A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,996
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raleigh/Durham finds  (Read 21866 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kibathediva
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007 04:09:06 PM »

One thing I love about Durham is that it has a thriving community of artists.

Time After Time in Chapel Hill can be a lot of fun; my favorite Durham antique shop is Everything But Grannie's Panties.  It's a house down on Guess Rd and just exploring the rooms is a blast.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shegetsaround
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007 12:05:33 PM »

I went by the Scrap Exchange today and they just got in a TON of pretty, modern upolstery fabric that would make beautiful bags! I scooped up a bunch and then had to make myself walk away, but if any of you are into sewing, you should check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clayfaery
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007 12:13:19 PM »

I live about a mile from there I should go !! Not like my pile of fabric needs to get any larger
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fizzgiggly

Women who behave rarely make history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2007 10:32:18 AM »

Thanks for the tip on the Scrap Exchange.  Went there last weekend and got great fabric for my dog's mermaid costume (green sparklies!) and lots of other fabric, a corkscrew, and things I didn't need...

Seems like a place you'd have to check pretty frequently to get good stuff.  Maybe we should post alerts here if we go and see something good... I live in Raleigh so it's a bit of a chore to get there during the week, but if I knew there was something awesome I'd make the effort. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007 10:34:51 AM by fizzgiggly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fizzgiggly

Women who behave rarely make history

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007 01:35:14 PM »

The Scrap Exchange had a Warehouse Sale today - and holy cow.  All sorts of goodies everywhere.  I was really tempted to buy the used kiln they had, but wasn't sure where in my house would be safe to use it.

Most notable was the fabric. I now have so much fabric I think I could cover every surface in my house.  They had scraps (biggest pieces were around a yard, yard and a half) that were $5 for a bag (the bag was a plastic king size blanket bag, very generously sized), bolts that were $4, $7 and $10.

I only found out about the sale last night, otherwise I would have posted here.  Definitely something to keep an eye out for in the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

singingshanti
Hebrews 4:13-15

He's alive!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007 06:25:53 PM »

I've found a new favorite yarn store in downtown Cary: Shuttles, Needles & Hooks!

The address:
214 E. Chatham Street
Cary, NC

It's a little bit hidden away...it's in a little house, you'll probably have to park in the parking lot across the street because theres no parking available by SN&H.

It's such an amazing place to shop and browse...beautiful, amazing yarn...the whole upstairs is filled with sale items!  You can also buy spinning wheels, or whatever you call those Smiley

I definitely recommend it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JillBoBill
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2008 06:54:53 AM »

How surreal is this? Clayfaery, I recognize you!

You used to (or still do) shop at A.C. Moore and/or Michael's all the time - I used to work there (both of the stores, yes) and you'd come in all the time. The world is small.

In any case, this is an awesome board. Coming from NYC, I still think of Raleigh/Durham as a tiny, insignificant little speck with nothing of real value to offer the world, so it was a trip for me to see that not only did it have it's own board, but actual people using it!

That said, I like Cary (Containment Area for Relocated Yankees) and I'm so immensely glad I can afford to rent a NICE house here. They have alright pizza and a decent facsimile of 'bagels' and compared to NY, their thrift store prices are cheaper than dirt.

I suppose though, that if you live here your whole life, you've got a wider margin for comparison than I do. Still, Durham is nasty and Raleigh is fast on it's heels (says the girl who used to buy fake designer sunglasses from half-way-homeless people, loved dirty water dogs that were who-knows-how-old, rode on subways and used a public bathroom ONCE in Penn Station). Cheesy

I think the thrift store some of you might've been talking about - the one on Tryon Rd. -  is at the corner of Tryon and Hwy 70/South Saunders/Capitol Blvd. There's this weird old shopping center with a Wendy's and a Church and a .... Taco Bell, I think. I'm pretty sure, if it hasn't been closed by now, that it was in there and that it was crummy. If not frightening.

What about fabric stores? Other than Jo-Ann's and Hancock's (which I can never remember the location of) -- is there anyone else out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2008 09:22:40 AM »

I think there's a fabric store along 15-501 between durham and chapel hill (by the green tower, across from sam's and target) called "$7.99 fabrics" or something to that effect, I haven't been by in a while, so...hopefully still open?
The Nearly New Shoppe by Duke has moved to 2424 Erwin Road in a new building, and I have to say--there's not a LOT of stuff there, but every time I go I come away with some gem or another. The other day I got a fabulous vintage 100% wool jaeger brioche-rib cardi for only $3. I'm umm...actually wearing it now, as it is my new favorite sweater.
And just to re-stick-up for Durham--I've lived in my fair share of locales (NYC, Cali, Chicago, and Shanghai, among some others) and for a city where you can still live in a NICE house in a safe neighborhood with a yard and a garden for under $700 a month Durham has got a hell of a lot to offer, you just might have to work a little harder to find them (and maybe get a little help from the craftsters on this board Smiley Guglhupf makes a chocolate croissant as good or even better than any I've had in NYC, Magnolia grill easily rivals most of NYC's restaurants (it's no bouley, admittedly, but it doesn't set you back $300+ for 2 either), and the farmer's market downtown is easily cuter, friendlier, and cleaner than the one in Union Square. (sorry to ramble. I get excited about my eats.)
p.s. my latest favorite cheap dinner out is the nicaraguan buffet at Xiloa on 9th st.  $6.50, and they have lots of vegan and veggie options too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
clayfaery
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008 05:33:59 PM »

Hi !
speaking of food Dim Sum, at china one is amazing. The only time I've had better was when we were in Singapore .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2008 12:10:47 PM »

I live in Apex.

I use to drive into Cary to buy things from A.C Moore and Michael's, but I no longer shop at those stores. I find the employees are rude, not very knowledgable and don't seem to care too much about customer service. The same goes for Joanne Fabrics.

As for yarn stores, Great Yarns is a lovely yarn store, but they are really expensive. They carry high quality yarns and the people are very knowledgable and they have some good classes.

Shuttles Needles and Hooks is AWFUL! It's a small house renovated into a store, but it smells so musty when you walk in. yarn is usually everywhere, on the floors unwrapped, tangled. The ladies there are beyond rude and they don't seem to eager to help you find things. it's just bad all around. Their prices are too much.

Mamies yarn Haven is pretty nice, but they do not have much of a selection and what they do carry is usually synthetics and not the nicest quality. Pretty decent prices. I think it is run by someone who is just starting out in the business.

I have a friend in Asheville who raves about the shops there. I am planning a trip there soon to check them out....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Layering Formulas: Turtleneck and Tunic
Easy Layering Formulas: Tights and Trench
Easy Layering Formulas: Denim Jacket and Coat
Easy Layering Formulas: Puffer and Wool Coat
The Everyday Supermomma: Style Like a Supermodel
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...