A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
329 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Raleigh/Durham finds  (Read 20552 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

carrievision

I'm walkin' on sushi.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2004 12:32:07 PM »

Here's a few of the non-standard (ie not Michaels or Joann's) places I've found in Raleigh so far -

Great Yarns http://www.great-yarns.com/
I went here to buy some yarn for a gift - seems like they have courses and everything!  It was really crowded the day I was there, but that could have just been bad luck.

Scrapbook Plaza http://www.scrapbookplaza.com/
Haven't been here yet, waiting until I have some money to burn.  Yay fancy paper!

Scrap Exchange in Durham (http://www.ciwmb.ca.gov/reuse/Profiles/ScrapXchange.htm)
A not-for-profit agency that has all sorts of weird crafty stuff for repurposing - old wallpaper books, random bins of scrap fabric, old boxes, weird foam shapes, etc.  

I'll keep posting more as I find them... I'm still seeking good thrift stores - the Salvation Armies and Goodwills here are not up to par!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MeOwZa
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004 07:30:27 PM »

If you're looking for "good" Goodwills-- try the one in Cary on Kilmayne Rd. Cary is a pretty nice one. Since Cary is full of 'rich-ish' people, the Goodwill tends to have some nicer things.

There is a little thrift shop on Hillsborough St. near NC State upstairs from another store (across from Zaxby's) that looks kinda cute. I've never been in.

I've been to the Scrap Exchange in Durham, I got a nice piece of plexi-glass for el cheapo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tentimeszero
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004 08:00:00 PM »

the flea market at the fairgrounds is good. i personally dont like the cary good will its overpriced and not that good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

then looking upward i strain my eyes & try, to tell the difference between shooting stars & statellites, from the passenger seat as you are driving me home. "do they collide?" i ask & you smile. with my feet on the dash the world doesn't matter.
carrievision

I'm walkin' on sushi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004 07:58:47 PM »

I agree about the Cary Goodwill - despite living REALLY close to it, I rarely go there.  It is kind of near the Cary ghetto (or as close to a ghetto as Cary gets! haha) The clothes are full of overpriced 80s fashion faux pas.  They just need to open a Goodwill near Preston/Morrisville, that would be the most bling bling Salvation Army ever!!!  (Dreams of designer clothes for cheap.. aah)

Last summer I went to a mystery thrift shop somewhere in Raleigh that I've lost the address to.  I have a feeling it was on Tryon Rd. somewhere in a strip mall.  (Which is oh so informative!).  I will have to go out looking for it again someday, but I'm not familiar enough with that area so I'll have to be prepared to get lost Smiley

Oh yeah, and if you ever go to the flea market, check out the frame-making ladies in the back buildings.  Not only will they make a frame for like 1/3 the cost of the custom frames at Michael's, you get it while you wait.  It amazed me how they cut everything so straight and perfect on the first try.  Someone even brought in this crazy cross-stiched thing with a curved top, and they cut the mat to match the curve.

Those of us in line also gave votes on what color matting the people ahead of us should use.  haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tentimeszero
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004 08:28:20 PM »

i defenitely cant stand cary. i actually live in preston, my boyfriend lives in north raliegh and we joke that my hoods scarier than his.
but anyways the goodwill off 55 in apex is slightly better if you live in the cary area. not much better though. theres a really great thrift store in raliegh somewhere it might be the same one. its by another fleamarket in a strip mall. ill find out exactly where next time i talk to steve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

then looking upward i strain my eyes & try, to tell the difference between shooting stars & statellites, from the passenger seat as you are driving me home. "do they collide?" i ask & you smile. with my feet on the dash the world doesn't matter.
wordie
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004 11:09:58 PM »

i don't have anything to add that's helpful-- just that my fam moved to cary when i was a junior in high school, and it was (suburban) hell on earth. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004 05:51:47 AM »

a word to the thrift store snubbers...one trip isn't enough to judge.  sometimes it's such a good store that the best stuff gets snatched up immediately, so it takes lots of regular visits to get the goods.
that being said, i have never been to scary cary's goodwill-i despise that town-but the goodwill in pittsboro (one block north of 64 in downtown) rocks my world every time i go.
and though it's pricey, the vintage store on the northeast corner of the traffic circle is chock full of amazing stuff-3 big floors of clothes, shoes, furniture, accessories, housewares-a very fun wat to spend an afternoon (sorry i can't think of the name-i moved away 4 years ago, but it's a very small town-can't get lost)
and yes, that flea market has provided me with deals on beads, chairs, silver, etc.  good people  watching, too, especially in the animal section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carrievision

I'm walkin' on sushi.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004 03:20:35 PM »

Oh, well I can't completely mock the Cary thrift store.  I have bought things there before - I'd say the housewares section is better than the clothes in general.  

Begin  some random Grin rambling....
I like Cary.  *blush.*  After growing up in RURAL hell in Upstate NY, suburbia is totally awesome to me.  I can get to a mall in under an hour, which is basically amazing.  I work in RTP so it's quick for me to get to work, yet I'm not too far away from other stuff.  I looked at living in RTP - completely the middle of nowhere!   I'm sure there are some desirable neighborhoods in Durham, I just don't know where they are. Smiley I lived in Preston two summers ago- the LEGENDS at Preston.  Morrisville is just kind of annoying because it's not really near anything.  
End rambling...

Anyway.  Thanks for the tips about Pittsboro.  I definitely need to check out the shops in Carborro too.

Oh, and I think that the thrift store I was talking about on Tryon Rd. is the Tryon Hills thrift store.  Check out the Raleigh thrift store guide. The descriptions are kind of amusing.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004 03:21:47 PM by carrievision » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mermandala
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004 01:59:52 PM »

I have to agree with firefly about visiting normally subpar thrift stores regularly.  It's all about the sorters in the back room!  They get to choose what goes out on the floor, and what becomes fabric scrap.  I found a super Vested Gentress skirt at the Goodwill off Wake Forest Rd. near Millbrook.  The next visit was not-so-good.  The Goodwill near Strickland has given me some good work clothes.  Target seems to unload a lot of their unsold clearance items there.  
As for art and craft supplies, there is a store called Jerry's Artarama also on Wake Forest.  I haven't been there much since I stopped working there--but they had some fun and random books, too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2004 02:04:50 PM by Mermandala » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bewitched

grab your glitter and your glue gun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004 10:23:23 AM »

Begin  some random Grin rambling....
I like Cary.  *blush.*  

don't sweat  it - i like cary too. yes, there is an "antiseptic/boring" quality to suburbia, and cary is full of rude ass rich people, but it was quiet and safe and people left me alone. always a good thing in my opinion Smiley
basically, it's close enough to the cool and interesting places, but still someplace i wouldn't mind raising my daughter Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cast your spell... bewitched bath & body
http://www.bewitchedbubbles.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview With Pamela Anderson at the 2013 International Beauty Show
Hair Color Secrets from the Pros
How to Give Your Hair the "Beach Wave" Look
The Elegant Updo Hairstyle
The “Sock-Bun” Hair Fake-Out
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...