A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,945
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craftster looks like !@#$ while loading  (Read 842 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hello color!
« on: October 04, 2008 03:35:55 PM »

For the last few weeks or thereabouts, Craftster has been very slow to load for me. At times, it takes half a minute for it to load, during which time it looks like this:

Not so pretty. Are you planning on switching to a tableless layout in the near future? (Not for the forum listings part, I mean, but for everything else.) I'm pretty sure that if you do, it'll show the text as it loads, rather than waiting for everything to load and displaying it all at once.

Until then - to make the lhs navbar not wait around in the center while the rest of the table loads, you can use a fixed table layout. (CSS property table-layout: fixed;.) What that does is, it renders the table based on just the first row. This way, table layout is rendered before the entire table loads, so the browser doesn't have to re-layout the table when it realizes that there's more stuff in the table than just the navbar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dragonmama
MILF-y Crafter

Retired Swapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008 07:14:39 PM »

It frequently looks like that when loading for me but it doesn't take quite as long as yours. But I do have trouble with certain ads loading, it seems.

That just means we need more FOC! C'mon people! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sandandsilk.wordpress.com

wists.com/dragoneyezed
hello color!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008 07:40:43 PM »

That just means we need more FOC! C'mon people! Smiley

That's not the only solution is my point. If the website is leaner and, therefore, loads faster, people will use it more (because they don't get frustrated by slow loads and leave), and provided people don't block ads, this will mean more ad revenue. Thus, making the site leaner = faster will pay for itself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 09:30:34 AM »

I agree that we do need to work on the coding of things to make that loading situation better. It's always helpful to be reminded of this. Thank you hello color! Smiley

We may indeed move to a table-less setup. We're working on a cleaner design and that will hopefully be done in CSS with no tables (except that the forum stuff itself will have tables).

Until then - to make the lhs navbar not wait around in the center while the rest of the table loads, you can use a fixed table layout. (CSS property table-layout: fixed;.) What that does is, it renders the table based on just the first row. This way, table layout is rendered before the entire table loads, so the browser doesn't have to re-layout the table when it realizes that there's more stuff in the table than just the navbar.

This is an interesting suggestion! I'll look into it and give it a shot. Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008 09:35:48 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Sports Cards Should I Collect
Maintaining, Protecting and Displaying Your Sports Card Collection
Selling a Vintage Sports Card Collection
Determining the Value of a Vintage Sports Card Collection
How to Play a Math Building Card Game
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...