A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt baby dresses (exploding with photo cuteness)  (Read 1165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2008 08:38:27 PM »

I decided to try my hand at making dresses for my almost-year-old daughter, since she finally stands enough to make dresses wearable.

The first was made from one of my son's t-shirts, plus scraps of an old shirt of mine.

Hulk baby smash mom's juggling sticks. ArrrrggghhhH!

Then hulk baby take nap. Being hulk hard work.

The second one was made from a T I got from my sister. I haven't heard this band, but the logo was nice and my girl needed something more punk rock looking to go with her crazy punk rock hair. It's really hard to see in the pictures, but I did a fun "crocheted edge" thing with my serger. I learned it on Sewing With Nancy, yay PBS! You basically go round and round with the serger, going over the serged edge and building it out. It looks like lace when you're done.

Things to do in this dress:

Run away even though you can't walk yet.

Yell at mom 'cos she won't open the fridge for you.

Put yer feet up with a cold one.

Hope you enjoyed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
Caine
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 08:44:53 PM »

Scrap-i-licious!!! great job. whas a hoozi lace is wonderful, you can make it out (glad you  drew attention to it) what is the sewing sew? must see if i get it, we forgets to turn on the tube. Such a gorgeous hulk of baby, yes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008 05:07:24 AM »

It's "Sewing With Nancy", on PBS, either Saturday or Sunday mornings, I think. Maybe around 9 or 10? It's always on after the kid's shows, so I end up seeing it. I think she's also got a series of books/videos out that many libraries have. I know the series I saw the "lace" in was "Serge with Confidence." Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008 12:19:17 PM »

much recon greatness!  I luv sewing with nancy (I've got videos from granny), though she freaks me out sorta too so I try not to watch too much at once  Cheesy  I'm going to try serger lace - thanks for explaining it  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitschyCoo
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008 02:18:39 PM »

Great pics!  I laughed out loud about the hulk falling asleep so my husband had to come have a look too!

Serger lace sounds scary, I broke 2 needles today doing normal stuff...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JennasMommy
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008 06:45:04 AM »

Love it! You daughter is adorable. I'm jealous of all that hair, my 17 mo old barely has enough to make a 'pebbles do' (See avatar).

P.S. I'd sure wish I could put my feet up on the desk while I drink a cold one right now, too bad I have to work Cool.

~~MARY
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008 06:47:14 AM by JennasMommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bayleesan
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008 06:49:54 AM »

those are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008 07:02:14 AM »

Thanks, everyone! Yep, that baby's got some crazy hair. Both her dad and I were bald when we were tiny, but she wound up with so much hair that we've gotta either cut it (which Dada says "No!" to) or barrette it everyday so it doesn't wind up full of bananas. Wink

The serged "lace" is really, really easy to do. You just have to go slowly, and serge over the edge of the last row you did. If you go too fast you can wind up with holes in yer work, but that's about it. I think it'd have helped if I monkied with the settings on my machine as well, but I can't find the manual at the moment and didn't want to eff it all up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Icemama
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008 03:03:07 PM »

Oooooo Im loving those T-shirt recons  Cheesy Your daugter is so so cute and her hair is the fantastic  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An Icelandic beginner crafter with lots of potential Smiley

My little crafty blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Message to Librarians from Mac Barnett
Reynolds Price Reveals Her Motto
Blair Underwood Talks About In the Night of the Heat
Meet Illustrator and Author Kadir Nelson
Meet Author Shirley Corriher
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...