A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raleigh/Durham finds  (Read 18923 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JillBoBill
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2008 01:30:02 PM »

Having worked at A.C. Moore and Michael's, I can personally tell you that the people that work there do NOT want to help customers and it's widely accepted (especially at Michael's) to treat customers poorly so long as they don't get so mad they complain to the General Manager (who likely would only pretend to care). This isn't to say I went out of my way to be mean, it just wasn't a priority to be super helpful. A.C. Moore wasn't so bad about it, but you can tell a lot about how a company treats it's employees by how the employees act towards their customers. Payroll is tight, so you've got a million things to do, five bosses breathing down your neck and only an hour to do all of it so you can go home and get a few hours of sleep in before coming in the next morning at 5AM to unload a 53' truck jammed to the gills. Not to mention the mayhem of seasonal resets, visits and plan-o-gram updates, department shuffles, cleaning up your aisles and God forbid you get stuck on a register! -- the last thing you feel like doing, under all that stress, is to walk someone around and show them things.

Those were the WORST jobs I have ever had, hands down. I'm much happier being a customer.

But, if you really are treated awfully, go above the GM's head - take it to the corporate level. A lot of big companies never hear their customer complaints, honestly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilSabina
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2008 04:08:38 PM »

Thanks for the tip on the Scrap Exchange.  Went there last weekend and got great fabric for my dog's mermaid costume (green sparklies!) and lots of other fabric, a corkscrew, and things I didn't need...

Seems like a place you'd have to check pretty frequently to get good stuff.  Maybe we should post alerts here if we go and see something good... I live in Raleigh so it's a bit of a chore to get there during the week, but if I knew there was something awesome I'd make the effort. Smiley

I work at the Scrap Exchange and would be happy to post when we get a great donation in, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by seeming too commercial (although we are non-profit). Just let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzgiggly

Women who behave rarely make history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008 11:32:56 AM »

I work at the Scrap Exchange and would be happy to post when we get a great donation in, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by seeming too commercial (although we are non-profit). Just let me know.

Oh my, yes please!  I can't imagine their being any objection to a non-profit recycling center posting when they get good stuff in. Smiley  A drive to Durham in the afternoon on a weekday for me is not likely unless I know there's something new.  I would love it if you did!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilSabina
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008 03:30:23 PM »

Scrap Exchange cool donation alert:
About  1 1/2 weeks ago we got some amazing fabric in--  Hoffman, Peter Pan, Jenny Beyer, and more. It's been selling like mad, but we still have lots of it left.

The Scrap Exchange
548 Foster St
Durham, NC 27701
www.scrapexchange.o rg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnya
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008 07:18:33 PM »

what luck. I just found this thread today, and had already mapped the scrap exchange after reading the discussion upthread. If I make it tomorrow I'll post and update here ....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnya
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2008 11:26:01 AM »

Me again, with a report about the Scrap Exchange. I went today and it was really cool. The fabric selection wasn't fantastic, but it is very worth a visit for buttons, scraps, old patterns and miscellaneous other stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilSabina
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2008 03:40:17 PM »

Hmm.... I guess we have different opinions on what = fantastic. 

Anyway, I'm glad you came by-- you should have said hello. I was  working on Saturday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzgiggly

Women who behave rarely make history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2008 05:51:51 PM »

I was there Saturday too. Smiley  I didn't buy any fabric just because it wasn't my style (I'm not a quilter and tend to look for big bold prints!) but had fun looking at everything.  evilSabina, how often do they have warehouse sales?  The last one I went to in the fall I got a ton of sunbrella fabric, it was amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

evilSabina
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2008 07:28:15 PM »

We're thinking about having a warehouse fabric only sale in March or April. I will post when I have any details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blisslyke
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2008 07:32:25 PM »

Guys-

Man, I have to school you kids! Let me tell you where all the goods are at!!!!!
To the person who couldn't remember the thrift store in the strip mall- that was "TRYON HILLS THRIFT STORE" On Tryon Road in Garner. See below where I sort of summarize my visits there.

