A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,650
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raleigh/Durham finds  (Read 21689 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008 11:35:19 AM »

Having amassed a delicious new stash of awesome sample fabric from the Scrap Exchange warehouse sale (huzzah!) I'm looking for some help with my sewing machine--does anyone know of a good repairman/woman who works on older (Sears Kenmore, to be specific) machines?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
hk
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2008 07:01:54 PM »

Archie Johnson and Sons on Lake Wheeler Road does a great job on older, non-computerized machines. Address: 2323 Lake Wheeler Rd

Good luck!

Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2008 09:46:04 PM »

Mr. Johnson was and his son were so helpful to me a few years back.  They tuned up my antique singer sewing machine, (the kind you peddle) and were able to show me how to use it.  They even had supplies for it in stock!  They were also very friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2008 08:40:28 AM »

Thanks for the advice! I will have to stop by there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
RenataMcAdams
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2008 12:13:23 PM »

Hi, I too live in Raleigh and thank you for the links
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Renata
RenataMcAdams
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2008 12:19:08 PM »

Forgot to mention, that I agree with you regarding the Goodwills and Salvation Army.  Furniture and other non-clothes items are junk.  Although, when I was doing cloth dolls, I'd love buying pure silk blouses for $4, know that I would be using the blouse not to wear, but as fabric.  I am also not very thrilled with the flea market at the State Fair Grounds.  Other flea markets, in other states, had the most wonder eccletic stuff that could not only be used for decorating, but for crafting at reasonable prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Renata
mandybles

I <3 my pooch.

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2008 04:57:40 PM »

I don't have too much to offer to this thread, but I thought I'd give my two cents. The Goodwill in Apex across from Beaver Creek Commons was pretty good to me. I've only been there twice, but I know people who shop there much more frequently and rave about it. When I was first furnishing my apartment I got a coat rack ($5) small bookcase ($7) and twin headboard ($10) that were all solid hardwood. No nicks or scratches even, just a little dirty. I might have just gotten lucky, but it was a pretty good haul!

Ornamentea (www.ornamentea.com) in Raleigh is really nice. It's a small store where you can make jewelry (or just purchase findings, beads, etc.) and the staff are really friendly and helpful. I've only been once, but definitely plan on going back.

In Carrboro at Carr Mill Mall there's a beading store and a fabric/sewing store. I don't know much about them, but the fabric store is called Mulberry Silks (www.mulberrysilks.net). I've only been in a couple times for brief periods, but they have a great selection and just got in some cute Japanese fabrics. They also have TONS of buttons. I have to go back and learn more before making any judgments though.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cleahpatra
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008 09:02:53 AM »

Two notes:

- Unfortunately, the Electric Blender in Durham has closed down - I will sure miss that place.

- Raleigh Habitat for Humanity ReStore: http://www.habitatwake.org/restore/index.html
This is a great resource for furniture pieces, house paints, and various other odds and ends (doorknobs, fan blades, etc.) - I got a great multi-shelf furniture piece for drying paintings in my studio for $15.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Art: www.leahstuff.com
Comic: www.willrad.com
------------------------------
Etsy shop: www.futuregirl.etsy.com
maddiesmibbs
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2009 03:31:20 PM »

In Carrboro at Carr Mill Mall there's a beading store and a fabric/sewing store. I don't know much about them, but the fabric store is called Mulberry Silks (www.mulberrysilks.net). I've only been in a couple times for brief periods, but they have a great selection and just got in some cute Japanese fabrics. They also have TONS of buttons. I have to go back and learn more before making any judgments though.

I'm a little biased (I work there) but I honestly think the Original Ornament in Carrboro is the best bead store I've ever been to, and I've been to all the area ones plus stores in five states and two countries.  check us out at: http://www.theoriginalornament.com

I'm not much of a sewer, but mulberry's has some amazing fabric.  And while you're in the mall, definitely stop by Katie's for a pretzel. Smiley
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009 03:32:57 PM by maddiesmibbs » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruthgers
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2009 03:34:00 PM »

I don't have anything to contribute yet, but I just signed up for Craftster and wanted to say hi.  Smiley  I live in Holly Springs and grew up in Raleigh.

Hi.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sell Your Soap at Craft Shows
How to Make Money from Soap Making
What a Lye Is in Soap Making
How to Think Up Quilting Patterns
How Outline Quilting Works
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...