soon. NameMedia is working away on helping me get exactly the right kinds of resources that Craftster needs in order to grow and improve. It's hard to make it happen overnight. But progress is being made in this area. Smiley

But, of course, you should do what your heart tells you in terms of resubscribing to be an FOC. I've never wanted people to feel forced or pressured to subscribe. In my eyes, subscribing has been something people should do when they feel they get enough out of Craftster to help pitch in for it's financial needs. And it's financial needs haven't gone away just because it has a new owner.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2008 07:01:48 PM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008 06:31:04 AM »

I'm glad to hear that more new exciting things are in the works.

I still get so much from the site, and enjoy it just as much. Guess my thinking is that now (whether right or wrong),with it not being an individual ownership that perhaps my subscription really means nothing in the grand scheme. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessimocha
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008 07:16:10 AM »

Guess my thinking is that now (whether right or wrong),with it not being an individual ownership that perhaps my subscription really means nothing in the grand scheme. Undecided

this in a way relates to my question on this subject - i am not a FOC yet, i've been meaning to sign up for the past year (oh jeez! it really has been that long!), should i still sign up now? are you still needing and looking for FOC's? i don't mind that craftster's been bought out - i can totally see how that's for the best in the long run. but are the FOC's still a big part of revenue for the site, or a big enough part of revenue to keep us signing up for it? cuz i totally will if it's needed!

thanks leah and sweets, and all the mods, for your hard work. you've made this my favourite little corner on the great big internet Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008 08:36:32 AM »

Here's how I explained it in the acquisition announcement. Smiley

So, if I've become a Friend of Craftster, does that mean it was all for nothing now that some fancypants company owns Craftster?

Nope. It wasn't all for nothing. But you knew I was gonna say that, right? But, really, the fact of the matter is that many many websites have a subscription component as well as an advertising component. It's a very important part of the business model that makes a site financially sustainable. And the more that can be attained from subscriptions, the less advertising needs to be relied on which is always a good thing. And keep in mind that Craftster might be owned by a larger company now but it has it's own bottom line and subscriptions help it meet that bottom line.

And even though there already are some great extra features that you get by becoming an FOC, we plan to add more and more over time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008 08:44:18 AM »

Basically there is this bigggg cherry pie (NameMedia) and we're (Craftster) a delicious piece of that overall tasty pie.  We're (Leah & crew) still responsible for making sure that our specific piece of the pie is chocked FULL of cherries, sugar, etc. (that we're meeting our bottom line responsibilities for the big pie).  We can't let our piece get skimpy and lose nummy filling. Wink  So FOC subscriptions are definitely part of helping us keep our bottom line in check.

Cheesy  Leave it to the pregnant chick to use a food analogy for finance explanation.  Is it lunchtime yet?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008 08:45:04 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
ThreadOrYarn
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008 08:08:07 PM »

In the last few weeks there has been little to no activity on the FOC board, and certainly nothing to give updates of anything new.

One word - Summer!  (at least in the northern hemisphere  Wink ) Nearly every board (outside of craftster) I'm on has slowed down this month. I figure it'll pick up again in September or so.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008 04:13:20 AM »

In the last few weeks there has been little to no activity on the FOC board, and certainly nothing to give updates of anything new.

One word - Summer!  (at least in the northern hemisphere  Wink ) Nearly every board (outside of craftster) I'm on has slowed down this month. I figure it'll pick up again in September or so.

Oooh, good point.  Someone else just started a thread about the amount of new threads slowing down.  I know it's true for mr.sweets4ever and myself.  We're in project/cleanup/outdoorsy mode in the evenings and on weekends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedMenace
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008 09:10:25 PM »

I'm sorry that we don't have a longer "warning" period before the badge is taken away when your subscription expires. This is something on the "to do" list.

So as an example:  If a person subscribes on 1/10/08 and then becomes a "swap angel FOC" on 3/5/08, their subscription doesn't expire until 3/5/09.

Could we maybe get our last subscribe date put into our profiles? That way we'd know well in advance without having to send out reminder emails? I'm planning to renew, but I'd like to wait 'til the last possible minute (assuming, of course, that I know when the last possible minute is) 'cause, well, that's how I roll...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 09:11:07 PM by RedMenace » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008 09:12:01 PM »

Cheesy

I know yours is 9/23. Grin

Leah will have to answer to the rest of your suggestion/question, though. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Touch Up Your Blowout
How to Tame Curls With Eva Scrivo
Eva Scrivo on Creating Perfect Waves
John Masters Organics Hair Salon
3 Ways to Style the Side Swept Bun Hairdo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...