Goodwills totally suck here. I'm serious- who the hell prices things with a marker??? Do you know how much scrubbing I've done on stuff to remove prices?
And how about overpriced? The furniture is always expensive.

The cary goodwill has been pretty good to me. I have found some good finds there, but it's cause I live so close. As one poster said, you have to always stop by and check stuff out. Some days you'll be amazed, and some days you'll be bummed.
And they don't take debit cards.. so make sure to bring in some chickens or something to trade. I always have to write checks. ALWAYS. Now, the Cary Good will has poor clothing selection but tends to have decent kitchenware and knick knacks. Their furniture is pretty good but it's overpriced. Prize finds have included a kick ass pedastool fan for 8 bucks, set of contemporary lamps for 12 bucks, and a sweet fabric home made chair for 20 bucks.

The Goodwill in Apex on Williams Street always presents some great finds. Especially purses. Good clothing to choose from and so so on the knick knacks. Once I got an AERO queen size air mattress new in the box sealed for $12. Got a GREAT suitcase there for 8 bucks.

Goodwill on Old Wake Forest Road totally sucks. Rarely do I find anything there except crap from Target that was probably cheaper at Target. Once got a set of stools there for 20 bucks. That's about it.

Goodwill on Louisburg road next to Capital Blvd, is AWESOME. I found some incredible out door decorations there and everything was well priced. Believe it or not, there's some NICE stuff there.

Goodwill at Briar Creek is okay. Found a couple things but nothing to write home about. Nice clothes and a bit higher scale than the other goodwills.

Goodwill at Glenwood & Lynn Road has always been good to me. I used to live close to it and found TONS of stuff.

Now- the NON GOODWILLS!

First off, my favorite thrift store is located in Fuquay Varina - it's called "Guardian Angel" and I find some awesome kitchen stuff there. I usually have great luck finding at least a few treasures. It's located on the Main Street and is massive. It's an old grocery store that has been converted. The drive there is pretty too, it's about 20 minutes from Cary/Apex.

The Salvation Army in Garner is really good if you hit it on a Saturday mornings when the donations are fresh. They are REALLY well priced. Once got a solid wooden decorative book shelf for 10 bucks. Can not tell you all the stuff I have gotten there.

Tryon Hills (Down the street from Salvation Army in Garner- How convienent!) is so so. Some days, I get a TON of stuff, and some days I can't find crap there. They have bags of miscellaneous toys for 99 cents that I have racked up on. They have some fantastic furniture prices, and always have some cool pictures & artwork. Each day they have sales on stuff, and LOTS OF WEEKENDS they have half off. No joke, talk about cheap!!

There's a thrift store down Capital in an appliance and tv plaza thats ran by a ministry- wow they are SO cheap. Got a highly detailed geisha doll last Thursday for 4 bucks!

Up the street, you'll pass "Cause For Paws" on the left side of Capital. Cause for Paws is a thrift store dedicated to helping animals! I TOOK MY CHIHUAHUA there and no one said a word. Awesome! I got a kick ass RAIN stick for 2 bucks there last Thursday and An awesome Fondue set.

Keep going up Capital and you'll find American Way thrift store on the right side. The same people own Tryon Hills Thrift store and Thrift World in Durham. Half off everything on many weekends and you either hit the jackpot there, or you don't get squat. Just gotta keep stoppin by!

About 50 feet from American Way is another Cause for paws. Good stuff! They always have the most amazing vintage furniture.

On Wake Forest Road, diagonal from the busted ass goodwill, you have "retails" which is a thrift boutique strictly for animals. Man this place is totally upscale and nice and the prices are very reasonable. I HIGHLY recommend it, great stuff.

Now- I hope this helps you guys. Don't step to this, I'm the hottest thrifter this side of Wake County. If you have any questions or need more info- look me up on AIM.

AIM:Rattytrollgirl

Peace Yall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Paige Davis Decorates Napkins With Stenciled Monograms
Pretty Savvy: Stamped/Painted Collar
DIY Fourth of July Decorations
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...